Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_168309

What style architecture is my house?

Hello! Would like to paint the outside of my home. Don't know whether to use authentic victorian colors or not. Built in 1890's but clearly dutch colonial inspired. What you can't see is that the right side of house does not have a sloped roof. So from the street it looks like 1/2 dutch colonial, 1/2 federal style. What would you call this style of architecture? What color schemes would look well? Was considering installing victorian style scalloped shingles on part of exterior 2nd story. What do you think?

Comments (10)

• sackingj
    9 years ago
    I'd say it is a "Victorian" house. Victorian is more of an era than any particular style. There are many different Victorian styles, Queen Anne, Italianate, etc., yours is one of them, albeit not a particularly ornate one. There is no need to stick with a historic paint scheme unless you live in a historic district, but you can if you want. I'd just go with a standard 3 color paint scheme - 1st for the body, 2nd for the main trim, 3rd for doors and window sashes. I wouldn't add decorative shingles, or any other new ornamentation. Old house afficianados call that "frenching it up" and it is a practice that is somewhat frowned upon. People who love old houses want them left original. Your house is already beautiful.
  • Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    I would just call it beautiful! With an architectural shingled charcoal roof, you could change colors to anything, but I like what you have now. I would just paint the door a midtone blue/green shade and keep the body and trim colors as they are currently. Maybe bulk up the plantings on the side and front beds using pink, lavender and white. Lovely home!
  • makaloco
    9 years ago

It's beautiful. I agree with sackingj ... no need for shingles.

• retroearth
    9 years ago

Your house is so cute! I've never seen a corner door before. It looks like they took a plan for a Dutch Colonial and lopped off 1/3 of it. It's such a mish-mash of styles I think you can do whatever you want to it. The tan and white is blah. It will look great with some fun Victorian colors.

• User
    9 years ago

It's adorable.

• PRO
    Steven Johnson Architect PLLC
    9 years ago
    It is the Queen-anne style, which is a version of Victorian or craftsman. The Dutch roof is just an eclectic twist on the Queenanne style.
  • Cynthia Sooy Belcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is front facing photo. Thank you so much for all the thoughtful responses.
  • lucidos
    9 years ago

I'm seeing something like this on the second floor windows.

• victorianbungalowranch
    8 years ago

I'm wondering if it is a simple side entrance Folk Victorian that got remodeled around 1915 or so into the then more fashionable Dutch Colonial and filled in the entrance porch. It is very unusual and I like it just the way it is, and would not change the windows. The bay windows look like they were replaced already.

Were you thinking of going with vinyl? The siding looks pretty good as far as I can tell. I do prefer original wood siding on old houses, and done right, a quality paint job can last quite a long time. See Bob Yapp's blog for details on why not to use vinyl and how to paint a house so it lasts.