Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catamount90

To those with Keurig coffee makers...

catamount90
15 years ago

...do you find they work okay when you have a large group of people (4 or more) that want coffee all at the same time? I'm thinking after dinner on a holiday for instance.

I'd love to get a Keurig but I'm wondering how practical they are for groups.

Does anyone use the special filter where you can use your own grounds?

Comments (9)

• bbstx
    15 years ago

I have used the special filter. It is a bit of a pain to clean, so I don't use it every day. I have it for those times when I run out of k-cups. DH and I do not drink much coffee every day...mostly a cup a day. He drinks very weak decaf and I like very strong regular, so the Keurig is perfect for us.

I haven't used my Keurig for large groups. I have used it in the mornings with overnight guests. Everyone just sort of wanders to the kitchen from time to time and makes a cup of coffee. I still have the old coffee maker tucked away for those times when I need to have coffee for several folks at one time.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I have the special filter, also, and we never use it.

I don't use the Keurig. I feel there is an odd taste to the coffee when I use it. My husband loves it.

Anita

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

I took mine to the football field for the dinner night our team was having. I didn't have a problem serving a group of people. You just have to wait a few seconds in between cups, and sometimes fill the water reservoir- no biggie.

I don't care much for the filter. But, I have used it when we were out of k kups. I use the 20% off coupon from BB&B towards my k kups- and recently used the $10 off a $30 purchase, which was like getting one box free. Costco had a box of 80 for $33, not sure if they still carry it.

I was hoping mine would break at the football field so I would have a reason to buy the prettier one by Breville, but it still works perfect!

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

It's great for groups that want different things, like mixing caffeinated, decaf, & tea. Each cup brews in about 30 seconds (but I haven't actually timed it). We also still have the regular pot coffeemaker for whatever the group will be mostly drinking.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

I love it. I did not like using the filter, too much cleaning.
    I use it for large family dinners and it doesn't take much longer
    than just pouring each cup...plus you don't have to pour 8 cups and then
    wait for a whole pot to brew. Its great for decaf also. My favorite
    is the organic sumatran reserve.
    vic

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Cuisinart has thrown its' hat into the ring and their machine uses pods or the basket holds regular grounds. Pros are: the capacity to use regular coffee or the pods which have less packaging than Keuring or Tassimo, nice looking and a 3 year warranty. Cons not good for tea but you hear mixed reports about how good the tea is anyway (not easy to keep the coffee flavour out) and a bit slower than some machines.

Here is a link that might be useful: cuisinart cup-o-matic

• pp5150
    15 years ago

I have the extra filter have only used it when I ran out of pods, I try not to ,makes extra steps filing and cleaning that I try to avoid. For large groups it works fine, people have to wait a few seconds for their cup. I do keep my regular pot if I have a really large group. Coffee comes out great, tastes good and hot.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

I loved the idea when I first saw them and almost bought one. I then sampled some at Macy's and at two different friends' homes. I was underwhelmed with the quality of flavor. (I love a good cup of coffee.)

The Keurig worked great at my friend's home where anyone could wander up at any time and help herself. Waiting your turn was not a problem.

If your family doesn't drink a lot of coffee and everyone likes something different, the Keurig would be a perfect solution.

• eal51
    15 years ago

We have found the Keurig to be just fine for large parties. Since my wife is a church choir director, we have choir parties at least twice a year - some times more. That means at least 40 people per party. And they are coffee drinkers! Never a problem - never a delay. Very practical.

We have a variety of K-cups that we purchase online. We have our favorites including Newman's Own, Emeril's and others. There is also tea K-cups and decaf K-cups.

We do have the filters but they are messy so we have abandoned using them.

Enjoy the journey.
    eal51 in western CT

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths