Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawn45_gw

Tan brown granite countertops - need suggestions for backsplash

dawn45
15 years ago

I have tan brown granite countertops, light oak cabinets and light oak floors. I can't seem to find a complimentary material or color for backsplash. I have a 4" granite backsplash already, but I need materials to finish the backsplash up to the bottom of my cabinets.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Comments (16)

• jb1176
    15 years ago

How about chocolate brown mini glass tiles?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

really... limitles choices. DO you prefer the look of glass, ceramic, or stone? Do you like metal accents? What kind of metal do you currently have in your kitchen?

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

12x12 tan brown granite tile: cut 2x2 pieces : with tumbled marble 4x4 set on on diagonal with inserts: only a suggestion:

• dawn45
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Petra Granite - I LOVE the look! Do you know what manufacturer and color the tumbled marble is in the picture?

• dawn45
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jb1176: do you have any pictures that you can share?

• dawn45
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelfla: I am open to any and all suggestions - pictures are helpful. Metal in my kitchen is brushed nickel.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I don't have pics like petra. I'd just go to websites and paste suggestions into posts for you to see. Sometimes people know how to photoshop those. The tumbled stone looks really nice!

• jerome8283
    15 years ago

Petra - what color grout did you use with your tumbled marble tile?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Here's a more conteompory twist on a traditional application like petra posted. You could use glass 4x12 subway tile but still incorporate the grnaite insets like petra'suggestion. Here's one exapmle of a tile you could use from Mirage Glass. {{!gwi}}

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I have tan brown countertops with medium oak floors and cherry finished cabinets. I used tumbled copper slate:

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Amazing look! I love it! (slate with glossy sealer?) It worked: the look!

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

grout: well I am going to guess: I looked in notes: not noted: if my boss buys it: then she doesn't tell me the color! I don't know if he used polyblend or mapei. He usually buys: bone, linen, biscuit, harvest, straw.
    You can go light and always paint your grout lines: then they don't stain and they are instantly sealed.

http://www.thisoldgrout.com/contractors/mapei.htm

this is the stain and sealer: can buy on line

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

I like glass tiles and tumbled: I believe it all depends on the look you are going for in your house: also: budget! Glass is expensive: But I love it! I would rather have the granite I want: and have that stand out: and not my splash. I would want all eyes on my granite. That is my opinion.
    With Tan brown granite: I can see that the splash could stand out more vs. the granite. Picture posted looks great! That splash is way more eye catching vs the Tan brown granite
    Best wishes!

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I did use an enhancing sealer, but it's not very glossy in real life. Copper slate has shimmer in it that is really picked up by the camera flash.

I ended up with tan brown granite rather than something that stands our more because I decided that I wanted to do something special with my backsplash. I also figured that the backsplash could be more easily and less expensively changed out (I do my own tile work) later if I decided I wanted a change.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

bump - would love to see more backsplashes with tan brown granite:)

dawn45, I know this is an old post and not sure if you will read this, but what did you decide on?

I'm considering tumbled torreon travertine 2x4 brick in the kitchen. In the bathroom, I'm considering a mosaic with mixed glass & stone along with a matching travertine pencil liner.