Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyrose89

Need Ideas for 'Street Appeal'...

amyrose89
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We are doing up the front of this small 3 bedroom home to sell. Has great potential with the beautiful sunny windows at the front... but please help us on where to start, and what colour scheme? We are on a fairly tight budget... and if possible want to avoid rendering whole house, which seems to be first reaction. But ANY IDEAS are welcome! Including garden and house.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Amanda Cullity Interiors
    9 years ago
    I'd plant a hedge along the front brick wall of the house. If you get reasonably mature specimens it will take your eye away from the bricks and emphasize that cool horizontality your house has got going on (like architect Frank Lloyd Wright's houses). I can't see much of the right hand side of the drive, but planting there would help too. I don't mind the colour scheme as it is.
    amyrose89 thanked Amanda Cullity Interiors
  • PRO
    Amanda Cullity Interiors
    9 years ago
    Oh...and make sure the hedge is trimmed parallel to the top of the wall (not parallel to the ground level)!
    amyrose89 thanked Amanda Cullity Interiors
  • PRO
    David Wilkes Design
    9 years ago
    As Amanda has mentioned, definitely scope to do something with the gardens to add a lot of interest. You could even just paint the brick section at the front white and do a simple garden bed/hedge in front of it. Maybe even paint the fascia, gutter & timber boards in the gable to bring some life to it....I find paint and landscaping is a good way to add plenty of value on a tight budget. Good luck :)
    amyrose89 thanked David Wilkes Design
  • Neryl Hollingsworth
    9 years ago
    How about a grass or gravel driveway to get rid of that concrete?
    Traditional Landscape · More Info
    Exterior · More Info
    amyrose89 thanked Neryl Hollingsworth
  • Viorica Cifelli
    9 years ago
    I would either take out the bush and replace with a lower more architectural bush or tree like a blue Japanese i think thats what it is or a pretty blue bush i forget what they are called nursery would know or red Japanese maple if moving the bush I would take it far left and plant maybe some boxwood or some yellow and green bushes I forget what they are called euonymus or something like that and add maybe a dark mulch or a black mulch and make a larger bed not so close to the house maybe one to tie in with the new bush out front
    amyrose89 thanked Viorica Cifelli
  • Viorica Cifelli
    9 years ago
    Plus add a large stone maybe somewhere in the design of the bed a nursery may draw a plan out for you if u bring a pic ours does
    amyrose89 thanked Viorica Cifelli
  • juliajcox
    9 years ago
    I agree with the above comments regarding planting a hedge of some sort directly in front of the house. I can highly recommend 'murrayas' - particularly in the southern parts of Australia. They are a wonderful plant: lush green natives with seasonal delicate, perfumed white flowers that are exceptionally durable (trust me, I would know from neglect of ours!). I wonder if painting the window-sills & garage trim a darker brown (with purple undertones to match the brick) might update the exterior to a more modern look? Good luck!
    amyrose89 thanked juliajcox
  • amyrose89
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    wow... thanks everyone! I will definitely be planting a hedge/hedges now, I had considered it but your feedback is confirming! And the idea of painting up the window sills, facsia, gutters and timber boards in gable is great! What about 'bagging' that front facing brick wall? What would that look like... Also, does anyone agree the roof should be painted?
  • Penelope Grace
    9 years ago
    No, I would not consider painting the brickwork. It is a feature. If you are planning to sell, don't go to the expense of painting the roof, you would not recoup the money. Your money would be far better spent on landscaping as suggested above. Your local nursery will be able to help re: fast growing hedge which will trim well to match the clean lines of the house.
    amyrose89 thanked Penelope Grace
  • zen_garden
    9 years ago
    I think another hedge would just make it all look too "boxy", you need some different shapes. Some strappy flowing plants would be good.
    I could see tall white flowering agapanthus planted in front which would really stand out against the brick work. I don't really like the hedge that's there (too many squares)
    I'd get rid of it and put a couple of architectural plants like Yukkas or large lower growing agaves to open that area up a bit. The bright green would freshen it up and stand out against the dark brickwork.
    Large rocks underneath the plants here would also look good.
    Purple fountain grass looks great with houses your colour but I wouldnt plant it next to the house, maybe on the other side that you can't see in the pic if that needs some plants. I agree with the others, a freshen up with paint on the gutters etc.
    I'd like to see white plantation shutters in the windows but failing that white slatted blinds with really big slats to give the impression of shutters. I'd just pressure clean the driveway.
    Good luck!
  • zen_garden
    9 years ago
    Photo of fountain grass
    amyrose89 thanked zen_garden
  • PRO
    Marion Lam Design
    9 years ago
    Hi there some great points made by all. Always keep in mind your expense vs potential added value to the sale of your property. Simply painting the brick fence and possibly painting the driveway might freshen it up. Often buyers will have their own vision for their new homes so better not to over capitalize.
    I have had clients who have spent small fortunes upgrading thinking it will increase the value; some sold & lost profit or one particular was not able to sell since they over capitalized and ended up staying in their house.
    amyrose89 thanked Marion Lam Design
  • zen_garden
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Also good points Timandra and Marion Lam Design and no point in spending heaps of money, time & effort when you may not get the return.
    The owners of a house around the corner from me went to all the trouble of rendering the whole house only for the new owners to knock it down to rebuild. On closer look I think your existing hedge is a lovely camellia, due to the size of it it's been there a long time and you have kept it nicely clipped so I'd leave it.
    Just continue to keep the yard neat & tidy (it looks pretty low maintenance to me which is a selling point) give the fascia & trim a coat of paint and pressure wash the driveway.
    amyrose89 thanked zen_garden
  • mulligan4668
    8 years ago

Agree with LMD. As you say, it is a small 3 BR which says to me.... "calling first home buyers" who will want to put their stamp on the property or "investment buyers" who will rent it out and all your extras are just that, extras - as you want minimum maintenance on a rental. It looks like a neat, well maintained house in a good size block, it has so much potential. I would emphasise these features, spend the money on the inside if it needs it.

• laroechelle
    8 years ago

I quite like this place as is. Please don't 'bag it'! Just work with the garden. It has a lovely mid-century feel to it that is hard to replicate and much valued by many.

• kym2650
    8 years ago
    I would definitely pressure wash the driveway. You may need to go over it a couple of times though. I don't know what the house is like inside but you may be able to freshen it up with a coat of paint. Anything both inside and outside that looks tired or dilapidated should be repaired. If the house looked well cared for then someone will buy it and add there own touches. Trick up the garden with mulch and some annuals. First impressions really do count. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Cascio Associates - Site Planning - Landscape Arch
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The early comments are starting to sound like the comments we get here in the US. Behave yourselves.

Listen to Timandra.

My only advice, since I have a strong belief that I want my visitors to see my house number and my front door from the street, is to move that square of shrubs blocking the view of the front entrance porch and put them to the side where you want to screen a neighbor's garage or some such use that will please the home shopper.

Return the hedge plants you just bought for a full refund.

Let us see where you are moving to, and help you shape it to fit your own family's activities and personalities.

• PRO
    V Richards
    8 years ago

Here are some of my thoughts on your front garden ...

1. Create a better "welcome walkway to your front steps . remove the hedge currently there ... mass plant an architectural wow-factor plant and uplight so peoplre know where the front entry is during the nightime.

2. "Correct" the sloping lawn, add a paved area for extra parking.

3. Create a garden bed along neighbours boundary and plant up with a hedging plant for privacy.

4. Create a garden bed in front of the wall using plants that will not block out the view from the windows.

5. For the remaining garden bed toward the kerbside, xeriscape with drought

loving plants, choose plants that will not be taller than 5 feet (1.5mtrs)

6. All the garden beds with gravel, crushed river pebbles, or small river stones

to compliment existing driveway. No need to change colours of house!

Now there'll be no lawn to mow - but a valuable extra parking space - a designated "welcome" pathway to guide visitors to your front door - and a gorgeous "garden" to view from the front windows.

• reginatoremo
    6 years ago

Put some plantation shutters in your windows , looks fantastic

• PRO
    Cipriano Italian Home Design
    6 years ago

Paint the brick white, plant lots of greens in front. You can go tropical, desert or classic with the plants.

• LesleyH
    6 years ago
    Please don't paint the brick. You have lovely front windows which contrast with the brick. The brick adds another texture. A low hedge will take away from any perceived bulk. A pretty house. If you can afford the plantation shutters, it would add such class with your lovely windows.
  • girlguides
    6 years ago
    I'd do nothing nice appealing look
    6 years ago
    I would do nothing except clean the driveway. It is neat and tidy the way it is.