Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicia_12607

Need help redecorating interior of monolithic dome home!

Felicia
11 years ago
I am going to redo the interior of this space and I am looking for some ideas!

Comments (36)

• otmminaj
    11 years ago
    I would give it a neutral color scheme and get rid of those dated light fixtures raise it and center it to the level of the stair case rail. I would take out that carpet and put a tile or wood flooring and make the room fell bigger. I would get creatative and add some more pieces of furniture like a couch and a few chair or a chaise lounge. I wound put some built in on the tv wall to avoid putting a lot of furniture or get a crendza under the tv and flank it with some book shelfs.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Were actually buying the house so it's going to be a blank canvas pretty soon! These were the pieces the previous owner had.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would like to modernize the space a lot more than this is. And I highly agree with changing out the light fixtures and raising it some. The home is huge and very high...this pic doesn't even explain the height at all!
  • otmminaj
    11 years ago
    Ya with time this home will look sooo cool! The the architectural details the modern feel will look great
  • curacaoblue
    11 years ago
    I would put in hardwood floors and replace the iron hand rails. So many possibilities. Very unique!
  • otmminaj
    11 years ago
    Lol ya and don't mean to creep u out but I am only a thirteen year old boy with a passion for interior design and exterior and architecture!
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    Play up earth tone colors. Unique space!
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks very much for the comments! I will definitely take them all into consideration!
  • tjmoon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You know, I think I would keep the light fixtures as they are for awhile. I work at an antique and decor store that specializes in light fixtures, and that style is coming back around. You wouldn't believe all the people who come in looking for it. I would recommending making all the other changes first, and use a lot of modern furnishings. You may be surprised to find that the light fixtures may actually work if you change some other things. If you do decide to change them, put them on Ebay or sell them to an antique store. Don't throw them out!
  • thislittlehouse
    11 years ago
    What at amazing space! I think start with your colour palette - paint and flooring. Changing these will make a big difference. Keep the stair rail - they are absolutely gorgeous! Contrasted with timber floors they would look stunning!
    :) Elise
  • nsalta
    11 years ago
    Attached is a photo of a more modern rail. It would be nice to have floating treads as well. I would go with a wide plank wood floor in a lighter tone and keep everything neutral with splashes of bright colored accent pieces.
  • nsalta
    11 years ago
    Here is one idea.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks very much for all the comments. I really appreciate them all!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    I would definitely remove the carpeting on the stairs. Here's another idea for the stairs.
    http://www.acadiastairs.com/straight_stair_gallery.html
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Also, I would go with sound absorbing flooring and aztec style rugs.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Hire an experienced designer. Your new place is so uniquely hip and needs to be handled with special care! I do not think you should remove the fixtures or add wood floors (would go with tile) but do agree that the carpeted stairs need to go. Seriously, hire a designer to maximize this look.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Depends on the budget, there can be a lot to do or a little.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I am attaching a couple more pics of the space!
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We actually don't plan on spending a whole lot on the space due to the fact that the furniture we have now is going to update it a ton! We do want to change the stairs though and update the railing on the staircase and along the top ledge. I'm undecided on changing the paint color up top or not. And also should I paint the bottom half or not?
  • intltraveler
    11 years ago
    Cool home. Is that wood flooring upstairs?
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    barnettcj...The flooring upstairs is also carpet. That's a wood trim going around the base.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    So, paint the whole place white. Update the stairs to the wonderful picture above. Done.
  • PRO
    gm construction and design
    11 years ago
    The carpeting on the stairs has got to go. I would probably use a dark wood on the stairs, and I would have them be floating. (think Brady Bunch) I think you need to embrace the 70's style of this house instead of trying to turn it into something it's not. I agree that the lights should stay. As far as the flooring goes, I would do a large tile, or if there is concrete under that ugly carpet, stain the concrete - very chic. If you do end up doing a hard surface floor, be sure to have lots of area rugs because your space is cavernous as it and carpets will warm it up. The wrought iron crosses I think are meant to match the wrought iron banisters, but it just makes it busy. I would instead put a couple of long panoramic art pieces on that wall. Best of luck to you.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Be sure to bring in someone who understands the issues with sound that you'll have in such a space. Many are advocating removal of carpet, but you will need lots of rugs, soft goods and fabrics to reduce the volume of noise in a space like yours.
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    Wow, cool space! Congrats!
    I agree with the staircase and the carpet, that needs updating or at least removing the carpet.
    I also agree with the sound issue, you cannot all go "bare" it will feel like a cave and echo. It will also absorb all your heat in the winter.you need some softness to downplay the scale and materials of the space.
    I see some "vintage" stonework on one picture. Personally, if you want modern, I would somehow change that, if possible.
    Regarding the light fixture, it is your house, but the main question, does it light the space well at night? Or does it give everything a "blah" look? You need good lighting, good heat distribution and sound management in a place like that.
    I would definitely paint. Get rid off the strange green.If you paint the lower part a darker colour, it might fool the eye when downstairs, and not make you feel the height as much, feel a little "cozier" downstairs, if you know what I mean...
    In general, if you get a whole new staircase arrangement, I would paint the wall behind a special accent colour, to draw the eye to that focal point in the room.
    Thanks for sharing your great space, enjoy your new home!
  • texandancer
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of a dark color on the walls to make it feel more cozy, maybe a dark red if that goes with your things. Hardwood floors do not always work well with moist basement type floors, so do not use wood if any chance of moisture getting in. Current photos are so busy: you need a few relly large wall decorations. Pier One and Kirlands in the USA actually have some nice large artworks/mirrors on sale now.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think I'm going to go ahead and leave the carpet in there. It is actually really nice if you seen it in person and makes the place cozy! I'm definitely wanting to take it off the staircase though and replace the railing with something else. The home has to keep a certain temperature at all times and I don't want any other flooring to make that a challenge :) but thanks again for the input.
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    MVEASEY...All you see in the pics is the previous owners stuff. It is almost all cleared out now and I will soon update more pics of a blank canvas. The home has 3 skylights that provide a massive array of lighting throughout the entire home during the day besides the kitchen and master bedroom. It is very well lit at night though!
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    Here a few photos for inspiration...
    Good call on the carpet and the staircase. I would try to find some banisters, that will not look too commercial or industrial, that might feel cold or pedestrian.
    Here a few cable ones, or even drywalled one.
    Also a few soft, tall room photos and some with colour on the lower half. I would opt for a warm colour to be complimentary to your carpet, not neccessarily matching...
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    A few more photos
  • Felicia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you very much...I appreciate the pics!
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Some skylights offer remote controlled shade. If there is too much lunar light, you could close the shade.

If you paint up or down darker I would paint the upstairs part darker. This will lower the height and make the downstairs appear to come out of the shade of the flooring upstairs. I'd repaint the green part upstairs to match the dome but hang a very large textile on the wall. Partly for sound absorption and partly for aesthetics.
  • Brenda
    9 years ago
    We have a geodesic dome. Sound travels and musicians love the amphitheatre effect but this can be detrimental if upstairs ceilings are open and happen to be bedrooms. Good lighting in the large room is challenging especially if furniture is placed away from walls. Built on a cement slab the flooring is a mix in the large front half of dome that is open to the sloping ceiling. Carpet is laid in a half circle around a brick fireplace floor that extends from the fireplace, then ceramic tile extending from carpet border out to the exterior walls of the dome. All our walls are done in varnished cedar/pine which follow the triangular angles therefore I struggle with dim lighting and color choices on the interior walls that make up the rooms. I hardly notice the rod iron staircase that closely hugs the wall as it flows to the upper level of three bedrooms. Upper level is all carpet which I want to change to easy clean wood click flooring along hall and into bedrooms. I am afraid it may be noisier but scatter rugs in bedrooms should make it better.
  • Brenda
    9 years ago
    You must have a good feel of your dome by now and may have proceeded with your own special touches. Decorating a dome is unique and being unable to able to gather ideas specific to it is a challenge. Renovating is awkward and may require an engineering perspective but in the end your feeling of the space will develop and even change with time. Wish you the best in you endeavours.
  • decorgirly
    9 years ago
    I would love to see what you ended up doing and how your furniture looks in your house.