Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Labeling seed germination trays

brian6464
9 years ago

Just finally getting around to seeding this weekend. Anyone have an ingenious method for labeling the seeding trays?

I know some people create maps on paper.

In the past, I have used tooth picks with masking tape folded over like a flag on one end. I label both sides as they invariably fade with the moisture of the dome. It works, but I'm sure there is a better way.

I plan on 45 different peppers this year.

Comments (19)

• noinwi
    9 years ago

I save corndog sticks just for this. I cut them in half with needle-nose pliers and they're the perfect length for cell packs. They can be written on with pencil and won't fade before transplanting to larger pots. I grow on a small scale so I can have two or three varieties in one pony pack and the corndog sticks work for this, or I can place just one in a pack if just one variety is in it. You could probably do the same with popsicle sticks and I've seen them sold in bags in crafting sections of stores in the past. Or go buy some yummy popsicles to reward yourself for gardening.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I find putting labels in each tiny starter cells, egg cartons, .. not practical .
    So I make charts in my notebook for it. The charts also become a record keeping information, as I date and make notes.
    Then when I want to pot them I use labels. I use old blinds an Sharpie permanent marker. Stay in tact all season long.
    Well, we all have our ways of doing thing to our convenience, no doubt.

Seysonn

• noinwi
    9 years ago

I also use the mini-blinds when planting outside but it's easier for me to use the sticks for cell packs.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I use frilled toothpicks, but I am only starting a few kinds at a time. I use flat marbles to mark which emerged first. Selecting pressure for early germination.

• ryang23
    9 years ago

http://m.target.com/p/up-up-disposable-plastic-cups-3-oz-80-count/-/A-15763972

Hey Brian, I use those cups from Target and label with a black sharpie on the side of the cup. Works incredibly well for me. They're small enough that you can start a bunch with little room, and can stay in the cups for about a month before translating. I take a knife and poke a hole in the bottom for drainage. I also keep an .xls file on my phone for more details as seysonn was taking about.

Once I transplant, they get one of these plant labels. Extremely sturdy and will last all year

https://www.menards.com/main/p-2259428-c-10125.htm

Peppers · More Info

Peppers · More Info

• brian6464
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I probably do things the hard way. I start my seeds (3 per cell) in the plastic germination trays and then transplant them all to solo cups later. I find it easier to split seedlings this way if they all come up, but it certainly is more work. I'm way behind all you guys. It was either let them die while on a Mexican vacation or just start everything when I got back. So off I go this week. Probably 3 weeks later than last year, but still plenty of time here in MN.

Ryan - I have the same one's from Menards for my pots. They are very sturdy.

This is what I do for my starter cells. Fit perfectly inside the starter cells with dome but a pain. Again, I am a glutton for punishment.

• noinwi
    9 years ago

What matters Brian, is that it works for you.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

I use plastic markers with species written in sharpie, which come off with DN alcohol, so they're reusable. Screw each to a cell line in the tobacco trays. Transplant to clear solos with species written on it with sharpie. Clear cups allow you to see root development...

• brian6464
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tom / Ryan - you both mentioned or showed a pic of clear solos (I guess Ryan's were actually blue). Most advice on pepper forums have always said to stay away from clear cups to keep from frying the roots. Have either of you ever had issues?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I use the same method as ryang23. I create a seedling map on my computer while they are in the 1" starter cells. Then, when I pot up to 4" pots, I use a pack of the white stakes from a store. They cost a couple bucks but I can reuse them and they are designed perfectly for what I want. I am all for saving a buck here and there but it's a no brainer for me.

I have also found that sharpie makes a "Paint" pen that I use to mark my 5 gallon pots for the summer. Nothing else I use lasts more than a month in the elements but the paint pen writing looks fresh even at the end of the summer.

• tomtuxman
    9 years ago

@brian -- Actually nothing wrong with clear solos if you keep them in an opaque receptacle or tray (up to soil level) for bottom-watering. Then they can be lifted out to see root progress and it's easier to check if they are getting root bound. They don't get fried. I've used clear solos for toms, peppers, eggplants -- even asparagus last year.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Brian,

Never had an issue with root frying, as I move my seedlings to larger pots after they're 6-8". Damn roots can fill up a cup FAST!

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

If I'm using re-usable pots, I use cut up mini-blinds. One broken blind will yield tons and tons of markers.

I can't do plotting maps to save my life with pots. Stuff gets shuffled around, or repotting gets expanded on... I end up forgetting to make up new maps or screw up marking maps, and... sigh... I use markers because then that way no matter how shuffled the pots get, I always have a marker in the pot.

I've used toothpicks with flags in the past, but sometimes those can get knocked about or lost- particularly when I move the pots outside, and a nosy critter decides to check the pots out, lol. Mini-blind markers sink in deep and don't come out.

This year I will be using some solo cups to hold my "unwanted" seedlings- I plan on setting up a table at the end of the driveway to sell them off. So for those I will write right on the cup what the kind is.

• ryang23
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Brian, have never fried roots but have heard the same thing. Maybe the blue cups work to keep the light at bay...and all of those were under a T5 HO Hydrofarm 4x4 fixture. As you can see, I also pot up before things get too root bound. Started in December, basement is damn near a jungle at this point. Your moruga, tasmanian, reaper, scotch bonnets and yellow devils tongue are in there somewhere

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

you can go to any drug store and buy a box of wooden tongue depressors … easy to write on. WIll last one season. six bucks a 1000 or so if'n i remember correctly

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Yeah, Dave.
    You can buy them at crafts shops for much cheaper. . But I still find those too big in 1" cells. I just use a pencil and a ruler and make a chart in my notebook. It also becomes a record keeping source. Once I pot them up, then I use label stick make of broken plastic blinds.
    I think these things are minor personal ways. If it work for you what you do, then just do it.

Seysonn

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I make a grid in my notebook. Sharpee on cups. I'll make tags when I'm ready to plant. I don't want to waste time making extras.

I also use a hole punch to mark the cell trays so I know which one it is.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

That is how I do it also.
    Then i date WHEN sowed, WHEN germinated, WHEN potted .. and notes about failures and germination rate,..etc.

Seysonn