Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Creamy white cabs, stained island, stained wood floors?

16 years ago

Hello everyone. DH and I are having a house custom-built. We are in the process of selecting cabinetry for the house. Our look is what I'll call "clean traditional" - meaning, mostly traditional but with some cleaner lines / less decorative wood trim and finishes. Our current favorite scheme is creamy white cabinets on the walls and a stained wood island and stained wood floors in the kitchen. The stain on the floors and the island will not be identical but they will complement each other. The stain will be a medium brown walnut-ish color, not cherry or super-dark. I'm not sure yet whether we'll use granite or quartz on the countertops, but I think the countertop will have a creamy white base to it. I have reviewed the "Finished Kitchens Gallery" and saw 6 or 7 entries that had colors similar to ours. But I wanted to see if anyone had relevant photos not in the F.K.G.?

Thanks in advance!

try_hard

Comments (11)

• 16 years ago

My grantie just went in today... ivory perimeter cabs... butterscoch glaze island. We are now trying to pick stain color for oak floors... we are happy with it so far... but I think the floors are the big decision... slightly darker than medium is what we are shooting for. I'll have pics in a couple weeks when floors are done.

• 16 years ago

Here's a shot of my kitchen. Oyster maple perimeter cabinets and nutmeg antiqued cherry island.

{{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

Oh, the floor stain. I about had a nervous breakdown last weekend selecting the floor stain. We finally choose Fruitwood (minwax) and I can't say I'm 100% sold yet. Everyone besides me thinks it's perfect. Anyway, my cabinets are white with a glaze that makes them creamy, and the island is maple with a stain and a glaze on it. Here's a pic with several stain samples. The ones shown are (L to R) golden oak, fruitwood, early american and the one across the bottom is provencial. The one I selected definitely looks best with the island - I just love dark wood. Wish I'd have selected Provencial. All are minwax stains.

I took some pics since the floors were stained this week, but they aren't in photobucket yet. Will try to post tonight.

Also, there was a similar question a couple of days ago. I have pics of my last house with the same setup - white perimeter, stained island and wood floors. The link to that thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other thread

• 16 years ago

This one was taken yesterday after the stain was on the floors.

• 16 years ago

Very pretty - your floors turned out great with Fruitwood.

• 16 years ago

Thank you for the photos; I hope my kitchen looks as nice as these! What is your white cabinet paint called? And is this the same white you've used for the trim throughout your house?
    try_hard

• 16 years ago

try_hard, I'm not sure if your question was for me or not, but if it was... My cabinets are just a plain white and would probably be the same or close to the trim, except that they are glazed, so it doesn't look the same. In fact, I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the white unglazed pantry doors. But that's for a different post.

I'm sure yours will come out beautiful!

• 16 years ago

If you're referring to mine, the cabinets are Omega Dynasty - the color is oyster and we had the trim in the kitchen/family room painted the same color. It's not that far off from white, but it's enough that I would notice the difference - we have kept white trim throughout the rest of the house and it flows seamlessly. (At least I think so - and no one has ever noticed)

• 16 years ago

jscozz - what stain color did you choose, and do you have any pix to post? I need to select my wood floor color soon, and I'm havog trouble deciding btw minwax dark walnut and provincial.
    thanks!

• 16 years ago

Here's mine. Perimeter cabinets are painted SW Alabaster. The island is a custom color that we called "boot polish brown," a very rich color. The floors are walnut, with no stain, just a poly finish:

• 16 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of our almost finished kitchen.