Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baylorbear

Please help with granite recommendations!

baylorbear
13 years ago

DH and I picked a slab of granite yesterday, and while I like it, I don't think that I *love* it. I woke up at 3:00 this morning, thinking about our choice, and I couldn't go back to sleep. I think that I want to keep looking. DH is not going to be happy when I tell him that our search for granite is not over!

We picked a slab of Black Cosmic. I don't have a picture of it, but I looked at pictures online last night and the slab that we picked is not very pretty compared to other pictures online. Some of the pictures online have a lot more contrast than the slabs that we looked at.

DH really wants a dark countertop. I prefer lighter countertops, but am open to something darker. I am worried about the kitchen looking too dark.

This is what we started with:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a picture of the new cabinets:

{{!gwi}}

Please help with recommendations for the granite! What would you use in this kitchen?

Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• sixmagnolialane
    13 years ago

I'm with you, prefer the light. With dark top you would see anything left behind from crumbs to liquids - the light top is more forgiving and a bit more timeless perhaps.
    Have you looked at Santa Cecelia granite?

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

I looked at pics of the black cosmic. It's really pretty. But your stone has to speak to YOU. If it doesn't make your heart sing, then it's not the stone for you.

Do you have pics of inspiration kitchens? That would be where I would start. Find pics of kitchens that you really LOVE and that have the same general cabinet and floor color combinations that you already have.

Then I would recommend that you take a cabinet door and perhaps a floor sample with you to the stone yard. Pick stones that you LOVE, and then put your door and floor sample against them and see how it works for you.

That's how we did it. I was actually surprised that we came out with Kashmir Gold when I was so in love with Typhoon Bordeaux. That's just what worked with my combinations.

And I'm sure you can find a way to make it up to hubby. ;-)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh those sleepless nights... The worry, the fears, the
    2nd guessing. I took forever to choose, my DH built plywood
    counters with frustration. He wanted dark, I wanted
    light... we wound up with dark but only because I fell
    head over heels in love.

Wait. I urge you to wait, don't rush this. It is like
    true love you want it to last. You need to have a spark
    for your granite. You will be cleaning, scrubbing, and
    caring for your counters for a long time. Stone is forever.
    Well until you get a load of money to change it. But
    plan on it being forever.

So you love light...I will post some images so maybe
    you can convince your Dh to love light too. Keep in mind
    that the person who cooks and cleans the most should
    have the bigger vote on the counters.

Your question what would I put there... Ummmm so many
    stones so little time. Gosh your kitchen is lovely
    any granite would look beautiful. No fears.

~boxerpups

A very light stone in the Santa Cecilia family
    almost like White River

Verniz Tropical

Lapidus

Golden Persia (okay both light and dark... )

Yellow River

Colonial Cream

Bianco Romano

Copper Canyon

Copper Canyon from Marblehead Designs

Golden Valley

Cream Bordeaux

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the replies and advice! My mom and I are going to a couple more granite yards tomorrow. I'm taking the camera, a cabinet door, and a floor tile. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that I love and that DH also likes!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I'm with your DH, I like darker counters...as witness the fact that we have light-to-medium tile flooring, medium cherry cabinets, and Absolute Black Premium counters...

It's up to your DH and you. I think the idea of going out w/your mom instead of your DH will make it easier to for your DH to accept your decision...b/c he won't have to go with you! But please get his buy-in on the new slabs as well... Pick them out and then take him to see them. If you're really excited, then show him that excitement so he knows how much the new slabs mean to you. Most husbands seem to be OK with things aesthetically if their wives are really excited/happy, even if they're not thrilled.

However, if your DH really hates the slabs, you may have an issue.

Good luck!

• baylorbear
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Buehl! Don't worry - I would never make the final decision without DH. We have such differing opinions, that we are both going to have to compromise.

My mom and I went to two granite yards yesterday and I only took pictures of ones that DH would even consider and that I would be happy with too. DH wants dark (think grays/cooler colors) and I want it to be warmer and have some browns to go with the cabinet color. I found two that I think that will work: Yellow River and Copper Gold.

I showed them to DH last night and he said that he likes them enough to go look at them on Saturday, so we're making some progress! Yay! ;-)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I'm glad you've found a couple that you both like. Choosing granite is so hard. DH is pretty much leaving this one up to me (thank goodness), but it puts the pressure on to pick right!

I will caution you not to have you both settle on a stone just because you can't agree. DH had very strong opinions on house decisions for the first 15 years of our marriage. We couldn't agree on light fixtures, tile, dining chairs, art work...you name it. We compromised on a lot of those decision to the point where neither one of us really like what we ended up with, but at least we both agreed on it. Take the entry and hearth tile, for example. I gave in because I didn't exactly hate the tile, but I never liked it much either. We both regret it, but we've had to stare at it every day for 10 years! Fortunately, we're replacing it all during this remodel.

DH is so busy now with work and our little ones. I decided that I'm going to pick what I love and sell him on it. Now it seems that he doesn't much care about whatever I pick!

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Good luck, and let us know which stone you choose!

• christian_home
    13 years ago

OMG I have had some sleepless nights myself going through this process! Finally installed Monday and I freaked out...love the granite but it looked so out of place in my house. I finally figured out that I needed a few days to adjust so it wasn't so "IN MY FACE" Five days later I have adjusted and not only LOVE my granite but LOVE it in MY HOUSE! Good luck to you...it is all worth it! Now get some SLEEP! I have Crema Bordeaux and love it!