Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshineandpinot

Decisions made! Need advice on drapes and accessories for family room!

Lauren0319
9 years ago

WOW. I just did a search and found my post from 2010 when I wanted to redo my family room. I had babies instead and never got around to it :/ Here is my post from 2010 with pics of the very blah room.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2656846/help-with-family-room-decor-lots-of-pics

However, we've made some big purchases and the room is getting a complete overhaul.

First of all- purchased this rug in a much bigger size than previous rug.

Replacing the sofa with a neutral sectional (no chaise) from Ethan Allen

Also purchased a large rectangular NAVY tufted ottoman, similar to this.

I am now wanting to bring in color. I am eyeing this pallet:

My first question is drapes- even though I say I want to bring in color, I'm thinking solid, airy navy drapes would look really nice. WDYT?

And then I would bring in color with pillows for the sectional and art over the fireplace and tall wall. We are keeping the leather chairs; they'll be flanking the fireplace.

I'm eyeing art similar to this, something abstract but I haven't found anything I really like.

I'm open to any and al suggestions! Thank you SO much for your input :)

Comments (49)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

I adore your colour palette.

Just me, but I'm a sucker for gold/ochre drapes. I'd do the drapes in the gold and find a large piece of furniture you could paint in the hale navy. Oh, but i forgot your stool is navy - don't put the stool and painted piece near each other.

Navy drapes would be nice too, but I'm just having more trouble picturing it - seems a bit heavy to me. But like I said, I'm partial to gold drapes.

Nice art work, too.

Lauren0319 thanked daisychain01
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure how gold drapes would look next to my builder beige walls... I'll try and find a pic and see how it looks. Thanks for the idea :)

• roarah
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would love to see a red/ pink linen in your room. I found a pic with similar colors as your room and it is just lovely?

Domicile id · More Info

Lauren0319 thanked roarah
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes it is!!!! Really lovely! I want to get red of red and bring in more pink/raspberry... Thank you very much for the inspiration pic!!!! hmmmmm

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hubby is not so fond of pink/raspberry drapes :/

Should I do a print? Ikat is an option and I love it but I feel it's SO trendy right now.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'm going to find ikat accent pillows. They're all over etsy. Love that one @javachik!

• roarah
    9 years ago

Here are some navy print ideas.

Blue Modern Chinoiserie Custom Euro Pleat Drape Single Panel · More Info
    Blue Velvet Flocked Trellis Custom Euro Pleat Drape Single Panel · More Info

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I'm not sure about navy drapes on light beige walls. The eye might go to all that dark fabric and make the room seem a little oppressive. I'd stick with a neutral drape and bring in navy with accents.

Lauren0319 thanked joaniepoanie
  • roarah
    9 years ago

Java's pillow would be perfect for your Wts.

Or a larger scale print with a small amount of raspbery hidden within neutrals so your DH does not notice:)

Falmouth Residence · More Info

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love ikat but it's too busy for my taste for window treatments I think. Especially because I have 5 large windows. I'm really leaning toward a solid. I just can't figure out what color solid. Maybe a lighter blue vs navy?

Or a simple beige?

• roarah
    9 years ago

Would your DH let you do a mostly natural linen curtain with bands of raspberry on the bottoms or sides?

• roarah
    9 years ago

Like this but with your color scheme.

Betsy Burnham · More Info

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love all of your choices! Id use colorful art and various colors and fabric patterns for pillows on your couch. If you are looking to bring in a bluish color from the inspiration photo you posted perhaps one of these velvet curtains from Ikea. They are super affordable and come in long lengths.

Lauren0319 thanked amykath
  • amykath
    9 years ago

The first pair are from overstock.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you aktillery9! So you don't think the blue would be too much? I was thinking a navy linen drape? Something light and airy.

I'm worried if I go beige I will have too much neutral going on- neutral rug, neutral sofa, neutral fireplace, neutral walls.... and I am drawn to rooms with splashes of color and texture.

Here are some very old photos of the room

you can see in this photo it's separated from the rest of my house

The mirror on the fireplace has been repurposed in our master bath :) So I need art work above my fireplace

The new rug is much larger. But much more neutral is color.

• amykath
    9 years ago

What length curtain do you need? Are you looking in a certain price range?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd do the drapes in a soft blue gray, and then work the rest of the colors in in the accessories, concentrating on the navy, the moss green and the ruby red.

I'm saying that only because I think it would be hard to come up with a print with those colors in it that would have scale appropriate for the room. Esp if you are looking for ready made. But maybe you can find smaller prints with those colors that can be used for throw pillows on the sofa...spoonflower may be your best bet. Maybe this one.

Also, I'd suggest hanging the panels on the outsides of the windows a little wider. Right now, the column of fabric looks too narrow for the scale of the window and the room. I don't think you have to get more fabric, just spread them out a little more...

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Top of window to floor is 98". So I might need to get 108" and have them hemmed. My MIL sews beautifully and I bet she'd be happy to do that for me.

I think I'm looking for mid-range, ready made. I purchased some from West Elm a few years ago and I've been very pleased with the quality.

Yes Annie, totally agree. I have pulled the rings outside the curtains Those are just old pics. It looks SO much better :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here are some from Pottery Barn. I love both of these colors!

• amykath
    9 years ago

One more from Pottery Barn

• amykath
    9 years ago

I did a little rough mock up for you. Hope some of these ideas help.

• roarah
    9 years ago

Yay, aktillery! I think this is the first photoshp since the merger. The room is so pretty.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Actually I've done one but on an old thread that was out of date and I didn't notice. Haha

Thanks Roarah!

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow!! Thanks so much! The neutral drapes are lovely. Off to search PB for drapes. :)

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery9, I really cannot thank you enough for the photoshop bc now it has me thinking I'm going too neutral :o

;)

Think I can get enough pops of color with accent pillows and art? Maybe a throw draped over the sectional?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I threw in a throw and changed the curtains to various colors so you could maybe get other ideas if it feels too neutral. I am also posting a photo of a former living room I had before I moved. Maybe that can help with ideas as well. Hope this is helpful!

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aktillery9, your family room has always been one of my favorites!

Thanks again for the mock-up. I'm leaning more toward the blue on the left.

I don't know why I keep thinking about navy drapes- in an airy linen. I'm guessing it will just look too heavy and dark, especially since I have 5 windows? Maybe a blue tone will bring in the color I'm seeking and then I can have fun pops with all the accents. My family room is already a dark room due to the wonderful shade trees we have.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thanks Lauren!! Here is a mock up with navy linen drapes.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I really like the navy mockup!

• robinmdc
    9 years ago

Before i saw the mockup, I thought solid navy would be too much of a contrast against the walls (and that a pattern would be better). But I think it looks great in the picture, and it relates well with the navy ottoman.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes yes yes!!! I love the navy! aktillery9, you're amazing and actually took some weight off my shoulders. I was thinking I was crazy for wanting navy drapes but I love the look!

I would like to do an airy material- should I look at linen? I love the drapes from PB but I love the prices from JC Penny :)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Definitely linen and airy. I think that would look great! I have also added a mock up with no blinds and leaving your windows bare. I think a. it would look lovely to see your trees outside

b. let in more light

c. help in having some coordination with the upper bare windows.

I also added in a throw. I just wished I had and knew how to work with photoshop!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

• amykath
    9 years ago

BTW, it is going to be gorgeous!!!!

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are awesome! Thank you :) I would love to take the blinds down but the windows face the front of our house and this is our only living space.. so at night we do need privacy. :/

Sticker shock- almost $2K. Eeep. http://www.potterybarn.com/products/emery-linen-pole-pocket-drape/?pkey=clinen-drapes&

• amykath
    9 years ago

Did you check elsewhere? I will try and look for you!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Hard to find!!

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They *are* hard to find. These look decent and LOVE the price. My windows are 99" top to bottom so no way that would work :/ But so close! What does the next length add hundred$ and hundred$?

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1624694/palace-taffeta-lined-window-panel-50-x-95-.jsp

I have found several silk options but for some reason I'm stuck on the idea of linen. Maybe more linen options will come out as it gets closer to spring?

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Am I crazy- these are 98"... price is dreamy! Windows are 99".. how much length would I get if I hung then with rings and clips? Could I make it work?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50261900/

• amykath
    9 years ago

It would be close. However, no matter what you do, the top little bit of the window will show if you are trying to get them to hang to the floor. You could cut and the bottoms about 12' or less and then add more fabric. Maybe you can order an extra pair and have a decorative but subtle strip of something navy covering where sewing stitch is. That is what I did for my ultra long curtains in the above the photo. For that price I think it could be worth the effort if you are up to it and still have someone to sew for you.

Does that make sense?

Here is just one example below. You could look around that site or any and get good ideas.

Here is what I mean.navy braid trim

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That does make sense and I think my MIL would be happy to assist me with this.

These might work too. I do really like the look of the rings vs the rod pockets, unless the rod pockets have the pleats. That's a fav of mine.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Blazing-Needles-108-inch-by-52-inch-Twill-Curtain-Panels-Set-of-2/9793679/product.html?refccid=2JEWQXGGH4C2RU2LQTCOUV2IDY&searchidx=27

• User
    9 years ago

It seems you have decided on navy curtains but I wanted to point out that they will fade noticeably at those windows. I liked the photoshop with the softer blue gray curtains for the amount of light you'll be getting as well as the color. Otoh, you could use an oatmeal linen and have it banded with navy the way those curtains Rorah posted were banded with coral. A bit of navy but not overwhelming. You could probably find the curtains and have a workroom add the navy banding at the bottom and leading edges.

Rorah, my mother had those oatmeal linen curtains trimmed with coral in our library when I was a child. No valance, they were on a traverse rod. Decades later she gave them to me and I used them for another five years. Good design is timeless!

Lauren0319 thanked User
  • Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kswl2- that's a really good point; something I hadn't thought of.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

I love the first mock up aktillery did for you. Those pale blue/grey look gorgeous. The navy is too much of a contrast.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I really like the lighter curtains too. The navy ottoman mixed with the navy curtains for some reason, overwhelms me. JMHO.

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm still stuck on curtains. I potentially found this piece of art to place over my fireplace.

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-16190-vintage-bordeaux.aspx

It's got a lot of purple though. And my ottoman is navy.

I found these curtain (price is easier to stomach vs the PB linen ones.)

(arg. Found some great ones on JcPenny and now I can't find them again :(

But these are nice as long as they're not shiny. I really like a back tab look vc grommet. I also like them hung with rings.

JC Penny Drapes

• Lauren0319
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did pick up the above print ($80 at HG:) But I think it's too small. It's 40"x40".

• caminnc
    9 years ago

I would choose the darkest navy sunbrella frabic I could fine suitable for window treatments. Just make sure the fabric isn't too heavy. It will be fabulous.