Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfjr10

Monarch caterpillar eating potato vine...

Casara
9 years ago

I was just curious if any one else has ever had this happen! I have been told by nurseries that they can not survive on anything other than milkweed. Well this one was in his last stage of growth & due to things that have come up, my garden was quickly devoured & I don't have the funds to buy adult plants but "he" ate about 5-6 leaves off the potato vine & now is sitting in the chrysalis!

Comments (19)

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    9 years ago

Are you sure it's a potato vine? There are milkweed vines that support monarchs. Cynanchum laeve and Matelea obliqua are two I know about.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

The venation, from what I can see, doesn't look like potato vine.

• Casara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Maybe thats what it is, I have it throughout my yard & was told it was an invasive potato vine! I've also not heard of a milkweed vine, I will look into those some more, if that's what they are I will stop pulling them out!

9 years ago

Just because it is milkweed, don't think it cannot be invasive. Many people with Cynanchum laeve will tell you how it well take over a yard if you allow it.

• Casara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I have several, mostly passion, vines for the caterpillars, so I've learned the difficulties of keeping vines in control! I know this stuff is pretty tuff too, trying to pull it out! Comparing the potato vine with the other 2, it looks way different from any of the potato vines I could find, I've also never had it flower so if it does hopefully that will help determine exactly which one I have! I am desperate for food for them, until my milkweed seeds have grown into plants, for now this stuff will hang out on my fence!

9 years ago

This old post mentions some more milkweed vines. You might find something that looks like the leaves on yours. Larry wrote that Morrenia odorata is found in FL so maybe start there.

Has anyone heard of Climbing Milkweeds?

• Casara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a great thread, there are a lot more species out there! I'm so glad I asked about this and thanks so much for all the help!

• larry_gene
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The entire list still appears in the FAQs under the title

"Monarch hostplants: Includes all milkweed and common names"

and is still somewhat readable, in the original list, a new line starts at every capital "A" that stands for the genus Asclepias.

That FAQ comment button did not function for me, no way to add an edited more readable list,

even though other FAQs have been commented on recently.

Thanks to KC for reviving a portion of it.

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

I have some Cynanchum laeve that still comes back, even though it was years ago that I planted it. It hasn't taken over my garden, though, fortunately. I leave it for just the reason your post shows.

Beautiful caterpillar!

• dragonflydee
    9 years ago

I will try it if I can get some,because I have to cope

With wayward vine pop up emergences anyway. I have

Large "hog wire" rings that are tall enough to support the

Climbing of vines.They are round "cages",and easy to move

Abt each season.

Because I have so much bull thistle (blooming now) I have early

Nectar for butterflies resident or moving thru.

Butterflies love it(so do those big black/yellow bees!).

DD

• Casara
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for all the info! I have not figured out what species it is yet but I did see a female Monarch fluttering around this plant, I decided to look for any eggs & sure enough she deposited a few eggs, I just wanted to share this!

• angelimperfect36
    9 years ago

Would love to know this kind of plant, maybe a milkweed vine plant?

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

I would guess it to be Matelea gonocarpa, since the leaves are rounded. Most Cynanchum laeve leaves are longer, more pointed and narrow, but the leaves nearest the main stem can be somewhat rounded, too, so it's hard to say.

Sherry

• Tom
    9 years ago

I have a milkweed vine that I believe is called a white vine (Sarcostemma clausum). It is rampant in my garden now. I have never seen a monarch use it for eggs. I do have a bunch of monarchs around and I don't know what they are using for larval food, since I have many tropical milkweed plants growing in different places.

When I break off a piece of this vine the white milkweed comes out. I wonder if this is the same with the other vines that you guys are discussing?

I live in Central Florida zone 9B. I think the white vine has come up from southern Florida and is doing well here because of the very mild weather we have had the past four or five years. Casara, it would be helpful to know where you live.

• Casara
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I still have not made any progress in determining the species, I live in Apopka (or central) FL, I'm not sure how to make that show by my name but it is in my profile! The plant I posted with the monarch egg was ripped off the fence, I believe my dog wandered through & hooked on it & pulled it off, so I never did get to see the eggs hatch. While I am still collecting this plant all over my yard & re planting in their own space I came across another little caterpillar on one, I haven't had the chance to look this little guy up but figured I'd go ahead & share!

• MissSherry
    8 years ago

It's a yellow-striped army worm, Casara. It'll make a plain moth.

I'm sorry you lost the egg!

Sherry

• Casara
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Miss Sherry! I didn't think he was anything fancy but didn't know if he was another kind that only feeds on a specific plant too, which would help narrow this one down but I am just thankful to have free food for the caterpillars! I have also started collecting other "weed" type plants that I see the butterflies & bees on all the time, they are getting their own garden space as well, I have learned that there's a good number of these weeds that are beneficial for the insects & nature knows best!

• HU-28389796
    last year

I grow tropical milkweed for monarchs in large fabric pots on my deck here in southern Illinois. The caterpillars LOVE them and they have beautiful blooms too. This year, my yukon gold potatoes ended up next to the milkweed. To my great surprise, I have watched the many caterpillars travel back and forth between the plants, devouring BOTH. I guess nobody told them they are not supposed to like potato plants!

Sponsored