Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deryn_gw

Alister Clark roses

Deryn
18 years ago

Hi all

I have been asked to find a source of Alister Clark roses for a new garden that will be planted in Bridgetown, WA (South West of Perth).

The soil is loamy so any rootstock will be OK.

The nursery must do mail order to WA.

Any suggestions?

Regards Deryn

Comments (7)

• sallybcs
    18 years ago

Sue and David Mann from Hedgerow Nursery have a pretty good list of AC's. Sue will also contact her supplier to see if other varieties that she doesn't have listed can be sourced. I notice that they are also offering a lot of roses as "own root" this year. I don't know if that includes the AC's though. According to the ordering information they will mail to W.A.

• Rosalie
    18 years ago

GOOD LUCK!!!!! I have had no sucess with the mail order nurseries from over east, that have a good catalogue range of the Alister Clark bred roses. I have been trying for the past 12 years. I used to live in Donnybrook before moving to Allanson, so I know exactly what sort of growing enviroment you are talking about.
    Because Alister Clark bred his roses for the Australian climate and it's unforgiving extremes, you would think that these Australian developed roses would be available nationally. The only one that I have managed to get locally, is Lorraine Lee. There must be others. In the mean time, us in the west, can only peruse what is available over east, and dream on.

• tom_pariz
    18 years ago

Deryn,
    A good selection of Alister Clark's roses can be found in Melville Nurseries in WA. I have their new catalogue for 2005/2006 and there is a section with ACs (cca 15 roses, with more varieties coming). So, give'em a buzz, or even better, go there. Their nursery is in Carmel, close to Welshpool Rd. A very nice place indeed. Phone [08] 9293 5342
    - Tom

• koiwabiru
    18 years ago

Tom,

A little off topic - sorry! - but do Melville's send to Victoria? Or is the quarantine both ways? I have heard they have a fantastic collection - but I don't want to get my hopes up only to get them dashed by bureaucratic restrictions!

cheers
    Kate

• Rosalie
    18 years ago

Tom, you give me hope too. I haven't been up to Perth to Melville's for about 10 years. Bob Melville (sen.) was a friend of my mum's and she used to take me up there, when I visited Perth. I haven't been back there since she died. (too painful) However the passage of time slowly heals.
    I have been trying all sorts of links and instructions to see if Melville's have a website or email address to access a copy of their catalogue. The phone number that you posted will come in handy if all else fails.
    10, 12 years ago, I was chasing Alister Clark roses, as much for a patriotic thing as anything else and it was a dismal experience. None of the places that listed the Alister Clark roses, (not just the odd one) in their range would even consider sending stock to W.A. I used to get SO cross and frustrated.
    Deryn, I hope you find joy with Melville's. These old roses are so worthy of searching for and growing.
    Regards... Rosalie.

• tom_pariz
    18 years ago

Kate, I have no idea do they send roses to Victoria. You have to call them. But, if bareroot roses can be sent from Vic or SA to WA, maybe they can be sent from WA to Vic. But again, I have no idea. I know my friend was stopped at WA border and has to empty his bag of bananas before entering SA. Crazy! :-)

Rosalie, yes, visit Melville's. It's worth. For those who are looking for good Alister Clark roses, and English roses, Melville is a place to go.
    Some great English roses in WA can be found in Roworths nursery too. They have some great specimens there.
    And for old roses .. maybe best place to go is Swiss Rose Garden, close to Armadale. They still have them, although everyone else is trying to forget about them.
    PS. Anyone interested in Mme Legras de St Germain?
    They still have two left!

- Tom

• Rosalie
    18 years ago

Roworths, Tom. I remember Mum using them, although I have never been there. In fact I had forgotten all about them until you mentioned it. How does one find them and the Swiss Rose Nursery that you mentioned? It doesn't ring a bell yet, but then I left home in Gosnells, in 1978 and haven't lived in Perth since.... Rosalie.