Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madness76

What happens to returned furniture

madness76
9 years ago

We recently received a living room furniture and one chair was not the correct color. The store has no issue replacing the chair with the correct color and said we could use the chair until we receive the correct one which will take about six weeks. Since that time we decided we would like to keep the incorrect chair even after we receive the correct one. Does anyone know what the store would charge us for the chair? The chair new is about 1700.00

Comments (16)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

It depends on the place. With that expensive a piece Inwould be tempted to warehouse it for a bit to see if there were any strange issues (odd pet hair, bugs or whatever) then plopping it on display to sell off at a discount.

Some places will donate to charity.

Especially if we made a mistake I would be open to selling it at a discount to the customer whonended up liking it.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

I want back to my paper work and the chair was only $1050.00 (only). It appears that the color of the chair is correct on my invoice (I say seems because it is all hand written). Now what information want from the store to the manufacturer (FlexSteel) I am not sure. I would hope that the discount would be a good one. But if what the store said is true and the manufacturer made the mistake I am not sure how they handle that.

Thanks again for your reply.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

If the furniture was delivered and not used as would be the case that it didn't fit it would be run into stock. If the furniture was used than that is another story. If an error was made in order entry the retailer would bring it back to the store and either sell it on their floor or in their clearance center. If the item was used it should be given to charity.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

It will have been used for at least 8 weeks before we receive the correct chair.

I cannot say for sure who made the error. But the store blamed the manufacturer Flexsteel.

That being said I spoke with the store the other day to get an update on the new chair and to order an ottoman to go with it. The chair is apparently still in production and may be in the local warehouse on two weeks (not holding my breath I was told because of the error they would try to have it in 4-6 weeks we are at 6 going into 7 weeks now).

I also asked what discount I could get if I wanted to buy the incorrect chair. The reply was 20% which did not seem much of a bargain to me at least since I did not receive the correct chair and the chair has been used (this was originally ordered back in November).

I pleaded my case that I am taking the used chair off your hands which leads to no inventory, no more handing (shipping) overhead of the chair. The answer was a bit confusing when the store said that they would returning it to the manufacturer since the manufacture made the error. I am not sure it they meant the physical chair (I doubt it) or some type of credit.

So much for the store giving it to charity.

Thanks again for your reply.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the your input.

I would think the same as it gets a piece of although that not all that much used but it is still used furniture off their books.

This is a small local furniture store and I probably paid more for the entire order (near $5000) than I would have at the larger retail stores. But I thought they would be more personal and helpful than the larger retail stores. But apparently not this time.

Looks like I may need to do more negotiation and see where it goes.

Thank you.

• PRO
    Famaliving San Diego
    9 years ago

It all comes to how much this store can sell this chair for without you buying it. If they have a way of selling it above your offer - they will not go down on it. I do not think they are considering donating it vs selling at a 30% discount.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure if they can sale it since it it getting near to two months of being used.

I also do not what deal they made with the manufacture since it was their mistake.

I am thinking of contacting the manufacturer and see what they say.

I am not very pleased with the store I bought the furniture from. I spoke with them 10 days ago concerning the price and buying an ottoman to match and still no response.

The only thing I received for the trouble of not getting the correct color chair was the use of the incorrect chair.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

Have you called the store back and tried to negotiate a price on the chair or perhaps you have had enough and don't wish to be involved with them any further.

madness76 thanked freethinker99
  • PRO
    V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona
    9 years ago

It Depend on the place. If the furniture was delivered and not in used as would be the case that it did not fit and it will be run on the stock.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you frethinker99,

Yes I have had enough if the store. It was two weeks yesterday that I last spoke to the store (Gamburgs in Hatboro PA) and I have heard nothing. I did speak with the manufacturer this week but never got a good answer from them. With the exception to try another store that sells FlexSteel to buy the ottoman. Concerning the incorrect chair that they (Flexsteel) made the mistake on they did say since it has been used and if it does come back to them (FlexSteel) they have a warehouse in which they would sell it "as is" at a high discount. To rub salt on the wound the original sales person has NEVER called.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you V-Dub,
    The chair has been used now for about 8 weeks. I never should have and never will buy or recommend them. I may even go out of my way to be sure others have second thoughts to buy anything there.

It was two weeks yesterday that I
    last last spoke to the store (Gamburgs) and I have heard
    nothing. That was not the first time I called. The only time they contacted me was by mail to show me the invoice of the even swap when they deliver the correct color chair.

If you look at the previous messages you will see that re not even helpful while I am trying to buy an ottoman to match the chair from them.

The only thing they did positive for me was back in January when they told me that I can use the chair.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    9 years ago

If the manufacturer is a fault they will take the chair back from the retailer & the retailer will not have to put in into their stock.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the response.
    I am trying to buy it from the retailer, but the best offer they gave was 20% off. The chair has been used now for 10 weeks. I was hoping that since I am taking a piece of furniture that will have to be sold "as is" I could get a better discount. I am also saving them transportation, handling and storage. And they get the cash today and not maybe three months from now.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    9 years ago

We sell at discount prices so we do not have much room for discounts. In your situation we would contact the manufacturer & see what, if any discount they would offer to keep the chair & pass that discount on to you. In most cases to put the chair on our showroom floor it would marked higher than the original customer paid; it would also be understood that the merchandise would be in the same condition on return as it was when delivered.

• madness76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.
    Yes it is still in the same condition, but now used for ten weeks. I did speak to the manufacture (Flexsteel) and if they get returns to them they sell it in a warehouse environment "as is" since there no way to tell how a person used it or if they had pets on the chair.