Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Ad Ware Pop Ups

oldbat2be
9 years ago

GW - please take note; there have been way too many, of late.

I finally googled the issue and found a solution posted by Ravencajun (linked below). Thank you Ravencajun!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to removing pop ups

Comments (34)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I agree! It's pain in the rear. I don't mind the side advertisements but the popups make me crazy and yes I believe it has gotten worse in the last week.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

You are very welcome glad to help.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Raven, can you help an illiterate iPad (Air), Safari user download the app?

When trying to install it, I get the option to "open in Drive". I upload it to Drive then am told that Drive can't open it. Says that I don't have the correct app to open the Adblock file?????

Help. Thanks.

ML

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I clicked on the link and it has been removed. What the heck GW? The side ads are enough!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

unfortunately I don't think there is a version for ipad. The ones I had provided the links to were strictly for use on computers and laptops.
    I don't use any apple products so am not sure if there is any thing equivalent for them. I use an android tablet and there is an adblock plus app for download for android.

I will look around to see what I can find about ipad.
    Oh ok I did find an adblock plus advertized and it is in itunes so you might look at this link. I have no idea if it works or not I just now found it so do some research and read some user reviews.
    AdBlock for iOS

Link to the adblock plus download site for computers, just be sure to click on the icon for the version you need for your browser. If you use IE choose the IE icon, if you use firefox use the firefox icon etc.
    Adblock Plus

You need to make sure easylist is added to the preferred filters list you can do that by clicking on the add easylist to adblock plus on this page.
    EasyList
    Or in the adblock plus options when you click on the ABP stop sign that installs with the program and choose filter preferences and select easylist. Either way works and takes a second.

Also in the settings for adblock plus is an option to allow certain types of ads you can uncheck that option also.

• User
    9 years ago

Dear Gardenweb:

I don't want to purchase a Sony play station. If I was in the market for a gaming system I would deliberately NOT purchase the Sony product because of the pop up ads. If anyone asked me about gaming systems I would advise against Sony, and tell them I heard there are subliminal messages in all Sony products and games that encourage children to turn against their families and join video game cults.

Now, where did I hear that?

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Just chiming in with my disgust regarding the popup ads as well. With the increasingly obnoxious ads I find myself now noting any products I might be remotely interested in to make sure I NEVER BUY THEM EVER.

It would be great if someone could come up with an innovative new way to make money other than more and more increasingly obnoxious ads!!

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Thank you ravencajun!! Those ads were so annoying, and now they're gone.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I tried that Adblock for IOS a few weeks back and it worked for a few ads for a couple of days, but I still have them on my ipad mini. Did anyone else try it?

• Olychick
    9 years ago

kswl - that is hysterical.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Why is GW forcing everyone to buy or download ad blocking software that may or may not work? The pop ups are universally hated, and none of us pay any attention to them other than to swear at them the moment they flash before our eyes, so why don't they just do away with them, or put them in the margins where it doesn't completly ruin the experience of being here? I will never understand this "Let's completely annoy our patrons" philosophy.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

As an IPad user, I have tried every suggested option to get rid of the ads...when it seems that whatever the newest block is working, I breathe a sigh of relief, click on the next thread and the ads are back!

Irritating, especially that that some of the ad block apps are costing me money.

Tamara, are you there? Can someone help? Please? (Yes, I have emailed GW and have tried the suggestions they sent. Those didn't work either.)

ML

• bpath
    9 years ago

The latest popup is telling me to turn off my ipad. Guess I will, then I won't see the annoying popups. Of course, I'll also miss out on lively GW discussions, but the ads are that annoying.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"(Yes, I have emailed GW and have tried the suggestions they sent. Those didn't work either.)"

Wouldn't it make more sense if GW tried OUR suggestion and turned off the pop-ups?

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

The pop-ups are annoying but what I find strange is that they don't appear on everyone's laptop or tablet.

I have AdBlock Plus on my Dell laptop and I never get a popup. I've also successfully used Ad Block to remove all those photos on the right hand side on the GW page and the flowering vine background.

I haven't bothered to install AdBlock on my new MacPro and I don't get any Pop ups. I do have the flowered background - a purple flower on a vine and the right hand photos of the Babka and hummingbird etc. And sometimes I'll have the green words (hyperlink) but not always.

My Kindle DX8.9 tablet doesn't ever get Pop-ups and I haven't blocked anything.

Now that I have a Mac and an iPhone I was going to get an iPad and give the Kindle to my DD - but not if that means I'll be inundated with those ads.

Do all the iPad users here experience the pop-ups?

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

I have a MacAir and get some pop-us as well as the hyperlinks.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I am on an iPad and the ads are about to drive me away. It's just too much, too often, and too intrusive. I don't mind the side ads, I get that they need to make money, but the pop-ups are too annoying.

ETA:
    I will never, ever click on one of those for more info and I will only make a mental note to avoid that company/product.

This post was edited by hhireno on Thu, Jan 8, 15 at 11:06

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I don't get the pop-ups on my iphone but am inundated on my ipad mini even with the Ad Block. I don't believe in having to pay for ad block software when GW should be taking care of it's users when there is free software available that works for other operating systems.

GW isn't listening, or doesn't care. There are enough of us IOS users (ipad users) who have commented that leads me to believe it is happening to a large percentage of ipad users if not all.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Has anyone contacted Apple support to see if they can help? When DH bought my MacPro he also gave me the One to One in store training plan. The next time I go I should use one of their display iPads and pull up GW - if I get the pop-ups then I could ask them about it.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

PC here so the problem is universal.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

I'm on a Kindle Fire (the IPad size), and the pop-ups are relentless and annoying. I also emailed GW, and got an email back with long complicated instructions on what to do to get rid of them. That did not work, which is even more annoying!

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

IâÂÂm getting them also on a Mac desktop, and theyâÂÂre driving me insane!

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Outsideplaying - I get them ALL the time on my iPhone. You're lucky that you don't! I really don't know where to begin with trying to block on my phone. Any tips?

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Do you think it might be the Browser that you're using?

I use Safari with my new MacPro and I've never gotten a Pop up in the 3 months that I've had it. I checked Apple Support and the instructions that I linked were dated Dec. 12, 2014. They're recent - but they are complicated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Support

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Question ... does ANYONE like, enjoy, or find the pop-ups to be at all useful? Has anyone ever clicked on one of the pop-ups to get further information from the advertiser? My guess is NO.

I understand the need for advertising, but I hope to heck those who purchase the pop-up space are paying through the nose. As I scroll down a thread, there is tons of available white space in the margins for ads. Why are they not utilizing that space first? I guess if you can annoy the bejeebers out of your patrons and they keep coming back, there is not much incentive to accomodate their wishes. We get GW for free, but we are going to pay in other ways.

• han123si
    9 years ago

I use an Ipad3 and with safari.
    if you go to settings and then click on safari and then look for Block PopUps
    Klick it so you see a green circle,that should do it!!
    This is my setting and I have never been bothered by PopUps.
    Good luck !

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Han123si - I did exactly that and still get those annoying pop ups.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I, too, still get the pop ups with the green circle showing in the block pop ups on an iPad safari settings.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

I use Weblock on my iPad and that is the only app that blocks the pop ups for me.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Get OUT OF SAFARI and click on the ADBlock for iOS browser. Just downloading AdBlocker from Apple's App store does nothing if you just continue to use Safari. I use Safari on all EXCEPT GW sites. Open the AdBlocker icon and type in the website in the line at the top. Once there, Hit the + sign at the bottom to bookmark. I have about ten GW sites bookmarked. After setting that up, it's easy. I keep the ADBlocker on the bottom row next to the Safari icon. Hope this helps. I found SUCH relief after I got the program. I was almost ready to give up GW sites because they were un-do-able! (Is that a word?)

• deegw
    9 years ago

I noticed recently that when I was signed in and accidentally scrolled over a green underlined word that I would get a pop up. It isn't a traditional pop up - it was small and disappeared as soon as I scrolled by. And the pop ups were completely unrelated to the underlined word.

If I am not signed in, I have no problems. I am on a lap top and use chrome. Because I go to odd websites for work, I run CC cleaner every single time I am done browsing. That could be helping to clear out any gardenweb mess that I pick up while I am here.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Since nothing seems to work I will pay attention to the most frequent pop up. "Time to unplug".
    I wonder if GW knows the pop up is saying this?

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"If I am not signed in, I have no problems."

The problem with not signing in is that you can't post.

"I noticed recently that when I was signed in and accidentally scrolled over a green underlined word that I would get a pop up."

This used to be how it worked, but now those "green word" popups appear even if I get no where near their triggers. And they stay up longer.

Now I'm addicted AND annoyed. Gah.

• deegw
    9 years ago

jellytoast - I just sign in to post and then immediately log off. The inconvenience is worth not having to deal with pop ups while I am reading. I read much, much more than I post.

Logging off now :)