Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
read_more_books

Cobalt blue paint to match my Kitchen Aid mixer

Joan Habel
9 years ago

We are in the final stages of our complete kitchen remodel.

I couldn't have gotten to this point without the knowledge that I have gained over the past four years of reading this forum to help me plan my kitchen.

So far, all of our choices have been very neutral: cream flooring, beige granite, warm brown cabinets, and a olive/sage green backsplash. (I would post pictures if I could figure out how to do it from my phone.)

We have a small wall surrounding our sliding glass doors which we were going to paint as an accent wall.

We tried a slate blue paint, which looked horrible. So, we decided to be safe (and boring) and just paint it beige.

This evening, I pulled out my cobalt blue Kitchen Aid mixer and put it on my counter. It looked absolutely gorgeous with my color scheme.

I'm now thinking about painting the accent wall the same color as my mixer.

l have Pittsburgh Paints and Sherwin Williams paint color fan decks, but I don't

trust my color choosing abilities after wasting my time and money on the other gallon of blue paint.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good cobalt blue paint color that i could try?

Thanks for all of your help.

Comments (15)

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

You know you can buy those little Sherwin Williams sample bottles for... it used to be $5... I think it might be $8. Well worth the price! You can also order larger sample sizes (as opposed to little chips) from SW & other companies.

• Liz
    9 years ago

Lowes and home depot will mix up sw colors too... They have the formulas... And their samples are like $2 a jar.

If you have a Benjamin Moore or sw store nearby, you might just take the mixer in and let them findnrheir closest match. I have had great color match success at my bm store.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

How large is this wall space? In square footage? Or. How wide are the walls on either side of the door? You may think of taking your slate paint back, with the paint chip of the color you want and have them re-tint it. That should save some money. It sounds like a cobalt blue on one wall as an accent would be a smashing idea. How close to your green backsplash would it be? Please keep us informed. Good luck!

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

I'd try to have a paint store color match to the mixer. And I'd buy the smallest amount they'd sell and paint up a big sample on foam board before putting any paint on the wall.

• Joan Habel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OP here.

Husband and I took a step back and reevaluated in the morning light. We decided attempting a cobalt blue wall was madness.

It would be too overpowering for the space.

We found paint that we had used in our basement called "Cookie Crumb" which is a golden beige color.

It is a pretty close match to the almond grout we used on the backsplash.

Even though it is not exactly right, it looks 100 times better than the slate blue.

My mission now is to find cobalt accessories and artwork for a blank kitchen wall.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I hope to post my reveal pictures in the next few weeks.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Take the mixer in and have them scan it.

Or bring home a pile of various blue chips and tape them to the mixer.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I know you're now off cobalt blue, just thought I'd post if anyone else was interested, I think Ben Moore midnight navy is a pretty good match. It doesn't have quite as much purple undertone as the mixer but would read pretty darn close. The next purplest blues in the deck really are pretty purple (in my climate Scandinavian blue is straight up purple, a lovely one but purple).

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Hmmm, I might need to get one of those cobalt blue mixers to match with all the blue decorator plates I inherited from my Mom. They are Bing and Grondahl plates. If you like decorator plates at all, they might work (it looks on the screen to be similar blues, but you would need to double check). The plates are not expensive -- lots on ebay and the like.

Carol

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

@ontariomom - I have a cobalt KA mixer that I would love to have in either red or stainless instead. It's in a good shape and I'd consider selling it to you if we can agree on a price. It's a 5 qt. model. In good condition.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

I actually have a very decent, rather new mixer too, so I not really in the market for another one. If I was, cobalt blue would be it. I do think the decorator plates I spoke of would be wonderful accessories for the OP. Sorry, funkycamper.

Carol

• Julie Drew
    9 years ago

I have a couple of Le Creuset indigo colored Dutch ovens that, along with my cobalt blue kitchenaid mixer, will provide the splash of color in my otherwise neutral kitchen.

• User
    9 years ago

Intense colors can often work very well in kitchens as there isn't very much actual wall space for them to be so assertive. We used a midnight blue here on the very few exposed walls. It's a shade deeper than the Lagoon Blue island, and it works well to set off the lighter cabinets.

Dynasty Omega Showroom Vignette · More Info

• deedles (zone 4b or 5 depending on whom
    9 years ago

Look at a periwinkle type of blue for the wall... would be gorgeous playing off cobalt and the rest of your kitchen. Course, I'm biased about periwinkle....

• windygal2
    4 years ago

I have just ordered a cobalt blue KitchenAide range, but I can't find one in town to look at. Am I right in assuming the blue is the same color of the rest of the KitchenAide cobalt blue items? I want a blue for the base of the island and for one wall of cabinets that I am planning, and I need a sample to use. Does anone else have any suggestions for a blue to use with that color that isn't so intense? I want to also do a blue granite top on the island, but will most likely use white for the rest of the counters and cabinets. I need to pick some caboinets soon, so if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Elaine