Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassymolassy_gw

Contemporary Kitchen Layout - help please

SassyMolassy
9 years ago

Hi,

Long time lurker but first time poster :)

We are designing the kitchen layout for our new contemporary/modern house. The dimensions of the kitchen are 14' by 15.5' and the adjoining breakfast area 14' by 10'. The originally planned layout didn't include the pantry in the breakfast area and instead had a 1' deep pantry against wall A in the diagram. We met with the kitchen designer who suggested this layout. While we like the added pantry space, our concern is that this new layout leaves a bare wall and we are uncertain (a) what to do with that space and (b) whether it remains true to the contemporary look. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:2139242}}

Comments (3)

• SassyMolassy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Adding a few more views of the proposed layout.

{{gwi:2139243}}

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

A quick look at the contemporary-style kitchens on Houzz and via Google shows many kitchens with pantry walls. So I think you're safe with the pantry wall.

Are you talking about the empty wall that you can see in your second diagram showing the 3d view? Not every wall needs to have cabinets on it. I think that would be a great place to display a huge single piece of modern art. And I think something like that is very fitting for a contemporary space.

I'm more concerned about some layout and clearance issues. Do you intend for more than one person to be working in the kitchen? If so, I really think the sink and range directly across from each other is going to be a problem. 48" is the minimum clearance recommended for working back-to-back in a kitchen. This aisle is really only suitable for single use.

At the very least, you could move the range over to the left, switching places with that 36" drawer stack. That would alleviate that problem a bit.

I don't think you would want to move the island closer to the pantry wall as people sitting there would get in the way of that traffic lane. You probably wouldn't want to narrow the island either or people sitting there would start getting too close to the sink. You wouldn't want everybody to get sprayed.

Do you plan on a table to be in the open space? I hope it's tiny as it will impede going through the sliders if it's very large. I think you would benefit from having a built-in banquette style bench there instead of a pantry. That would free up some floor space for better maneuvering and I think it would make your space feel bigger.

• ice1
    9 years ago

From one that has a modern danish home ( in Iceland) I would take all the cabinets all the way up to the ceiling.

This post was edited by ice1 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 4:28