Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammisays

First Time Home Buyer Needs Remodel Help

Sammi F
9 years ago

We are buying our first home and we're looking for a fixer upper. We found this. Need help making the front look way cuter. I know this community has some great ideas. I'd love to know your best ones! Thanks!

Exterior Remodels · More Info

Comments (25)

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those two front windows are bedroom windows. And is there any way to get more light into the entry way? The front door is so far back.

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

how did you do that to the house colors? I need a little app like that to work with. Thanks for the ideas. And the hilarious comment about the garage door. :)

• Heidi Dyke
    9 years ago

I did that in Photoshop Elements. It's not that time-consuming, but PSE isn't particularly user-friendly either.

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

I get an almost midcentury modern vibe from this. Ditch the lawn and do mounded grasses.

Gary Hutton Lagoon House · More Info

• pcmom1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Courtyard House · More Info

New garage door when you can.

• PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago

where is the home? It looks like it could be in Southern California!

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is there a way to bring the front door forward? And what can i do with a different paint color than green? Also how can I make the windows look better. And what's going on with that half white section in the front?

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have never paid so much attention to garage doors before!

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For the windows- window boxes and shutters?

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

You could create a narrow entry courtyard from the garage back to the real front door.

Lake House · More Info

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

1939 Bungelow Renovation · More Info

When you bring up shutters and window boxes it sounds to me like you aren't loving the modern/mid century direction.

Wanting cute cottage instead?

• PRO
    Charles Amen Cabinet
    9 years ago

good point pcmom

• PRO
    Charles Amen Cabinet
    9 years ago

The balance of the front view is thrown off by the four car driveway (too much concrete) in front of a two car garage. As others have said the garage door is a stumbling block too. Soften up the driveway with level (not fallowing the slope of the driveway) narrow raised cedar planting beds. As another mentioned, maybe a courtyard of some sort. Maybe tie the cedar beds together with a new front door and garage door.

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes I think I am leaning toward cute cottage. Or- I also like these types of looks but don't know what they are classified as:

• Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I realize those are different styles but not sure what will be a good option for this house.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

SKYLIGHTS.

Sammi F thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago

As budget allows, reduce the size of the concrete driveway. We actually did this to our own home, had contractor come and cut the sides down so it wasn't as wide. (Why the person who built our home in the country thought the house should be on a sea of cement, beyond me!)

Wide flower beds on the left side, built up with the broken concrete?

One other thing we did ourselves to our drive was to stain the concrete with Mason Select stain (home stores). That really softened the look and took away a lot of glare.

New front elevation · More Info

Sammi F thanked pcmom1
  • pcmom1
    9 years ago

Click on, to show the whole photo. See how much better the driveway looks smaller. You can also have the walkway cut out and replaced with something that says "cottage". Also like the siding, shutters, lights, numbers.

899 Coolidge · More Info

Sammi F thanked pcmom1
  • Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love this! It does look so much better. What did they put over on the left? Could we just put grass there for now? Is that economical and easy to maintain? Thanks so much for the suggestion!

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

Front Porch Makeover Summer 2010 · More Info

Probably depends on where you live. Grass in CA isn't economical or easy to maintain. With our drought and the price of water. Plus, it is a bear to take out once established.

Personally, I would use the broken concrete vertically to create an edge, add soil amendment, and create a casual flower bed. Then cover with a layer of bark. Then create another bed under the first window near the front door. It will all tie in!

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

In case you go with the flower beds (and adding a free form sort of one near the front door would break up the horizontal lines) there are a couple things I just want to pass on:

Creating a slight mound with soil and amendments will show off the plants much more and looks much better than straight ground level.

Take your time picking plants and remember the size it will be at maturity. With those little baby ones, that is easy to forget!

Look around your neighborhood at plants, trees that do well. Talk to home centers. If you pick well you can probably get by without sprinklers, just hose watering while young.

Think of the yard in wintertime. You will want to have some evergreens mixed with flowering plants.

OK to have just bark on the area while you plan and decide.

• pcmom1
    9 years ago

Eclectic Gardens · More Info

Some of my favorite plants: rosemary (evergreen, small blue flowers, easy), Nana bamboo (these are small mounded plants that are bright red during winter and bright green the rest of the year), Russian Sage (takes heat and drought with lavender flowers).

Sammi F thanked pcmom1
  • Sammi F
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are awesome! Thank you so much!

• PRO
    Cambridge Pavingstones with ArmorTec
    9 years ago

You can update the look of your home with Cambridge Pavingstones and Wallstones. Consider a pavingstone driveway and walkway leading to your front door. You could also add some stone veneer to your home and garage to really change the look of your home. Please visit our website and view the beautiful photos in our electronic brochure and our gallery. By linking to Cambridge’s Designscape Visualizer you can upload a picture of the front of your home and actually re-design using Cambridge Pavingstones and Wallstones. Visit our website at www.cambridgepavers.com.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths