Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aidanmacdonald123_

Teen bedroom ideas!

I have half and office half a bedroom and it's small and cramped. Any design ideas?
I would love a beach themed room
The room has open rafters and it's a loft

Comments (22)

• dana2001
    9 years ago
    I think a beach themed room would be great they r really enjoyable and feel,like paradise
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks! I think it would be a really good idea I just need help for design ideas.
  • kcren
    9 years ago

The beach themed room will end up becoming too kitchy if not done properly.

• libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Aidan - is it possible for you to post a photo of your room? Or describe your bedding colors? And what geography / sport / interests are actually yours? Pottery Barn Teen has some great big wall murals for surfing, skiing, and skateboarding if any of those are your thing. One focal wall in a teen room is a good idea. I'm also hearing that you have a lot of clutter between your desk, school books, computer and accessories. Do you have a bookcase or any shelves now?

Basically - if we paint the walls a neat color, perhaps to go with the bedding you have now, and organize the desk / office area, you will like the room a lot more.

• aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We'll my room is very very small. Half of my room is my dad's office and the other half is my room. My beddings color is green with pink and blue flowers. I'm very much into running and I also ski so that some great ideas for the pottery barn ideas.
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another thing, I have open wood rafters above me so could I incorporate those into my design?
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you very much for your help!
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Open rafters would be very cool if we did a kind of a snowboarder preppy lodge vibe. . . . Can you take a picture and tell me about your bedding colors as is. . . colors you like. . .

• aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yah sure, I actually snowboard so that be great
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here my room can't see he rafters very we'll though
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also my favorite color is blue along with yellow and Mostly all colours
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

With the wood walls and rafters, you already have great architecture and drama - you could put your own actual snowboard hanging horizontally overhead across two of the rafters that are now home to quilts . . because of all the wood - let's go for a snowboarding lodge vibe . . . you want to hang crossed snow shoes on the end wall up high as your art. Do you have end gable walls that require paint or is everything clad in the pine tongue and groove?

What do you think about finding a quilt with plaid patchwork denim blues and soft tans? Nautica bedding usually has some great stuff in that direction. The golden wood is going to have to stand in for a soft yellow tone . . .navy blue sheets and put your stuff away . .. hang hooks on the end gable walls, they are so functional for hats, shirts, etc.

• aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you soo much for the help I really love your ideas and can't wait to start working on my room!
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you have any organizational ideas about my room that I can do?
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Aidan, think about the things that need to come in and go out of your room on a regular basis - backpacks, sports gear/bags, musical instruments/music and create a place where you can keep them near where you load and unload them/practice. A sturdy hook on the wall adjacent/ near the desk (into a stud) for the backpack, a bench at the end of your bed for your gear bag to sit under (maybe stock some febreze near the back porch so you can open it outside, spray pads / headphones now and again) and put it on top when you are stocking it or excavating.

A desk is usually really necessary and place low shelves or bookcase nearby so you keep schoolbooks in the same place, extra paper, maybe a printer on top of that if you have your computer in your room. In the desk and bookcase - get some standing "magazine" holders to keep extra spiral notebooks and school supplies.

In your closet, and drawers, designate a specific drawer for underwear / socks, athletic wear, t-shirts. Make space on the most accessible shelf for hoodies (winter) trade this spot for swimsuits (summer). It is easier to put stuff away when you have a specific location / find it in early am. make sure your laundry basket is big, maybe with rolling wheels, and ventilations so damp things don't molder. That way you can empty it only on the weekend.

The hardest thing when you are a teen is to actually use these systems regularly - you are coming and going so much, and other fun things look more interesting. If you do a 10 minute "tidy" when you first come in after school - just look around and put trash in the barrel, dirty clothes off, hang up things you can wear again. Sometime over the weekend - saturdays are usually good after you've been up a little while . . . do the big stuff - empty and start some laundry, put clean clothes away and empty the trash - maybe wipe down your desk or back up your computer while you are at it, use compressed air on the keyboard, windex on your screen and windows - open the window and just let the fresh air exchange for awhile (depending on temperature). Vaccumn (if you do that).

You might get some of the large shallow boxes for under your bed for any art or schoolwork you aren't sure you are ready to throw out / maybe want to save - that stuff can add up to a lot of clutter. You can also get open file baskets that fit on the bookcase and dedicate one to each class that has a lot of work - put finished and graded work there and then pull it out to review when it is time for a mid term or final.

Use another vertical magazine holder on the shelves to put all the stuff you get from colleges and trade schools - SAT prep books - anything to do with college applications. Use an online calendar and when you add something important to you - make sure the reminder feature is on so you get notice a week before / a day before as it suits you. Get a big floor basket for any gaming systems or remote controls so they just get tossed into one place, and a smaller basket for the desk to hold extra cords, chargers, headphones, thumb drives.

• aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow those are really good ideas, all of them are, there's one problem though, I don't have a closet.
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago

Ok - do you keep all your clothing in drawers? or do you have enough height to buy an ikea closet cabinet? you are really going to need some hooks!!

• aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will get my hooks!!! Ahah I will look into the ikea closet thing and yes I keep by clothes in the white dresser thing with baskets and the hanging drawer thing hanging from the ceiling. Do you think there would be a better way to organize theses thing into the space of my room, or do you think I should arrange them differently?
  • aidanmacdonald123_
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow! Thank you very much! I will definatly use those Ida's!
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Please stop spamming the forum and reviving old posts, "Mary Holme". Flagged.