Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

faucets for farmhouse sink and prep sink

flseadog
15 years ago

I'm stuck on what to get. Faucets like the Kohler vinnata or the showhouse woodmere seem to arc too high (in size and price) and I'm afraid they will be too big and overwhelm my kitchen. Also it seems too modern looking for traditional kitchen. The one I really like, the Kohler fairfax with the pullout spray seems a bit too small for the farmhouse sink and maybe a bit too big for the prep sink (16 x 20 stainless). Has anyone had experience with the fairfax at a farmhouse sink? Does it look too wimpy for the farmhouse sink? Is there something bigger than the fairfax and smaller than the vinnata that I should look at? I really want both faucets to have the spray as part of the faucet and to only have one handle. I don't care if the spray is pull out or pull down but I don't want a separate side spray. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

I have both faucets...the full-size Vinnata at my main sink & the Fairfax at my prep sink.

Note there are two sizes of the Vinnata: The Primary sink faucet is the 690 and the Secondary sink faucet is the 691. The 691 is about 1-1/2" shorter in height and has a 2" shorter reach. (See the link below, page 2, for sizes.)

However, if you have a farm sink, I think you need a bigger faucet. Additionally, the Vinnata, IMHO, is far from modern, it's much more traditional...it's one of the reasons I like it. I have the functionality of a modern pulldown faucet with a traditional look.

As to the Fairfax being too big for the prep sink, I think it fits fine. I have it at my 15-3/4" x 15-3/4" prep sink and it works well there. Your sink is larger.

Pictures in this thread: Thread: Best Kohler finish for Ticor stainless sink?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Vinnata Installation Notes

• astridh
    15 years ago

I have the Rohl country kitchen pull-out. They are similar in shape to the Fairfax. They come in two sizes: I have the smaller one for the prep sink and the larger one for my big 39" wide double sink. The size of the faucets go well with the size of the sinks. I love the look and they function well. They are expensive, though (I don't know how they compare to the Vinnata). Sorry I don't know how to paste in a link, but if you google Rohl and then click on kitchen and then PULL-OUT you will find them. I have a pretty view out of my sink windows, and I didn't want a high faucet to compete with that.

• flseadog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys. Buehl in your kitchen the faucets look perfect and so different than they did in the showroom. Astridh, that's also one of my worries---not that the view from the sink is so beautiful in my case, but that the Vinnata will arc about 7" above my window sill and look disproportionate to the space. We will have plantation shutters on that window someday and I keep imagining the Vinnata outlined against the shutters. Maybe that's part of why yours looks good to me, Buehl, because it does have such a pretty view behind it that I'm seeing that instead of just focusing on the faucet.

• richpoor
    15 years ago

I chose the Rohl Country faucet to go over my Shaw's 30" farmhouse sink, instead of my original first-choice, the Kohler Vinnata, so it's funny that they're all mentioned here!

I originally wanted the Vinnata because I liked the pull-down style, but ended up with the Rohl because:
    - Several people I talked to said they had to futz with weights to get the Vinnata pull-down to work right. Not a big deal, but something.
    - The pull-down part of the Vinnata that you'd hold in your hand while spraying felt (and looked, but that's personal) a little big and clunky in my hands.
    - The Rohl's unique button-style spray activator works really well and is easy to operate, no rubber buttons. It also stays in spray mode without having to hold a button or anything, as the Vinnata does too. (Many faucets, like the Grohe, you have to hold a button for the spray, unacceptable to me.)
    - I got to try the Rohl with water in a store, and was blown away with well the lever action worked. It was an instant win. I'd tried a friend's Vinnata once, and it seemed fine, but the Rohl and I clicked.
    - I LOVE the white porcelain handle accent on the Rohl!

Of course, I'm blowing smoke here 'cause my faucet is still in a box and I haven't used it yet.

I spend more time with my kitchen faucet than I do with my husband (and he doesn't spend enough time with the kitchen faucet, but that's another story). I'm just about married to the thing, so money was (almost) no object. This wasn't the place to save a few hundred dollars or make a snap decision (not unlike choosing a husband :) ).