Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thingreen

Need Opinions on Grout Water Stains Outside of Curbless Shower

thingreen
9 years ago

New to the forum, hoping to get some helpful feedback and opinions on my issue. Sorry if this is a little long....

Bottomline: Have had a finished curbless shower with 60" linear drain for a couple of months now. Have max of two 2.5 gpm shower heads going at once and the drain seems to handle it fine. There's not really any accumulation of water at our feet; I've even taken off the drain grill during the shower to see how far up the drain channel the water is filling up and it's only about 1/3 the way up. I can hear a nice gurgling flow down the drain through the p-trap. Now the issue is, I recently started noticing some darker stains on the lighter grout outside of the shower in front of the glass door which seem to be lingering now as I pay more attention to them. I'm concerned that water is maybe getting out under the tile/grout at the entry and pooling? There are only a few spots with this darkening at this point, not the entire length of a grout line. We have 12"x24" porcelain tiles on the floor as well as walls.

Background: Had some remodeling work completed by a GC over last few months. In short, turned a bedroom into a master bathroom + walk-in closet to create a master suite. The bathroom plumbing was therefore brand new. Our home is a single story concrete slab construction.

Curbless w/ Linear drain: Being a first timer at this, we made changes in plans as we went along, one of which was to make our large 8' x 4' shower be curbless with a linear drain. Due to not planning far enough ahead for this (and admittedly, the GC was not experienced with this either), the shower floor was not lowered early on. Being in CA, it was hot mopped (sloped) and drain positioned centered at the entry along the long 8' wall. Everything was hot mopped including the bench at one end of the 8' length and it leak checked ok. So I did some research and decided to go with a LUXE 60" drain because it was the longest off the shelf and fit in the space we had. It goes across the glass door entry with one end butted up against the bench. The other end stops about 1' short of the wall. I knew that there would be extra tile area that would need to be sloped from this corner towards the drain to account for the drain not going the entire length of the shower. Oh and it's about 3" offset from the entry with the tile backsloped towards the drain.

Tile: I thought the tiler was pretty skilled IMO. Because we didn't drop the shower floor, he had to build up (float?) the entire bathroom floor outside with concrete before tiling to match the shower floor height with drain. He sloped the shower floor 1/4" towards the drain which seems to be working fine, i.e. the water line stays within the glass door envelop, with some accumulation on the one tile that's backsloped towards the drain.

I've attached a photo to show the overall layout. I'm not sure how to post multiple photos?

Questions:
1) What is the most likely source of water causing the dark spots? The dark spots are in front of the glass door as well as off to the half wall side where the towel bar is. This makes me worried that water is wicking through under the tile? I don't think the hot mop is leaking, as the inside was completely covered at least 10-12" up the walls and the entire bench.
2) If there is water getting out, what can I do to figure out where it's coming from and how bad it is? Is the telltale sign that the dark spots aren't disappearing quickly that there is water sitting under that spot?

I'm really trying to make a pre-emptive move to avoid long term damage if there's trouble brewing. But I also need a practical solution because I have budget as well as domestic constraints (newborn baby).

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How far into the room was the waterproofing extended? Was a capilliary break used? When you say the slope was built up, do you mean that was done after the area was waterproofed? How was the area actually leak tested?

Just to double check, because it doesn't look like it, the entire bathroom floor outside the shower is sloped towards the drain? What is the threshold height at the door to the bathroom? How large is the bathroom? Do you have an overhead diagram plan view?

• thingreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, the hot mop ends at the front entry. I was looking back at photos to see exactly what it covered. It doesn't extend outside of the front of the half walls. There was a 'lip' maybe 1.5" (?) tall that was used to do the flood test that the tiler said he left there and the backsloped tile went over that entry area. I'm not sure about a capillary break. Is this a physical separation in the concrete or some kind of water barrier that should've been done before tiling the floor? How is this usually done? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'd really appreciate some clarification on what should've been done and could possibly be done at this point?

Yes, the floor was first hot mopped with a typical preslope towards the drain and then the floor was built up with concrete by the tiler to get the desired slope for tile towards the drain. So I think this was done right? Water that gets through the tile/grout then should funnel into the drain weep holes (I think/hope/pray they are not clogged).

No, the outside bathroom floor is not sloped towards the drain. This was a dilemma we debated over. The tile at the entry is backsloped but then the rest of the floor actually has a slight downgrade towards the bathroom door that was done so that we could better match the height of the hallway carpet, i.e. we didn't want a big step down coming out of the bathroom. So we ramped up the hallway slightly and the bathroom floor down to meet at the door threshold. I'm not sure the exact slope but it spans 6' because that's the length of the vanity. So it would be probably something like a 1-1.5" max drop over 6'? I know this is bad news if the shower were to flood with water continuously on obviously, but assuming we don't have a clogged drain (and since it's a linear drain it would be nearly impossible to cover the drain accidentally to stop it up while in the shower) could this slope be contributing to water possibly escaping? I did do a quick unscientific check and actually poured some water outside onto the bath floor out of curiosity and the result wasn't exciting...water just sat there. It didn't flow downhill. Also, during a shower the water that gets splashed to the backsloped tile never goes more than about 1/3 way (~4") up that tile. So there's no trace of water outside of the shower on the floor unless you directly spray the door or intentionally splash water under the door sweep.

I attached a sketch of the bathroom overhead plan. You can see the 6' vanity. on the left wall and the hallway door to the bedroom at the top.

Last night I literally got down on my knees while showering to get a close look. I'm just puzzled because I see all the water flowing down the linear drain with hardly any accumulation of standing water in the shower. If you turn on the shower head and point it away from the entry so there's no splashing you would see all the water flow down the length of the drain with zero water crossing over to the other side to the backsloped tile. It seems this tells me the drain has plenty of margin in terms of capability (I think 12 gpm)?

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Live Wire Oak hit the two main points; the membrane the the capillary break.

With your drain at the door, for sure a membrane should have been run underneath the tile outside the shower door. Depends on how they detailed and terminated the hot mop.

A capillary break is a bead of sealant or another barrier of some sort that separates the setting materials used on the shower tile from the setting materials used on the bathroom floor tile.

For example, it prevents water from wicking via capillary action from the wet thinset under the shower tile into the dry thinset under the bathroom floor tile.

• thingreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mongoct/Live Wire Oak,

Thanks for the replies.

Here's a photo I took right after the hot mop was done. You see it terminates at the outer half wall surface with a 'lip' maybe 1" tall (I didn't measure it so just guessing). So that centered tile in the entry sits above that and during a normal shower the water line (water that splashes over the drain to the door) doesn't go past about halfway the thickness of those half walls or doesn't go past the glass door that's centered between those half walls.

So if I understand what you're saying about the capillary break, the tiler should've physically separated the thinset/mud under the entry area tile by creating a physical divider barrier to separate it from the thinset/mud under the rest of the tiles on the bathroom floor? I'm picturing a thin vertical layer of sealant (or membrane) from the bottom of the tile surface through thinset all the way through the mud down to meet the hot mop 'lip'? That would then form a barrier and force the water that gets under the tile to stay in the pan and go back towards the drain. I'm still trying to get a feel for how much water could be sitting under my bathroom floor (worst case) or if it's limited to a few areas of damp thinset due to wicking that are showing up as dark grout spots (best case?).

Relative to the amount of water that seems to be making it down the drain, how much water are we talking about that could be wicking out through the thinset/mud/grout? 10%? 20%? 50%? How long does it take for the water that eventually sits on the concrete slab to evaporate or absorb into the slab itself? And what damage would this cause long term assuming the water never makes it to any wood?

• thingreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To create a capillary break, would a plan like this be feasible in my case?

1) Pull up the 3 tiles in the entry and create a line gap in the mud layer all the way down to the hot mop pan 'lip'. This gap would span the entire entry way and be directly above the edge of the hot mop 'lip'.
    2) Insert some type of waterproofing sealer (slather on Redgard??) that will form a barrier forcing any water under the tile to go back to the drain.
    3) Fill back in the remaining gap with mud.
    4) Reinstall 3 tiles. To make a capillary break in the thinset layer, use thin bead of sealant.
    5) Also seal all grout lines in the entry area that could allow wicking outside to the bathroom floor?

Is this even remotely feasible/practical without causing a lot of collateral damage?

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

thingreen - so sorry to see you are having issues with your new shower - it really is beautiful and the workmanship looks excellent! Sorry I can't offer any expertise to help you but can I ask if that is solid surface material you used on the top and sides of the shower walls? I love the contrast and it looks so sharp and clean!

• thingreen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

numbersjunkie,

Thanks for the thought. Yeah, I'm really bummed/stressed not knowing how much water is under my bathroom tile right now. I hope we can put in a practical fix that works.

The two contrasting tiles on the floors and wall are porcelain from a local shop, very inexpensive actually but I think look clean. Yes, that's tile on top and outsides of the half walls. Our tiler actually bullnosed the tiles on the edges by hand. The tile body is grayish and looks fine that way when exposed. We liked that option more than going with metal trim.

• PRO
    Srw Contracting Inc
    8 years ago

Was this issue resolved?

curius of the fix

doing a lot of curbless showers these days and don't want to have this problem

i see no info on capillary breaks in the tcna handbook....which is weird

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

telluwhat, you dont want to find out after the fact.

in europe, australia and many countrys cappilary breaks are old news, lesson learned long ago and assumed knowledge of a barrier free tile shower build.

the mighty us of A is a bit behind.

http://no-curb.blogspot.com/2014/04/capillary-action-break-photos-and.html?m=1

• PRO
    Srw Contracting Inc
    8 years ago

Do you think on previously done showers that by simply removing grout at shower transition area and using silicon would prevent this

not really a fan of using a metal edging as John has depicted

im sure it's probably the best way to go, just not attractive for most applications

might have a lot of free work in the near future!

Anazing That a lot of companies selling curbless pans do not advise on this sort of thing!

• User
    8 years ago

"Do you think on previously done showers that by simply removing grout at
    shower transition area and using silicon would prevent this."

If you could remove the grout and thinset and adhere a bead of silicone to the actual membrane cleanly and directly I think you could attempt and possiby save.

I would in the future suggest flood testing your shower pans, especially curbless shower pans this way you can also verify that your cappilary stops any possible wicking and find out about it before the shower gets built.. one of the many reasons to flood test.