Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medurst

Backyard Drainage Nightmare - and Outdoor Living Area NEEDED

medurst
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We have a great backyard - with a pool, a fish pond, a waterfall and a nasty weed pond between the pool and the house (where water pools after a few hours of steady rain). We are looking to overhaul this backyard and we live on the Coast in South Texas. What kind of expert should I seek for plans? Drainage should go towards right side of house using the swale that was dug for us (but not done accurately). Also need new windows, exterior paint, doors, a gathering area near the pond for a fire place, etc. We love being outdoors and entertaining. I'm nervous about having a sump pump under a deck or something like that because of our proximity to the ocean (salty air) and other maintenance concerns. I'm probably just paranoid, but I would prefer a French drain to run from the left side of the house to the right side and then out the side yard (if viewing photos, left to right).

We often have steady wind gusts in the backyard. We are in the perfect location for afternoon shade. Thoughts? Any drawings or photos to help us out? We had to tear down the previous owner's aluminum porch covering because of leaking so the pic with the porch is "before" we closed. Also, we removed his carpet around the pool area and the pergolas and put grass in. Once we removed the porch covering, a hard rain led to water entering the house at the slab. We have since blocked that opening and have not had another indoor water issue. We also had to remove the pea gravel concrete squares between the pool and the house as part of the process (we left one section to support the pool temporarily). The pea gravel is painful and we would like to replace and build a great deck or patio area all the way around the pool.

We have a budget so cost is a serious consideration! Thanks!! I would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments (4)