Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuber1974

Electric push mower vs Gas mower self propelled

tuber1974
9 years ago

I recently fired my lawn service and decided to do it myself (if you want something done right, do it yourself). I have a quarter acre lot minus 1500 sq foot house. I tried out the new EGO electric mower. The EGO is great but it is a push mower. I can not even imagine cutting the grass in 95 degree Florida weather with a push mower. I started looking at honda gas self propelled mower. My only hesitation is the upkeep of gas mower. The smell of gas in the garage, the oil/spark plug/air filter upkeep, etc. But I wonder if all that is worth not huffing and puffing pushing a mower under 95 degree weather. Any walk behind gas mowers out there who swears by the power of a gas mower or will be buying an electric mower once their gas mower dies - Please weigh in. I would like to hear from the electric mower owners as well. Thank you in advance.

Comments (6)

• BirkdaleSteve
    9 years ago

Tuber1974, I have a gas mower - it's not self-propelled, but it's still gas-powered so I think I can comment on the maintenance you're mentioning.

1. Smell of Gas: as long as you make sure to pour the gas into your lawnmower outside in the open air (i.e., in your driveway and away from the garage), then you shouldn't have an issue with gas smelling up your garage. Just keep a rag to wipe any spillage from the mower and your hands, and you'll be fine.
    2. Maintenance: The oil change, spark plug, and air filter are once-a-year things to do at most; I am pretty awful on maintaining my mower (I've changed the spark plug and air filter maybe twice in the 5 years I've had my mower) and it's still running like a champ. Others can weigh in on this, but filter/spark-plug won't cost much and if you aren't able to change them yourself, chances are, your neighbor will be able to do it for you (it's not a very involved process).

I think electric mowers are great for some people, and great for those who are very concerned about their "carbon footprint". For me personally, I didn't buy a self-propelled mower because I am frequently in need of more exercise :)

Your point about huffing and puffing in 95-degree humid weather is valid, and a self-propelled may make it easier and quicker for you.

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I push my B&D battery mower on my 1/4-acre in San Antonio in 95+ heat. Been doing that since they first came out. I can't say enough good about the battery mower for this size lot. I no longer have carbon smells in my garage. I never have to check (or spill) the oil or gas. I love it. A gallon of gas has tremendous explosive power, so I feel much safer not having any gas cans around. I have several electric (corded) power tools, but all my new yard tools are going to be battery powered.

Having said that, I can sympathize with the heat issue. If I had a choice of a battery powered self propelled (or riding) mower, that sounds pretty enticing.

• zone7patti (7b)
    9 years ago

We have both an electric and a gas mower. I think the electric is great for the flat areas PLUS because it's quiet, I can run it before the neighborhood's 10 a.m. weekend no-mowing convention (it's not a "law" but we do talk about those early risers) or later in the evening (after I hear we're in for a storm overnight or the next day). An electric is too much work for our whole yard because the lawn slopes too much. Downhill is just fine but our gas mower is self-propelling and gets back uphill without too much extra work from me.

I would guess that in Florida, your grass grows like crazy all the time. Maybe you could just count your mowing as your main exercise and do 20 minutes every day with an electric mower. The gas mower needs more maintenance than the electric, and the gas does smellwhich might be even stronger in your weather. If you do get a gas machine, and start smelling it inside the house, don't hesitate to replace the gasket around the door

That said, with the better and better (longer lasting and stronger) batteries available every year, we're in for a battery (no-cord) electric if/when ours bites the dust. Hey! since you're no longer paying a service, you might look into buying one of those lawn mowing robots. I've seen them--they are like that vac'ing robot you can find on youtube riding cats around the house. I can just see one zipping around, covered with little lizards going for a joy ride!

• BirkdaleSteve
    9 years ago

I have to say, I'm kind of intrigued by the 'automatic mower' concept. My yard is small enough to where mowing isn't too much of a hassle; but I can see the appeal.

RoboMow RS-630

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

Ask morpheuspa about his mowbot.