Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_hulme

I want to install new granite countertop and backsplash. I need advice

Susan Hulme
11 years ago
Do i put the 4" inch lip on the wall? some people say yes, some say no. I would also like to put the electric outlets in the 4 inch lip but this doesn't seem common. my contractor says it is not up to code. my interior designer friend say no 4 inch lip ever. what is the best
Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Comments (7)

• okmrazor
    11 years ago
    No need for the 4". Really. You can also put an outlet bar/plug strip running directly under the upper cabinetry so whatever tile design can run uninterrupted. Far cleaner lines and should not run into any code issues.
  • Susan Hulme
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    fyi, i was thinking about using the 4 inch lip also because some of my backsplash tile is glass, worried about breaking/wear and tear
  • Jody Koch
    11 years ago
    My decorator says no
  • PRO
    Dutchess County Tile
    10 years ago
    No, will squeeze the size of the backsplash area
    Feel free to check out my page in the backsplash projects for ideas
  • PRO
    RemodelWest
    9 years ago
    It's easy to say no but look closely how the outlets fit nicely within the 4" splash. This eliminates the typical location which would be in the glass tiles. Only other way to avoid the outlets is to install under cabinet outlet strips. Also be aware that anytime you install a tile backsplash directly onto the counter you must deal with the grout and with two converging surface cracking is inevitable.
  • flyr4fun
    9 years ago
    No 4". Should not be a problem with wear and tear with properly installed products. Where two dissimilar materials meet you use a flexible caulk not grout, so cracking is not an issue.
Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living