Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benel204

Need advice: Nickel or Bronze knobs for maple kitchen cabinets

benel204
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We recently updated our kitchen with new granite counters, appliances and glass tile back-splash. We chose to leave the existing maple cabinets since we loved the kitchen layout and were on a budget. (The photos don't do a good job of showing true color of either the cabinets or the glass tile. The tile is a warm taupe-latte, not a gray taupe. On a separate Houzz post is my "before and after" with a couple more photos of "after" with different angles that may help with this dilemma: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/our-updated-kitchen-dsvw-vd~2818438).

Last on the list now are the kitchen knobs:
Shall I go Nickel or Bronze?

PROs for bronze are that it picks up the beautiful brown and amethyst flecks in the granite (St. Cecilia). Bronze also seems to brighten the maple cabinets (which otherwise appear a tad anemic to me).
PROs for the nickel are that it picks up the stainless appliances, faucet, and some of the "shine" of the mosaic accent of the back splash. The nickel also seems nicely understated and modern.

In the photos you will see several styles of bronze knobs and one style of nickel. At this point my main design dilemma is: nickel or bronze. Once I resolve that I'll figure out a style.
Thanks everyone!

Comments (76)

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

A compromise would be the very dark nickel knob. I have cabinets about the same color and used knobs that are a very, very shiny dark gray finish. They look great with my ivory silk granite that has many of the same colors as yours. I wish I had saved the package because I can't remember the exact name of the color. It might be black nickel that is actually more of a very dark shade of gray with pewter flecks shining through on the knobs that I have. I really like them with the cabinets and feel as you do that a light color of knobs just make the whole scheme seem washed out or anemic as you said, great description by the way. The oil rubbed bronze seems just a little on the wane these days. But if you already have bronze on other metal components then I can see where you would want to follow through. Mostly the style determines the modernity of a product anyway. Good luck your kitchen looks great!

• rr528
    8 years ago
    I vote nickel for the same reason you don't wear black hosiery and shoes with a white dress.
  • gr8daygw
    8 years ago

….and yet a black tux with white shirt looks so classy : ) like a black, white and gray kitchen ~classic.

• debmv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For the style, Square Knobs on the drawers and Square Pull Handles that match for the cabinets. The cabinet handles are doable, you need to drill another hole and the length could be 4" hole to hole. Bronze for the finish. Square to mimic the shape of your tiles, cupboards etc. and bronze so it stands out, otherwise it will look wishy washy. Oh and add a knob to the dummy drawer too otherwise it looks unfinished.

• paddlerchick
    8 years ago

Square bronze look more rich. Nickel look sort of cheesy and unfinished.

• Eunie
    8 years ago
    I like bronze.
  • User
    8 years ago

Bronze all the way. It compliments the granite better. Don't like everything to match. It's ok to mix finishes. More interesting.

• Judy
    8 years ago

Definitely bronze, I like the contrast in color.

• johnson_v
    8 years ago

We went with bronze on our maple cabinets. We used a four inch knob on the upper cabinets and a bar on the drawers. I thought I wanted nickel until I saw how they blended in too much. We have stainless appliances and nickel faucets - I'm not in to the matchy stuff. I love a little contrast. Best picture I could find without people in it -we do entertain a lot! The counter on the left of the stove is stainless steel. The knobs on the corner drawers (instead of a lazy Susan) are black.

• doods
    8 years ago

bronze, a little bit of pop is nice, and it compliments the granite

• aleonito
    8 years ago
    I wouldn't choose either.
    Would you consider different shape of the knobs? I liked the ornate bronze knob someone suggested. Personally I would go with either that or narrow handles rather than knobs. This basic round style knob cheapens the overall look in my opinion. It's not about the metal for me, it's the basic shape that throws it off.
  • nancymontoya
    8 years ago

I did navy blue round stripe glass knobs on all my top cabinets...plan to put pull knobs on bottom...everyone loves the combination of wood cabinets, with glass and metal. Just an idea to the old same old

• cara81170
    8 years ago
    Can someone please give me advise on what to do with this ? Paint , backsplash tile I can refinish the cabinets . I am keeping the granite . I have stainless appliances
  • weezil
    8 years ago

I read somewhere that traditional metals are coming back. Brass and bronze etc. I see that your knob choice in bronze has a kind of basket weave or squares. That's nice and it picks up the tile and square glass block.

• nancymontoya
    8 years ago

think of wood, metal and glass and stone. I have a stone backsplash, rich warm cabinets with glass knobs on top cabinets, metal knobs on bottom...with wood looking countertops. Rich grey would look beautiful on your cabinets or a classic white...wood or stone backspash with your countertops...

• Debby
    8 years ago

nickel for sure; the bronze looks like dark dots on your cabinets as an earlier post said. I would consider using crystal knobs on the upper cabinets. You can get lovely crystal knobs that are inexpensive at the big box stores. Someone also said to consider handles. I think of handles and knobs as jewelry for my kitchen :)

• Majda Jakupovic
    8 years ago
    I like the bronze, it brightens up the whole look and adds a nice shine
  • lilynlevi2
    8 years ago

LOvE the bronze!!

• hotzim
    8 years ago

I would go with nickel because it is easier to match to other accessories that you may want to add. The more you repeat the same color the calmer the end result.

• arizelda
    8 years ago

bronze.

• blackmoon1
    8 years ago
    Wow, this is funny, it reads like boys arguing over Maryanne or Ginger. The truth is both are beautiful, so you can't go wrong. The real question is: what will you like. Brushed stainless has a more contemporary feel, while oil rubbed bronze has a more traditional look. Both may look dated in 10-20 years but you can worry about that then. You can always enamel them. You might also consider copper. As for me I have similar colors in my kitchen and went with bronze, and we have been happy with it for years now. Good luck.
  • nancymontoya
    8 years ago

glass knobs on top... Bottoms with rich rustic pulls... Love the her/classic look with the he/rough look!!!

• Kaaren Baumgartner
    8 years ago

I'd go either, though I think the nickel is more modern, if that's the goal, and the bronze more traditional. I'd like you to consider square handles, or any handles, rather than the small knobs. Better look and will keep your cabinets cleaner. If you do square ones, be sure no bar sticks out at the ends to catch your pockets/legs (lower) or sleeves/arms (uppers). Almost done it seems, nice.

• kenglehart22
    8 years ago
    I vote for the bronze!
  • mdeceault
    8 years ago
    Nickel is my favorite.
  • Elisa Tomczak
    8 years ago

Definitely bronze. My kitchen cabinets are the same wood tone as yours. I also have beige subway tiles with a 2" insert of glass tile all around. I have the oil rubbed bronE handles and they look great

• jsmedrano
    8 years ago

The bronze looks much warmer and inviting. Consider square knobs on the cabinets with drawer pulls- it will look put together, but not take over the kitchen!

• grandmanet
    8 years ago

I vote for the bronze too. The bronze "pops". I put bronze on my medium-colored oak cabinets and I had comments that it looked like I got new cabinets just because of the new updated hardware. AND, I have stainless appliances and a stainless sink. There is another article in Houzz that indicates it's perfectly fine to mix metals. In fact, it is good to have a variation and not everything the same. HOWEVER, I'm not in favor of square knobs. If they ever spin, they would look more like a diamond, so it would be high maintenance to get square knobs.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi grandmanet - I did the same thing - placed bronze pulls on old oak cabinets and they look new. I also have stainless steel appliances. I like mixing metals. After all, I am trying to get away from the matchy matchy all gold everything I had going on throughout the house!

• Elle
    8 years ago

Definitely the bronze. :)

• loudon1
    8 years ago
    Bronze
  • Rita Marokko
    8 years ago

Helen8

I have maple cabinets, appliances are black and stainless so I chose nickel. Also used rectangle knobs on drawers and handles on cabinets. Both have a square shape and follow the square clean lines of the shaker cabinets. Really updated my cabinets and drawers.

• joycelop
    8 years ago

My vote is bronze, or even dark pewter. Your choices shouldn't be too matchy-matchy, they just have to go. Plus, mixed metals can look terrific!

And people, please, the word is "complement", as in to complete something.

"Compliment" is when you say something nice about someone. My memory tag is the first one has a common vowel "e", and the second has a common vowel "i". If that makes any sense to any one ...

• gr8daygw
    8 years ago

Maryanne or Ginger? Ginger! A little spice in life is good : )

• Nancy Lieberman
    8 years ago

I've been going through the same dilemma for my new kitchen, couldn't decide between the nickel or bronze, my cabinets are maple also, but they are caramel stain, I have gone with the bronze , but I'm still not sure. Since my appliances are the GE slate, I think either would be fine , but I like the richness of the bronze.

• Bette P
    8 years ago

Consider testing an 'antique pewter' color, not as dark as bronze and not as light as nickel.

• Nancy Lieberman
    8 years ago

Thanks, will do.

• Eileen Eads
    8 years ago

I vote bronze. I think it pulls the color from your beautiful granite and backsplash and ties it all together. I will say I am biased--we just completed our kitchen reno and we went with the bronze. We also had stainless appliances but pulling color from the granite and backsplash it look great and it think yours would too. The nickel just looks too washed out.

• meora
    8 years ago

Nickel works better with your cabinets

• Elle
    8 years ago

Dark pewter could be a good compromise to complement the silver while having the dark finish of bronze. I went with dark pewter hardware in my kitchen for a classic/modern balance.

• sgoldcamp
    8 years ago

I like the contrast of the bronze

• PRO
    Inspired Interiors
    8 years ago

The contrast of the bronze works well to help tie in the colors from the countertop and backsplash.

• jdemaster
    8 years ago

Bronze. With the nickel there are too many things of the same color intensity. You need contrast.

• jsmedrano
    8 years ago

I was a little worried that the square knobs would move and look funny also, but they have been on for 2 years and haven't moved. I invested in good quality and they actually have little spikey-things that grip into the wood!

• PRO
    Decorating Counselor
    8 years ago
    What about hardware that combines both?
    Decorating Counselor
  • solutionzbykat
    8 years ago
    don't know if you made your choice. I came across this as I am currently in this same dilemma but we have a tuxedo kitchen (off white and black brown cabinets with amarone granite (blacks, grays, rich browns, creams, whites with great motion). I've been leaning towards bronze handles on doors and cabs with the black brown cabs (I like how they disappear). we're not sure about the faucet yet, we may be able to get one more affordable in stainless, or have to spend Reg price and get a the choice of bronze or brushed nickel. I have liked the bronze with the off white prior but it certainly gives a different look than nickel, so now we're not sure if doing the bronze on the off white works as well with the whole kit. the off white cabs are facing the black brown, the kitchen is about 12' x 9'. the pro that posted a comment of combining both or having the best of both - I'm curious as to what exactly you meant? (it was either the 1st or last post)
  • Nancy Lieberman
    8 years ago

My cabinets are maple with a caramel stain, I choose oil rubbed bronze , they look stunning, knobs with engraved leaves for doors and same pattern drawer pulls, an very happy with them, also I have granola Corian counter tops which blends beautifully.

• PRO
    Laurie Signorelli Consulting LLC
    4 years ago

I would go with bronze as it complements the warmth of the wood and overall design best

• melanies1949
    3 years ago

I like bronze, except I can’t tell if they are clean without wiping them all down and same goes for bronze faucet. I’m a messy cook and I want to know it’s clean after I have finished. Just a thought.

• louise rouse
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

it seems you have to choose do you want the pulls and knobs to be the center of attention or for the pulls and knobs to give all the attention to the kitchen as a whole by blending.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH