Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedahlia5

Miniature african violet drooping badly

bluedahlia5
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I recently bought a miniature african violet at a violet show/sale. I've had one in the past and had great luck with it. I repotted it with african violet potting soil - though I know it needs more vermiculite - I'm pretty sure the soil is a bit heavy - but I don't think it's too bad. I planted it in an african violet ceramic feeder style pot. Within a few days the leaves began to look a bit limp, and now it's getting very limp. The soil does not seem to be absorbing much moisture through the ceramic pot, so I've chosen to carefully water a bit from the top. Yesterday I panicked because it looked so sad, I put it into a large glass domed refrigerator dish and misted the inside of the dish with water to give it some extra moisture in hopes that the main issue is dryness. I think I should repot it again with better soil but I'm afraid it's in such a fragile state that I might kill it. Please offer any advice if you can. I used to grow lots of african violets - at one time I had more than 30 - but life got in the way and I gave it up. I've started up the hobby again and it seems I'm rusty at my skills. :( I'm including a picture. I hope you can give me some ideas before it's too late! She's so sweet, I don't want to lose her.

Comments (34)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

If the label of petrocosmea is accurate, then it is NOT an African violet. It should be in a much smaller pot and it shouldn't dry out nor be water logged with heavy soils. It should also be kept cool (possibly cooler than your house).

bluedahlia5 thanked dbarron
  • aegis1000
    9 years ago

That's a very odd note on the tag ... Petrocosmea - Flaccid ...

If the tag came with the plant, ... that suggests that the plant had issues with drooping BEFORE you purchased, and repotted it.

I'd suggest that your soil is too heavy, and that the ceramic pot is not allowing sufficient drainage of excess water from the pot. When you repot to a smaller pot, in a lighter mix, ... check for and cut off any rotted (brown) root material, repot, and water sparingly until the plant recovers.

bluedahlia5 thanked aegis1000
  • aegis1000
    9 years ago

On further researching, however ... there exists a Petrocosmea cultivar named "Flaccida", which is so named because its leaves are MORE FLACCID than typical for Petrocosmea.

The advice given for winter growing was to allow the plant to rest with less watering and cooler temperatures.

I've included a picture and the link to the cultivar's information.

Petrocosmea Flaccida link ...

• bluedahlia5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, you are exactly right. It is called a Petrocosmea Flaccida. I think you are both right in that the soil is not light enough and not allowing the roots to breathe nor allowing the moisture to properly absorb. I will read the information you found. It sounds like I will need to repot it again, but this time with a lighter mix and a smaller pot. The pot seemed so small, but not small enough. I think maybe wick watering would be better than using the ceramic drop in pot?

Thank you both so much for your advice. I really hope I can save it.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I personally don't favor wick watering...in general. Especially for a plant that needs to be kept a bit drier than an AV.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

There are some really pretty petrocosmeas.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

They're darling....but not good (I find) for me with a warmer house. But so cute, you can hardly resist wanting to bring them home.

• Karin
    9 years ago

one thing i've read about petrocosmea (i have four varieties so far, and only two are doing ok, so don't count on my advice) is that they really, REALLY, don't like their roots disturbed, and will sulk after being repotted.

some people mat water, whilst others insist that they need to be kept on the dry side - i'm still trying to figure out what works for them. currently, i have mine in an old glass tank on the (cold) window sill. one of them even bloomed this winter, so i can't be doing everything wrong....

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Froeschii, is the white one a chirita or another petro?

• Karin
    9 years ago

They're all petrocosmea. Front right is p. Cryptica (used to be rosettifolia). The others are p. Minor, ht2, and fluffernutter in the back.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hi Bluedahlia! Whatever happened to your plant? I wish I would have paid more attention to this post but I was just getting back into the forum only to find out how much it changed!

I would like to know how your plant is doing. I never heard of it before. Did it live? Just based on the photo of the pot it is in I would have advised a lot of perlite (and no vermiculite or peat) mixed in to the point of very fast drainage. A very light mix. Only because those pots definitely use unglazed ceramic bisque (the part the plant soil is touching) which will act as the wick. The shiny part of the pot is glazed and is non porous. I have made a lot of those pots in ceramic and when I am going to plant in one, before I put the plant in it I fill it with water and let it soak as much as possible and then plant. And only lightly water. The water in the reservoir will soak into the (bisque) unglazed part where your soil touches and wick into the soil where ideally it will evaporate up and out of the soil. You either love those pots or hate them.

Any update??? Thanks Rosie

• bluedahlia5
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Rosie, the petro is alive! I did repot it into a very small clay pot and have actually just been watering it lightly from the top because I'm so afraid of overwatering it. It has grown but no sign of blooming. The center still seems pretty tight. I keep it in bright indirect light. I'm just very happy that it's still going along and hopefully with time it will bloom. I believe they're slow growers? Unfortunately I was new to those unglazed ceramic drop in pots and I actually killed one of my African violets due to overwatering. I think I've got the hang of it now and I do have one African violet in one of those pots that's doing well. Thanks for asking! I'll post a picture one of these days. I appreciate the advice on the perlite. I do have a very light mixture in there but it does have some vermiculite.
  • Rosie1949
    8 years ago

OM I am so happy that it is doing well! I would love to see a pix! If it is doing well, then I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of vermiculite in the mix, apparently it isn't too much.

I did google it and it says to treat it more like a succulent. More on the dry side and apparently you must have found that right dryness. The flowers are also very beautiful. Quite a unique plant! I had never heard of it until you posted!

I would love to trade something (if possible) for a leaf or start. Click on my name and "follow" me so I can message you. Thanks! Rosie

• bluedahlia5
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I thought I would update you all on my little petrocosmea. She is blooming! I'm so happy. It took forever but then she just started doing her thing. So cool!
  • aegis1000
    8 years ago

Well, would you look at that ... you must be taking good care of her.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Wow! That is beautiful! I have never seen one of those! (adding it to my wish list,,,,,,,,,) Whatever you are doing you must be doing it right. Keep up the good work. Rosie

• bluedahlia5
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm honestly not doing that much. Just leaving her alone in bright indirect light and only watering when I think she's very dry. It was a total shot in the dark. I tried doing a leaf cutting but failed. I might try it again. If I succeed I'll tell you how I did it.
  • Rosie1949
    8 years ago

I just looked up propagation for this plant. Lots of info out there. To much to print here. I just typed in "propagation of Petrocosmea". Good luck! Rosie

• dbarron
    8 years ago

It's lovely..and that's true of so many plants...don't fuss over them. Great work.

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Just being a general pest regarding to the correct names - Petrocosmea cryptica, Petrocosmea flaccida, Petrocosmea minor - are species that grow naturally in China on limestone hills in the cracks, often in a shade. They do not need a lot of soil, do better in shallow bulb pans and plant saucers - with holes - wicks or no wicks. Adding a layer of perlte on the bottom, perlite and dolomite to the AV soil mix and keeping them in a cool environment - think - bottom shelf - makes hem grow large and symmetrical. Seems that they do bloom better if keep cold, usually in spring. Bluedahia grew an excellent blooming specimen deserving a Blue Ribbon!

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Irina, valuable information and I saved it in my file. I hope to have one of these someday.

My question is (based on the fact that the photo shows a recovered plant), do they always look as though they are hugging the pot? Is that correct? I guess I thought the leaves should be more stand outish live a violet.

It is not a dealbreaker, I just want to understand everything so when I finally get one, I can grow it correctly! Thanks! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Rosie - it is their nature. In the wild - they attach themselves to the cracks in the stone and hug the rock. They grow where grass cannot grow - it is their niche. If you put it in a saucer - it will be repeating the flat surface, if you put it in a tall pot - it will be hugging the tall pot looking weird. There are several Petrocosmeas that grow more upright - P.kerrii, P. parryorum and P.cerulea. First 2 - are even not from China - they are from India - so they are not close related to the rest of the species in this genus. I do not think you can cross them with Chinese species.

I suspect they thrive on neglect...

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks, if I get one, I won't worry about the "hug"! lol Rosie

• bluedahlia5
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much irina for the wonderful information!!! I'm scared to move her in case I would traumatize her with the change. But I'd like to try a more shallow dish/pot. I guess I shouldn't bother her too much considering she's blooming after a year of patience! Thanks again!
  • irina_co
    8 years ago

The leaves are brittle - so when you repot it - try to hold by the rootball - otherwise I think they like to be repotted once a year. Starting babies from a leaf is the same as for AVs, but separating the babies - that's a nightmare - they are so breakable. But they do recover well.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hmmmm, well I guess I do have to worry about the "hug"! Keep answering questions if you will Irina, I keep saving the information! Rosie

• irina_co
    8 years ago

Our topic really belongs to the Gesneriads. But I truly believe that AV people need to try differnt Gesneriads - because the growing conditions are similar and they create more interest and variety in your collection. AVs only - is like a monoculture. Like people who grow an outside garden - do not cover all their vegetable garden with spinach only. They grow different veggies. And if they grow Roses - they do not usually grow 600 roses, they plant other blooming plants - for spring and for fall and for dog days of summer.

• dbarron
    8 years ago

And there are so many interesting plants, among just the gesneriads, let alone all the other possibilities. I like to grow scented plants like gardenias and jasmines indoors.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

I understand that it should be moved but had it not been for the initial posting I would not be educated about this plant that I knew nothing about. Don't get me wrong,,I know about gesneriads, I just love Sininngias. Used to grow them back in the day. But I never heard of this particular plant. Glad she posted. Glad for input from Irina! I just became a little more educated. Rosie

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks! Rosie

• dbarron
    last month

I know I'm necroing this thread, but there's not a lot about petrocosmeas out there ;) I purchased another in the fall and it's still with me and seems happy. 'Keystone's Belmont', which Tim says blooms more regularly and earlier than normal in his culture, at least.

I know it's hard for me to keep it cool enough in summer...but they're just so irresistible!

• terrilou
    last month

I purchased my first Pet last fall and i’m still learning how to care for it. i kept it in a cool room this winter but its now in a warmer place. I shall see how it fares. This one is Keystone’s Blue Jay.

Terri

• alabamaav
    last month

Petrocosmea barbata can tolerate slightly warmer temps and is very easy to bloom. Plus some have a bit of yellow on the flowers. Also love the Keystone series. Good luck!