Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnzzy

all of a sudden, I think I made a HUGE mistake

fnzzy
16 years ago

I'm digging around today with my granite samples and my cabinet sample and I brought them into the bathroom where (obviously) the light is much brighter but where I have white woodwork that I know I'm going to use in the kitchen but all of a sudden I got this horrible feeling that the color cabinets I have picked are hideous - white painted maple in amaretto creme. Once I brought the cabinet back out of the light into the house I couldn't shake the very yellow/off white feeling.

I think I've made a huge huge mistake. Its 4:30 on monday, no one answers at the cabinet place, I don't know if my cabinets have been officially ordered or not. OMG I don't know what to do other than wait until the morning and call the cabinet girl and tell her what a massive mistake I think I've made.

someone else tell me you've had this happen and it all turned out well...ok???? please???

Comments (19)

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh, I forgot, the mistake is that I should have just gone with my first love and gotten white. Plain white.

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Buffettgirl - take a huge breath and relax!!!! I felt the EXACT SAME WAY shortly after I ordered my cabs. I, too, had initially thought white, but then I thought, "no, I want something creamier - a bit warmer..." and decide on "wheat sheaf" instead of stark white. Well, let me tell you how many sleepless nights I spent fretting about my decision! I went to the paint store to look at paint for the walls, only to discover - EGADS - the cabs look GREENISH in certain lights and next to certain paints. GREEN! NOT YELLOW (which I like) but GREEN! UGH. It was awful. BUT, it was too late. The cabs were ordered.

What could I do? At that point just try to pair it with colors that would make it look more white or yellow and less GREEN!!!

In any event, they are in now and I love them. They look whiter than the little sample seemed (I think anyone that came into my kitchen would call them white since truly there are so many variations of white), and they look beautiful on the walls. I wish I had taken a deep breath and not lost so much sleep (and years) worrying about it.

Just remember, they are not going to be sitting next to stark white cabinets, and depending on the paint choices and backsplash choices you make, you can bring out whatever tones you choose.

There must be a reason you veered to the amaretto cream to begin with - some reason you decided against the white (mine was that I've lived with white kitchens my entire life and wanted something a wee bit different, but that was still light and bright and had that white feeling to it without being overly white).

GOOD LUCK!

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Oh - I forgot to add that all of the trim in my kitchen is white, and I actually have ordered white subway tiles for the backsplash - in an effort to bring out more yellow and less green in the cabs. If you don't want to bring out the yellow in your cabs then don't use white subways - but as far as the trim on the doors/windows/etc goes, the white looks fine with the "off-white" cabs. Noone would ever even notice (including me - I just had to go look!!!).

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oh socalthreems! thank you thank you thank you. That's exactly what I needed to hear. There WAS a reason I went with the glaze and that was because I wanted warmth.

so what I did was I walked around the house with the flooring and the door and the granite (which all go together divinely) and tried them in all the light in each room. I also paired them all with some items from my current kitchen that I know I"ll be reusing (decorative items) and I think I'm ok.

not 100% convinced but I am better. What really got me was the DH all of a sudden voiced displeasure with the glaze too, and he hadn't said boo up until now.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Don't you just love it when the DH has said nothing all along and then decides to "chime in" when it may be too late!!!

• dianalo
    16 years ago

Hey,
    I think you need to call the cabinet place and have them do a "pause" for a day or 2 (or as long as you need). Your first instinct may be right, but you also have an instinct to panic that you made a mistake. You need some time and perspective to figure out which is the stronger feeling.
    If your dh is not loving the glaze and you are no longer sure, that seems to point away from it.
    HTH

• Fori
    16 years ago

Dianalo is right--see if you can put it on hold. But even if you can't, it'll be fine. You knew what you were doing when you ordered it and it WILL look nice.

• xoxosmom
    16 years ago

It must be the day for cabinet freakouts. I just finalized our order. I was price conscious throughout and then on the way home I realized I might have overspent. I scrambled making phone calls while driving. The cabinets are on hold until the morning and I can figure things out. Yikes.

I am sure the amaretto creme will look lovely and warm in your kitchen.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm so glad you all didn't laugh and say "stupid TKO freak" lol...cause that's how I feel right now.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

if you don't know if the cabs have been "officially" ordered or not, i'm assuming you have just recently placed the order? if so, relax. remember, paint is the LAST step in the process and i'm assuming that they haven't even built the boxes yet. right? GL and let us know what happens.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Nah...not "stupid TKO freak".

Just a stupid TKO freakOUT. Wouldn't be a remodel without a few of those freakouts.

• Fori
    16 years ago

and, just to be clear, it's the freakout that's stupid, not you. :p

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL fori - I understood. heehehe.

someone in another thread just posted this picture which IS the color that I have ordered and I look at it and I love that. LOVE it love it love it. Bust I'm still freaking:
    {{!gwi}}

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I am having a freakout but it isn't the cabinets (yet). It is PAINT. May start another thread. I need some sane advice.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think we need a general freak out thread....maybe we'll all feel better.??

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Freak-out thread sounds hilarious to me. I freaked about the lighting - called my KD at 9:30 tonight. And I am still unable to decide on a faucet. Meantime, we aren't even scheduled for the demo till January - so I can imagine how much I will be freaking by then!

Buffett- I agree about putting a hold on your cabs till you go take another look and reassure yourself. We all seem to torture ourselves in this process - it's part of the deal to second-guess. But mostly, it turns out ok. There is almost nothing that can't be fixed or changed.

Malhgold - ain't it the truth about DH's who keep quiet till it is too late! Grrrrrr. At that point, it is best to ignore them.

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

It's all fun and games until somebody loses their mind...then it's a remodel! ::grin:: Mine occured with a sudden obsession that the fridge would be too wide and the door would bump the breakfast bar. I was completely wrong. It was, however, too tall. Which I missed, because I was panicking horizontally and not vertically. (I'll never make THAT mistake again! Next time I will panic equally in all directions! HAH!) Even with that little mishap I love my kitchen.

I completely understand your worry, but I hope it helps to know we have all been there, and you will live through it. Now is the time for the glass of wine/margarita/cup of sleepytime tea and a breather. DH has lost all voting rights due to a late ballot submission. Call your KD tomorrow and talk with him/her, then make a decision. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Emmie

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

The cabinets are lovely; I remember many moments like this when we built our last house. Bolting up from my bed at 3 a.m. in a cold sweat and thinking, oh my god,
    what was I thinking ? it's the most horrible feeling.

then in the morning light, after a good cup of coffee, you are able to reason with yourself.
    let us know what happens.

• fnzzy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well this morning I'm feeling better - thank you ALL!!!! We have sunlight coming in today and I walked into the bathroom, where everything IS white and I thought to myself "OMG I couldn't live with this much white in the kitchen, its too bright!"

then I walked around the house and looked at everything else in my downstairs - khaki colored walls, deep reds, berber carpets, warm woods, antique-y accents everywhere, black distressed furniture and I thought, "this is why I picked the glaze, it GOES with the rest of the house".

The white, while pretty, just doesn't go with the rest of the house - and I happen to like the rest of the house.

So I think my freak out is over. Thanks to everyone who helped me. I'm sure it won't be my last.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!