Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
23meghan

How long to Rough In?

23meghan
9 years ago

I'm driving my builder nuts asking him questions ... So I'll ask you knowledgable people. Approximately how long to rough in ( HVAC, electric, plumbing) 3,200 home?

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• jdez
    9 years ago

Where are you at now in the process, or do you mean how long does it take once they start?

• Brenna Pearce
    9 years ago
    I should clarify, how long does it take to actually do the roughing in? This coming week we will be putting in Windows, roofing, finishing punch out.
  • jdez
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our house, much smaller than yours at about 2300 sq ft, with no plumbing on the second floor, took three days rough in plumbing for a crew of four, one week of rough in electrical for one clown and two days for rough in HVAC with two peeps. Hope that helps.

Oops, Hubs corrected me. Plumbers took two full days for rough in, not three.

• Brenna Pearce
    9 years ago
    That does help!! Thanks, let's hope I don't get any clowns LOL
  • User
    9 years ago

Good question. I would like to know the answe as well. We are at similar stages.

• prj2015
    9 years ago

Construction began the middle of January on our 1800 sq ft. house. There has been some weather delays. Plumbing, electrical, HVAC has been completed. Insulation was completed this week and sheet rock begins next week. We are hoping for May completion.

• A Lleux
    9 years ago

We are building a 4789 sq ft (3138 living) home. After black in was complete, we had the plumber, electrician, and HVAC guy starting all the same week. We tried to stagger them (we are owner builders), but since people don't show up when they say, they all showed up the same day! Haha. It was a madhouse. Here are the best details I have from our build:

It took electricians (2-3 guys at a time) about 9-10 days. The home is pretty heavily wired. Also that included putting in 77 can lights. That included the outdoor stuff, pulling all the wire and the breaker panel installed. That also included trenching for the permanent power and running that conduit, 170 ft.

Plumbing top out took about 5-6 days with a crew of 2-3 guys. That was installing tankless water heater, setting 2 tub/shower combos, another run, walk in shower, 8 sinks (one involved busting out concrete and moving the pipe from rough in since they were way off on the drain pipe), and running gas lines with 5 gas drops. That also included excavation and hooking up the main water line to the meter.

HVAC took about 2 days and they also put all of our vent holes in the roof for bathroom fans, venthood, and the dryer vent through the side wall. That included setting all of their equipment in the attic (part that duct work runs into) and running all duct work through the house. They ended up staggering amongst themselves once they were all there on the same day.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Prj2015

My new build is just about at the same point as yours. 1700 sq ft plus screened in porch off dining area. Started framing mid Jan. Electrical was finished yesterday, HVAC and plumbing are in and the insulation is supposed to start today. Our builder said completion would be end of June, but my husband had a "talk" with him about the delays, we closed Oct 6, 2014 and were told possibly done by March, maybe April. We are hoping maybe the completion will be more the end of May or early June. Ah well, I can dream:/

• Brenna Pearce
    9 years ago
    Looks great! Looks like we are on the same pace! We started mid January also, the winter here killed us! Finishing all roughins today. Inspections tomorrow. Tyvek this weekend, and then insulation starting Monday.if the crew is big enough, hopefully we can start drywalling at the end of the week!!