Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisajbro

Can't seem to finish living room - Would love suggestions please!

lisajbro
9 years ago

Hi! I need some advice on my living room. Struggling with how to make it feel pulled together and cozy. Not sure what to put above couch in terms of size/scale as well as other accessories. Our house is a 70's colonial and my style tends to be transitional and very casual. I am terrible at accessorizing!

I took pictures from the many different angles of the room so you can get a feel. Entrance to room is from foyer and dining room. A couple of things that are not my favorite but need to stay are is the built-in cabinet which hides TV (can't justify expense to replace right now and know I could improve on the randomly placed items :) and clock (family keepsake and no where else to put it) so trying to make that work.

Any suggestions appreciated - thank you!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

Fireplaces · More Info

I think a Linear Electric Fireplace would go beautifully. They hang on the wall for easy installation or can be recessed into the wall. Heat is optional and they come with a remote!

• barrowp
    9 years ago

This is easy cause you have a good start. Pull the sofa and end tables away from the wall a bit. Add a console table behind sofa and art above. Add a small table between the two chairs. The ottoman is beautiful but I agree it doesn't belong and coffee table will help you pull the room together. As for the cabinet, the problem is the color, which is too creamy for the other tones in the room. Are you open to painting?

• PRO
    NEWLook Finishes by Crystal
    9 years ago

Great idea leelee! At first glance the top piece of art looked like a part of one of mine, 'Heaven-ly Hope-- really--had to do a double take. I would definitely bring in some color with an art piece as budget allows, or a print/giclee. If you choose art, that may be a good muse for color accents. Like the round mirror!
    Also, some color on the walls(not too bright) still neutral but color--like grey green/grey blue(it may already be--just can't tell from the photo) so furniture will not fade into wall color. You have some wonderful neutral furniture. Add some fun throw pillows for pops of color. The lamps are-ho-hum. If not something valuable to you the way they are--paint them! You can even spray paint. You can be brave here with color--they are accessories. -- new shades with twine? A sofa table behind the sofa to bring the couch forward would give a cozier feel if space allows, and you could add a tall modern vase with some kind of silvery, copper, gold metallics or lamps on the table. Bright yellows faded blues/ grays and pops of copper like in the art above--Whatever you do, make sure it is colors you love. Also, yes, that ottoman looks large. If the cushion can be taken off easily, would be okay, I think it is the height more than the size.

• lisajbro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! A few additional pieces of information - we tried the console idea behind the couch but problem became the entry into the dining room which is just to the left - with the furniture pulled forward it blocked the entryway flow :(.

Re: Ottoman - per Crystals thought, I'm gonna try to put shorter legs on it to see if that helps. I have two boys (one with special needs) who are quite accident prone so having something round and cushy where they like to run around helps (there is also jumping from couches and chairs which unfortunately makes a coffee table tricky). The walls are a pale blue grey (Benjamin Moore Wish).

I really like that first piece of artwork - leelee can you send a link to it? what size should I be looking at? would you frame it (if so, what finish?) Couch is roughly 91 inches long. If you can't tell, I tend to be neutral girl so I probably need more color to shake things up :). I have propped up so many things above that couch and nothing has looked right. Not sure how big/how many pieces would look best.

Cabinet - I totally agree with the color not being right! I haven't had the heart to paint it because the finish is just so beautiful. I am contemplating possibly trying to sell it and replace it with something else to hold TV. However, if I do go ahead and paint, what color would you suggest?

Thanks again all!!

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    9 years ago

A full wall mural perhaps? This is an idea of what one could look like, please see our profile for examples of ones that we have done.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

While you indicated that you just painted, I don't feel the blue/gray is doing anything to help the situation. Perhaps if you changed the paint to a creamy white with yellow undertones you wouldn't have to do anything to the TV cabinet, which is quite lovely. The first painting is nice, with the warmer tones and pops of color, and it has the creamy background. I would get it in a very large size--40-50" on the longest side, and have it in a floater frame. There is something about gallery-wrapped canvas that just looks unfinished to me.

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago

I would then get varying shades of red to orange for accents, with maybe one or two yellow items--not many.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the ottoman, but it is just a tad too tall. Do the legs unscrew?

As for the built-in, how about painting it a color in the ottoman fabric?

• lisajbro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx again for all the feedback!

JudyG - the ottoman legs do unscrew and my hubby is good with a saw so I think I'll have him chop them down a bit (there is a design in them which would lend nicely to a cut). Here's a pic of the ottoman fabric: It does have a some of that creamy color from the cabinet in it - maybe I need to pull in that color into the room more with pillows or something?

Nancy - it's been a few years since the room was painted and I am definitely more comfortable painting walls than furniture so a repaint is an idea to consider. A long time ago the room was more of a creamy yellow which made that cabinet blend in as opposed to stick out! :)

• Lila
    9 years ago

I think you might want to just eliminate the legs. The ottoman really needs to be a lot lower.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

Hi, right now most of your furniture is lined up square. I think the TV unit is great. I do not particularly like to see the TV in my face & this way it is not in the face. Kudos to you. Try angling your sofa to match the same line as the angle of the TV cabinet. I would rather see unmatched side tables and/or table lamps.

If the sofa needs to be placed how you now have it, angle the chairs more toward the sofa. I'm trying to get away from the rigidity of the right angles. Check Art.com, Ikea or Great Big Canvas. Your art should be about 6-8 inches above the sofa and be about 3/4 the length of the sofa. Move the ottoman between the two chairs with a tray on it to serve as an end table. See if you can shop your house for a different sized table for one side of the sofa.

Your cute dog looks like he/she is waiting for you to turn on the TV. Purchase some soft storage cubes to use as added seating but to place in front of the sofa as a coffee table. Add a knit throw with some color in it to drape over the side of the sofa.

• PRO
    Laqfoil Ltd.
    9 years ago

You might try just matching the baseboards and trim to the cabinet, perhaps add crown moulding in the same colour if you want a more traditional formal look. To get it really right, it looks like it might be more than just one colour - perhaps a glaze over paint - I don't want to say exactly what based on pictures, you might want to take a door off the cabinet and take it in to an upscale paint store to get it just right.

• ashtonchic
    9 years ago

I think having a neutral room is so soothing! What would you think of painting the room a soft blue to match the blue in the ottoman. I would use the colors of the ottoman for pillows on the couch and chairs. Lowering the ottoman would be good. Also some drapes on the window for a softening effect. With paint and a few pillows your LR will sing(quietly). Here are a couple of rooms with your ottoman's colors.

Traditional Living Room · More Info

Coastal Living | Davis Island | Interior Design · More Info

• ashtonchic
    9 years ago

Here is some artwork that would go with your decor.

Rolling Hills II Giclee Print by T. J. Bridge at Art.com · More Info

Giclee print of Large abstract painting white and by LolaDonoghue · More Info

• dclostboy
    9 years ago

Welcome to the land of beige...we need color! The monotone is not contributing the coziness you desire.

• leelee
    9 years ago

Hi Lisa, the art I posted was from myhabit and etsy.com On etsy look under large original art.

these are from my habit which is an online sale related to Amazon, I think. All of these are My Habit. Usually under $200. I've never purchased one so I have no idea of the quality but they look interesting and are fairly big. Go on line and subscribe to look at their daily deals (not all art)

• leelee
    9 years ago

I like your wall color. Add a live

ficus or palm near the window.

• er612
    9 years ago

What are the room dimensions? I definitely think you need curtains. A rug would also help define the space. Ex.

• dclostboy
    9 years ago

How about considering that beautiful blue from the ottoman fabric as wall color and the deep cocoa as accent colors.

• lisajbro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions and renewing my desire to finish this room! I'll hit the stores this week and try a few things to see if I can get this done!!

• er612
    9 years ago

I created some options for you. Bottom right pic is your current wall color. Curtains are from JCPenney and pillows from Crate & Barrel (striped) and Pottery Barn (solids). You might consider changing the lampshades to something lighter, especially if you don't change the wall color.

• Theresa Holt
    9 years ago
    just unscrew the legs. you may need them down the road.
  • Theresa Holt
    9 years ago
    Target have all their home decor on sale this week.
  • karielen
    9 years ago

I would consider more of a wheat color paint color for the walls. I think you could use some darker colors to ground the space a bit more in your art, your lampshades and your pillows and other decor.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would suggest you get a few more flowering or green, leafy potted plants to display in the bay window and to bring life, color, and air into the room. So that the plants can be seen a bit more, separate the two chairs just a little -- maybe by one or two feet. I would suggest you put the round mirror above the sofa and flank it with framed maps that show the ocean and/or lakes in blue. Then, use this same blue in throw pillows, throws, and other small accessories. A print area rug that has some of this blue will help unify the room. To the right of the TV cabinet you might place a small, rectangular or square accent table and have a rectangular mirror, displayed vertically, above it. A table with a bottom shelf would be very nice so that you could have two or three books on one shelf and a green, leafy plant on the other. If you like different textures, you might place the potted plants inside decorative baskets. This basically is a very pretty room, and your furniture is lovely.