Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhosta

Name this plant

jhosta
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

New groth is peachy pink,this comes up each year.grows to about 3 feet many stems.The dried stems are from last year.The leaves turn variegated green and white

Comments (15)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Any pictures from last year or descriptions of any flowers?

FataMorgana

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no flowers that I remember it is just the color at first then grows to bush

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

This looks to be a herbaceous or "green" plant - that means no woody stems and not a "bush" per se. Wait....

Oh, I think I'm just seeing the sprouts you are talking about. I have been looking at the leaves on the ground which look like a campanula and not making sense of 3' stems to match those. I suspect this is an example of a bad angle for a photo. A side picture would serve us much better than the "bird's eye view." The sprouts are dead center. Ok. Compare to Fallopia japonica, Japanese Knotweed. If a match, pull up now. I use the word "invasive" very sparingly but this is one I would apply that term to.

FataMorgana

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will take more pictures as the plant grows out of the ground.Only gets,about, 3 feet tall. the sprouts are only about 1 inch,out of the ground,
    right now.

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pay no attention to anything green in the picture.Those are weeds hahaha
    It is the 2 little colored sprouts in the center of the picture. the picture with the dead branches is of the plant stems from last year.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I agree with Fata - maybe variegated JK. I do not hesitate to call this invasive, in fact I would call it the most hated plant in my corner of the universe.

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you are looking at the green leaves not the little spikes of color
    coming out in the center. there is only one plant.It has been growing there for several years.The leaves are more white than green when the plant is grown. I will take more pictures as it grows. I tend to buy things at the end of the season with no labels.Thanks for your help.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

No, I am looking at the two fat pinkish buds, not the green leaves. JK shoots

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went out and took another picture.It has grown a couple of inches in 2 days.You can see the stem is variegated with the peach/pink tips. I will keep posting pictures as it grow.
    I looked up the JK and it is not what the plant looks like when grown.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Agreed - the dreaded Japanese Knotweed. If this is all there is, get rid of it now before it spreads more.

FataMorgana

• jhosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to the site and yes it is the varigated .I love it and it has only come in one spot one plant for 3-4 years. Thanks for letting me know what it is. I only saw the green leaves, not the variegated.thanks for your help.j

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Highly invasive. Dig down deep to get any rhizomes before it gets out of control.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

compare with fallopia artists pallete ...

mine is in full dark shade.. and though it rambles a bit.. it is not a problem ...

i dont have time to research it.. but i didnt think all Ks are invasive ... and it might have to do with winter.. and die back ... in our cold north ...

ken

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

My Western NY State cold and snow doesn't halt it and I have some of the largest snowfall totals in the US. I have seen large thickets of the stuff. I don't see it as often as some of the other invasive species like swallow wort, but where I do see it spreads pretty aggressively. It scores 97.94 out of 100 for invasiveness in NY State: http://www.nyis.info/user_uploads/19e83_Fallopia.japonica-sachalinensis.NYS.pdf

No, the Frozen North does not stop it.

FataMorgana