Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom09

I miss my old Magic Chef gas range

mom09
9 years ago

You all have no idea how much I miss my old range. The only reason we decided to buy a new one was because we replaced the fridge so the magic chef was almond white. I have no idea or rather I do, that old range must have been very well made and insulated. I got a Sears range, not inexpensive, looked really pretty, but that's it. With my old magic chef, yes, I could feel the heat but nothing close to what I have experienced with this Kenmore. I hate using it because the moment I turn if on, the heat just radiates from it, terrible. I think the problem is that this newer ranges are not insulated like the old ones. It's been a few years since we've had it, and there is not one day I don't regret it. Sorry to vent. There was nothing wrong with my old range, just was not pretty like the new frigde.

Comments (9)

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

what did you expect?

• mom09
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I expected the same quality, it was not inexpensive. I gave up my old not so pretty range, for a Kenmore Stainless steel range that I hate using. I never realized that such a newer model would be so inefficient.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

How old was the Magic Chef? Was it self cleaning? Where do you feel most of the heat coming from on the new Kenmore (which, by the way, is a rebadged Frigidaire)

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your problems, but I would suggest that you do research before such a major purchase to find out about this kind of stuff before hand. You don't indicate if you did that or not, but I am assuming you didn't. Had you researched first you might have read that was a common complaint for that model (if it is a complaint that is).

Just a suggestion for going forward, research before you buy, not after.

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

I still have my white, sealed burner Magic Chef gas range (no repairs to it, ever!) and am ready to embark on a total kitchen remodel. I have serious angst over choosing my new range, worried that I'll always miss my Magic Chef. I'm sorry you aren't happy, mom09.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

mom09, you have my total sympathy. The dh and I were lamenting just today that, more often than not, well-intentioned "improvements" nowadays turn out to be more like complications . . . Do you still have the stove, or did it go to charity? Any way Sears might exchange it, or has it been too long?

• mom09
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I did not research it. It's been too long now, like I said, we bought the new one just to match the fridge in stainless steel. By the way, the fridge, no problem. To dccurlygirl, had I known better, like I do now, I would never have done it. If I had your Magic Chef, I would not give It up or make sure you get a range that is well insulated so as not to have that heat just pouring out from the vents and sides, etc. Not only that, the stainless steel is hard to keep clean. The fridge is no problem, because it has more smooth area. Like I said above the range was not inexpensive, it was an expensive range. My range looked like this picture

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Is it just differnt and that's all that's wrong? If you are concerned about the temp I would suggest getting oven thermometers. If it is off I would make a service call under warranty. All things considered your new oven may have a more accurate temp control and for that reason your old one did not. Or vice versa. What do you mean by better insulated? A natural byproduct of a gas oven is residual heat going in to the room. Maybe the heat comes out in a differnt spot than your old one did. Maybe the older one had thicker metal in the walls of the oven. If you really don't like the range try to find out who Sears contracted with for the delivery and call them. I have rescued a couple of pieces over the years for customers.

• mom09
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, no its not just that its different, this Kenmores heat is almost intolerable to me, to the point, that I will not use the oven unless I have to. I know residual heat is inevitable but I had never felt this kind of residual heat from the old range. I'm thinking the old oven had thicker walls, and the sides were insulated. When I hit the sides of this range, they sound hollow. It's been too long to rescue it unfortunately. I cooked and baked in that old range & oven, and everything came out perfect. I cooked A LOT! Thanks for your reply.