Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiejay

NEW to New Build - A/C Option Input Needed

katiejay
9 years ago

I've been lurking around this board for a few weeks and have gotten some really great ideas - in fact, my head is positively spinning. My DH and I are working out contract details right now on a new construction home in a new master planned development and we are total NEWBIES to this process. Trying hard to educate ourselves and ask TONS of questions so avoid being suckered with all the options/upgrades. We've already eliminated quite a few items from the "mortgage payment" that we will opt to pay cash for at a later date (deck, mud room cabinetry, laundry room cabinetry etc, and probably A/C.)

While I've looked at a few helpful threads re: the central A/C options, here's our current dilemma and I believe one of the last "structural" items to be drawn into the contract. Our A/C options are 1) prewire $350 2) prewire + line set $1000 or 3) whole hog $5100. I'm waiting on specifics on each of these. (Oddly, specifics on brands, sizes, and exact items included have not been laid out for us yet on this topic. They simply want us to go down an option pricing checklist and ID what we want....but how do we know when we don't have details??)

I've talked extensively to an HVAC contractor about these options. He can install the "highest end" condenser (Trane or Lennox) + do the line set for $3800. Condenser only would be about $3500. Adding the interior coil if it's not there already would be another $500-600. So, $4400 max from him...plus perhaps $350 for the builder's prewire and we're still a few hundred ahead of the $5100 game. With just this limited info, am I missing anything? Is it better for the builder to do the line set for any reason rather than after the fact? (We will have an unfinished basement, so I assume the lines could just as easily be installed later.) So, I'm leaning toward having the builder only do the prewire and hiring out everything else later. Unless option (2) includes a coil...then we may be money ahead on that one. Lack of details is not helping my decision process! Hopefully they are soon to come and I will update here.

Thanks all. Probably lots more posts from me to come!

Comments (15)

• katiejay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ok, the only additional detail I could obtain was that the $1,000 option ("prewire + line set") includes the interior coil. Seems like this may be the way to go versus the piecemeal approach of $350 wiring + $300 line set + "$500-$600" coil = $1,250 (last two are per outside contractor)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Try posting over on the HVAC forum. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/hvac

• Brian 's
    9 years ago

You normally want all hvac equipment to match, and match should be in ARI directory. The high end condensers will never pay up. Ductwork should be design for load.

I don't know if I would part the equipment. But just so You know - lineset 3/8 5/8 x25 is only $80.

• Mini Soda
    9 years ago

You're asking for trouble trying to do this later ad hoc. Unless you live an a cool climate where AC is optional, I would go with the builder on this one.

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

You need to develop a detailed specification (brands, model numbers, sizes etc) with your builder and the HVAC sub before you commit to anything , lest you end up with junk. The coil no the air handler needs to be matched to the condenser, you can't separate these items in modern systems. If they don't want to work with you leave it out for now, it's usually a pretty easy aftermarket installation. Have you spec'd the brand and model of furnace you're getting? If not you'd better think about it.

• katiejay
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I haven't been able to obtain info (yet) on the condenser the builder would use, but in theory, if I did get the exact size/brand/etc, then we could install the condenser later and have all HVAC equipment match, no? (assuming builder handles wiring, coil, and line set)

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that if you split the work between two providers if anything doesn't work it will always be the other guy's fault. Life is much simpler when you have one point of responsibility.

If it were me, if the builder will install acceptable equipment, I'd let him do it. If not I'd have someone else install everything later. For <$1K difference I''d let the builder's guy do it so you will presumably have the GC on your side if there are issues with the sub. There's no great reason the HVAC guy shouldn't be willing to give you Trane vs Goodman at an appropriate price differential.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

A/C is no 'mix and match' Whatever brand you purchase, it should be installed by a certified dealer that will file the warranty with the factory.

It is absolutely foolish to do it 'later' or some of it 'later'. How can you afford to build a home, if you can't afford the A/C ? (this is assuming you need A/C in your climate).

• katiejay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whether or not it is "foolish" to piecemeal the project is why I'm asking questions.

We've heard plenty of stories of folks who install it after the fact, once they have the cash to do so, (and often save a bundle) after all the more immediate cash needs are addressed (e.g. landscaping). It's only somewhat of a cost issue, because if we can get a better deal at a later date, then great. It's also a "don't want to finance it" issue. The cost goes up significantly when interest is tacked on. The house will also be significantly more energy efficient than our current house, so we have some questions as to just how unbearably hot it may (or may not) get. As you can see, it's not a total slam dunk either way. Hearing that the "prewire + line set" option done by the builder, and followed up with installation by a "certified dealer" (of course) of whatever appropriate condenser unit may be unwise is helpful. Why would the unit's warranty not be filed by the tradesman?

On a related note, just got word that the builder's chosen unit is a Rheem 13 SEER. I will go do my own research here shortly, but any thoughts on this brand etc would be appreciated.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

You need to know the amperage of the condenser and the length of the run to determine the gauge of the wire. Same for the diameter of the liquid / suction copper for a particular A/C unit. Lastly, the evaporator will have to installed in the plenum, and you will need a drain for the condensate.

• Brian 's
    9 years ago

Sorry,

I did not meant to offend you. 13SEER is pretty much the bottom of the line (assuming this is "Rheem classic series"). Matching package barely dealer cost $2k total including the lineset.

My issue would be 13SEER (13.5) does not include two stage or ecm blower. For $5100 you should be able to nearly replace all provided equipment .

• katiejay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No offense taken, Brian S. Trying to educate myself. Some of the verbiage is way over my head, but for $5100 I just want to ensure it's a reasonable decision. We'll have forced air heat, so I'm not sure why the existing ductwork wouldn't be sufficient. Regardless, that will not be changed after the fact.

It sounds like the takeaway is either 1) Go whole hog and get it done for us for $5100 and end up with a relatively low end system- perhaps without a blower or 2) Have the builder do *nothing* and approach the problem after the fact, including getting it wired appropriately for whatever system is chosen. I.e. forego the builder's "prewire" option as well. And hope we come out equal to or less than $5100 and with relatively little headache.

• nycefarm
    9 years ago

I would cut out landscape before I would cut out HVAC...

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

X2 on nycefarm. and x3 x4 & x5.

builder doesn't do lineset. hvac company does
    lineset. ahu, coil or furnace, coil depending on
    what type system & all ductwork is done long
    before condensing unit is placed. condenser
    comes at end of build.

builder will accept low bid on hvac system. probably
    has a hvac contractor he works with.
    for something that effects the comfort of every day
    live & the chance to get it right to start with...
    take a set of plans & get several bids on your
    own.
    hire your own contractor, get load calcs,
    duct sizing & design. pay the extra to not
    have the lowest efficiency allowed by code
    equipment.

low efficiency equipment will cost you extra
    every month for each month you live in the home.

efficiency costs are upfront, but savings are
    for the life of the upgrade.

ask lots of questions.

best of luck.

• katiejay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great input, everyone. I've been back in contact with an outside HVAC contractor. He's been extremely helpful and not irritated at all with my questions. He mentioned sizing the unit based on our "Manual J" rating (an indicator to me that he knows his stuff, as I've seen quite a few HVAC threads where contractors refuse to do the calculation), also seconded the differences in line sets depending on unit chosen. Said Rheem is a quality brand, but he never recommends less than 16 SEER. He did recommend having the builder do the wiring for a cleaner job, so that's our final decision. We opted for the prewire only. We'll hire out everything else. Much thanks for all the feedback from more knowledgeable folks than me.

If HVAC could come before landscaping....it probably would! But we're obligated to get the backyard done in the first planting season, and we chose a LARGE lot, so $$$. Priorities, ya know. We're happy to swelter for a season if we're not breathing down our neighbors' necks.