Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itoma_gw

Opinions on what glue to use for eng hardwood

itoma
9 years ago

Hi

We are getting ready to install ourselves engineered hardwood in our ranch house. The subfloor is concrete, and the eng hardwood is wide plank, 7-1/2" width, 9/16 thickness, 72" length. The distributor is recommending Bostik Pro Cure glue, if anyone has experience with this glue, please share with use your experience. A friend of mine used another type of glue, Bostik Multigrip, however his installation was over wood subfloor.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• User
    9 years ago

What adhesive does the manufacturer recommend?

Years ago, I installed a click lock floor in a bathroom. The store said no glue was necessary. I thought that was wrong, so simply read the manufacturers instructions and had the store order the glue required in the instructions. The glue was necessary to keep the manuf. warranty for installation in moist environments.

• User
    9 years ago

What reading did you get with your moisture testing? That's required.

• mag77
    9 years ago

GreenDesigns: >

Good question, and I'd want to know the moisture readings over the course of a year before putting any kind of wood floor over concrete.

• itoma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is what the manufacturer has in the installation guide:

"The recommended adhesive for most installations is "Bostik's Best" (manufactured by Bostik, Inc.,
    Middleton, MA), Stauf Adhesive (manufactured by Stauf USA, Memphis, TN), Taylor 2071 Tuff-Lok X-Link Wood Flooring Adhesive (manufactured by Taylor Adhesives, Fontana, CA) or equivalent. See adhesive manufacturer's installation recommendations for specific
    rules and guidelines regarding installation procedures and acceptable subfloors"

• User
    9 years ago

Any of those adhesives will not work well if the subfloor is too wet. You have to know what the moisture content of your slab might be in order to glue down successfully. Or else you have to treat the slab with a separate moisture barrier first, then glue down. That can get to be expensive!

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

" ... I'd want to know the moisture readings over the course of a year before putting any kind of wood floor over concrete."

Is this really necessary and is this a practice that is normally followed? I've wondered whether doing a moisture test in a normally dry climate (So. Cal.) would give an inaccurate result. We have some years when it rarely rains and others when it rains all winter long. How would one get an accurate moisture reading in those circumstances?

• mag77
    9 years ago

>

The short answer: wood floors glued to concrete in SoCal will be just fine until it rains a lot.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Mag77, so what is the acceptable course of action? Plenty of people around here have engineered wood glued to the slab. Is the solution to always use a waterproof glue and not worry about the moisture reading?