Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celeste_jackson1792466

Having an emergency

Celeste
9 years ago

I looked over at one of my cacti & noticed the spines were a little duller than normal, so I picked it up and upon further inspection found what I can only assume are mealybugs. Little white insects near all of the spines & the green part of the plant is sweating a sticky sap. I've never had an infestation before. I have several plants all sitting together on a nightstand next to my bed. Are all the plants infested? I looked at them all and I don't see any but how can I be sure? Could the bugs be in my bed? And of course I managed to drop the whole pot when I went to quarantine it. How do I get rid of them will they run all over my room?

Comments (8)

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    9 years ago

Mealy Bug for sure. Yes, isolate. Yes, watch the plants and time will tell. Time for 50%/50% water/alcohol.

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

I guess on the top there's a little nest but all that fuzz around the spines is normal. I've got the same kind of cactus I think. Even on the top mine has a little bit of fuzz that's always been there.

• rohrspencer
    9 years ago

I use a couple drops of iodine to some little bit of water

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Should I dump whatever soil didn't spill? I heard they lay eggs in the soil. Are there any preventative measures I should take with the rest of the plants? Should I spray them just in case?

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Yeah I think your's does have a minor problem with bugs but I wouldn't try to scrape away all that white stuff. Spray it or clean it maybe. This is the same kind of cactus I think and that fuzz isn't bugs.

This post was edited by CooperDR on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 18:07

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

continue to spray daily with alcohol/water for several days after all sign of the mealies is gone, to get any remaining eggs, and be vigilant after that.

• Celeste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah the cactus has always had those fluffy parts I just put it under a stream of water. It seems to have knocked all of them off. Does alcohol harm the plants in any way or can I spray all plants as a preventative measure

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery