Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleny

Let the games begin! Budget remodel of 65 year old kitchen.

Nicole
12 years ago

I kind of pushed hubby along to get going on our DIY budget remodel (our cabinets are here and I'm dying to get going!) and here are some first demo pics. Please ignore any messes. :) Here is the new layout. This wall we're working on is the bottom of the layout. The second layout pic is before some cabinets were tweaked, but it shows where the wall and doors to the basement stick out into the kitchen area. I hope the photos aren't too large for anyone.

When we bought the house 12 years ago we quickly repainted the shiny chocolate brown painted cabinets (the walls and ceiling were an equally shiny avocado green) and went over the very worn gold flecked Formica with marble tiles and put up a cheap ceramic tile backspash and covered the terrible dirt colored spotted linoleum tiles with cheap-o peel and stick tiles that I could actually see where I needed to sweep/mop. For some reason the original owner/builder made the counters higher than normal. We added a tiny bit of height when we went over the countertop with cement board and the marble, but it was already much taller than standard.

We've started by taking down part of this wall that is adjacent to our back (and main) door. We let our son write on the wall before we tore it down, which of course thrilled him.

{{gwi:1973713}}

This is standing in the small hall by the back door looking into the kitchen. Our stairs to the upstairs are on the right of the photo.

{{gwi:1973714}}

This is standing where the doorway to the dining room currently is. (the right side of the layouts) That wall will be opened up and there will be a peninsula there.

{{gwi:1973715}}

This is me standing in the corner where our little table currently is and where we removed part of the wall. This shows my entire counter area as it is now. Not much usable space at all. You can see here next to the stove how much higher than normal the counter is!

{{gwi:1973716}}

And the plaster is down!

{{gwi:1973717}}

{{gwi:1973718}}

We let our son take some whacks at the studs. Needless to say, he didn't get to far with knocking them down.

{{gwi:1973719}}

And here we are with the studs down and the electrical temporarily moved. Next on the agenda is removing that window (managed to track down some NOS aluminmum siding to match our outside) and put in a window about where the stove is now sitting and where the new sink will be.

{{gwi:1973720}}

Comments (7)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yeah! I will say that your red and white makeover was a huge improvement on brown and avocado!

• Nicole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I took a pic with my cell phone of a picture we took when viewing the house before we bought it. The fugly curtains are NOT mine!

{{gwi:1973721}}

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

So exciting! Wow- you were not kidding about the green ceiling!!!

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Very excited for you... what a start! I was a little confused between the plan and pictures until you wrote about moving the window... now I get it!

I notice you have the fridge on the end of the run, like me. Hopefully you've ordered it hinged right (ie: handle in the corner) and can then put up with everyone and their brother telling you you've ordered the door the wrong way! Or maybe you have extra space at the end and it won't matter for you?

• harrimann
    12 years ago

Are those metal cabinets?

• Nicole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, very exciting! Not only am I excited to have soft close drawer glides, but I'm excited to have any drawer glides at all! The drawers here are just wood on wood and there is no gliding to them at all. More like tugging and sometimes almost wrenching your shoulder out of place when the humidity is up.

Yeah, windows are moved and eliminated. We're sticking with the existing fridge but the door can be changed. And there is going to be s bit of space at the end of the run because I accounted for the extra space for a larger fridge at some point plus a little bit so the door can swing back enough (the shortening of that wall should take care of that anyway). I think our water cooler will fit in that space for now or my husband can build something that fits perfectly. That fridge is only a few years old and we have a tight budget and I'm very cheap, so it stays for now! The DW is staying too, but it's a Bosch that's only a couple years old as well.

I did splurge on a scratch and dent Elextrolux duel fuel range from Sears Outlet that is white as well. Would prefer all stainless, but standard appliances can be replaced down the road later.

• Nicole
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You could seriously see your reflection in the paint they had on the cabinets and walls (in most of the rest of the house too) it was so shiny. And the ceilings everywhere were done the same lovely 70's colors as the walls.

Jilly, no they are painted plywood that the owner built right into the space. They will be a PITA to get down.