Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinfoilhat

Blind Lime Jackson

tinfoilhat
9 years ago

I started my new buddy back in September and had a great time as he was coming together. I rode the rails with him to Kansas City, Chicago and Memphis. Spent nights chasing wicked women in smoked filled bars and mornings sitting on the curb watching the sun rise through bloodshot eyes, swearing I was never gonna do that again. Then the flood hit my place and legless Blind Lime laid on the welding table playing the blues while I shovel dried mud off the decorative rock in my back yard crying and singing the blues.
I've got him together now and we've been practicing Christmas carols that we will be sharing with you next week.
The following is an email I got on how to sing the blues that made me laugh. I'm sure it applies to playing the blues too.

How to Sing the Blues:

1. Most Blues begin "woke up this morning."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, unless you stick something nasty in right away: I got a good woman-with the meanest face in town.

3. Blues are simple. After you have the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes. Sort of.

I got a good woman-with the meanest face in town.
I got a good woman-with the meanest face in town.
She got teeth like Condoleeza Rice and she weigh 500 pounds.

4. The Blues are not about limitless choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch; ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars are Chevies, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Other acceptable Blues transportation modes include Greyhound buses and southbound trains. Walkin' plays a major part in the Blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or SUVs. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running.

6. Adults sing the Blues. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. In the Blues, "adulthood" means old enough to get the electric chair when you shoot that man in Memphis.

7. You can have the Blues in New York City, but not in Brooklyn or Queens. Hard times in Vermont, Tucson, or North Dakota are just depression. The best places to have the Blues are still Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City and New Orleans. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg while skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg when your broken-down pickup truck rolled over on it is.

9. The following colors do not belong in the Blues: violet, beige, mauve (unless you're truly desperate for a rhyme).

9. You can't have the Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is just plain wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places to have the Blues: the highway, a jailhouse, an empty bed, the bottom of a whiskey glass. Bad places to have the Blues: ashrams, gallery openings, weekends in the Hamptons, golf courses, Tiffany's, and Ivy League institutions.

11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, unless you happen to be an old black man-and it's an old black suit.

12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues?

Answer "Yes" if:

a. your first name is a southern state-like Georgia
b. you're blind
c. you shot a man in Memphis.
d. you can't be satisfied.
e. you're older than dirt

Answer "No" if:

a. you once were blind but now can see.
b. you're deaf
c. the man in Memphis lived.
d. you have a trust fund or an IRA.
e. you have all your teeth

13. Blues is not about color, it's about bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues; Gary Coleman could. Ugly old white people got a leg up on the blues. Julio Iglesias and Barbra Streisand will never sing the Blues.

14. If you ask for water and baby gives you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are: wine, whiskey, muddy water, beer, black coffee.

Blues beverages are NOT: mixed drinks, kosher wine, sparkling water, Snapple, Starbucks Frappuccino, or Slim Fast. Although Rubber Biscuits and the Wish Sandwich are famous blues snacks, better stick to common blues grub like Greasy Bar-b-que, Fatback and beans, and Government cheeze.

Blues food is never: Club sandwich, Sushi, or Creme Brule.

15. It gots to be dark to sing the blues, preferably after midnight. Singin' da blues at noon is forbidden.
16. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is a Blues death. So is substance abuse, the electric chair, or being denied treatment in an emergency room. It is not a Blues death to die during liposuction or from tennis elbow.

17. Excellent names for female Blues singers: Sadie, Big Momma, Bessie, or Fat River Dumpling. Excellent names for male Blues singers: Willie, Joe, Little Willie, Lightning, or Big Willie.

Singers with names like Muffy, Sierra, Auburn, Alexis, Gwenyth, Sequoiz, Brittany or Rainbow are not permitted to sing the Blues, no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

18. The Build Your Own Blues Singer Name Starter Kit:

a. Name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, Asthmatic)
b. First name (from above lists) or name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi)
c. Last name of a U. S. president (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)

Examples: Blind Lime Jefferson, Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Okay, maybe not "Kiwi".)

Now that you're all clear on that, let me introduce Blind Lime Jackson...
{{gwi:2118126}}

{{gwi:2118127}}

Comments (16)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I loved the 'getting there' as much as the sculpture :-)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Wow...all those years of trying to break into the blues scene. I thought I had it down....but now I see my failure was not my fault. I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks in the south side of Martha's Vineyard....the only child of two trust fund babies.....I can remember my momma sayin', " you can't be drivin' no Bentley on a Benz paycheck." That was the name of my first song. But, they threw me out of Open Mike Night at Starbucks.
    Now I know....I didn't follow any of those rules....
    Woe is me. Where are my nerve pills....

Asthmatic Artichoke Astor

P. S. I hope I get to see Blind Lime at BluesFest

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like he could play with the best of them. I'm still trying to find out who rocked the ball park in Montgomery Ala. Auburn football halftime! Fall of 1960. Think it had to be Louis Armstrong anyway it was a mean "Birth of the Blues" about brought the house down. Your guy would have been a "hit' there. He was playing the piano up on a stage or large truck!! Oh, it was 80 degrees out ,don't think anybody thought it would be that hot!! Got a lot hotter when the music started!! You know now you have to make a couple more guys as they rarely play alone unless they've realllly got the Blues bad.... Jan

• Rusty
    9 years ago

WOW! ! ! !
    You've done it again! ! !
    Fantastic sculpture with a fantastic lead-in.
    Not sure which I Like the most.

I agree with sunnyca, he definitely needs company,
    At least someone on a piano,
    (are keyboards allowed to play blues?)
    And a trumpet player.

Thanks for sharing your talent!

Rusty

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Great sculpture, great story.

He needs Gastric Grape Garfield on guitar

and

Poxied Plum Polk on piano.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 18:30

• nonacook
    9 years ago

I love the Blues info, but most of all I love the guy 'playin' the horn'.
    I have a 'horn' in my stash, and a shovel, and some old
    sunglasses, but not the welding ability to put any of it together.

Since it was given to me, I can't remember whether it is
    a trumpet or a sax....It's still in it's case.

• elaineal
    9 years ago

I was a little blue when I got up today, but after laughing so much reading the rules to singing the blues, I feel a lot better. Thanks tinfoilhat!!

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

And the classic blues epitaph:
    "Didn't wake up this mornin'"

• laurastheme
    9 years ago

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! All of it. The lead in and the sculpture. You're WAY too talented. Nobody should have that much talent for writing and well as sculpting. (Just kidding).
    Laura

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

There you go again! Outdoing yourself. In love with all of it of course.
    Broken toe melon Washington! On bass, stand up of course.

Did you really have a flood at your place?

• tinfoilhat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your great replies. I was afraid that long lead in might be over the top, glad you enjoyed that email too.

Asthmatic Artichoke Astor - You Can't Be Drivin' No Bentley on a Benz Paycheck sounds like it might have the makings of a great country western song. I wouldn’t give up your day job just yet but don’t be afraid to explore new directions.

To all of you who want an expanded duo, trio, quartet, or band, or whatever. - Send your old musical instruments to Tinfoilhat, C/O General Delivery, AZ and I’ll see what I can do.

Raven Cajun - " Yep, to having a flood. Check out link below to see yours truly being a heroic manly man and a legend in his own mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Aquatic Critters and One Not

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about your act of bravery! The Tortoise Saviour! Oh no I think that sounds like a good blues song! And perhaps a sculpture is needed!

• Marlene Kindred
    9 years ago

Oh my heavens!! How did I miss this adventure the first time around?? I swear you should be a writer if you're not already!! Blind Lime Jackson is the coolest cat around the Blues scene! Love the music notes coming out of his sax too! You did it again Tinfoil....kudos to you!

• powermuffin
    8 years ago

Love everything about this thread!

Diane

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Where the heck is tinfoil at? Show us your latest additions! I am going through tinfoil withdrawal here lol.

• susie_gardener_2007
    8 years ago

Oh my, I couldn't get thru reading this without tears because I was laughing so hard! And I like the sculpture too! Keep up the good work!