Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Have you purchased an ultra fancy blender?

Emily H
9 years ago

We've seen the commercials, we've all got friends that swear by the brand they chose and spend their mornings sipping green smoothies. Have you broken down and bought a fancy blender like a Vitamix or a Blendtec?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Vita-Mix Professional Series 500 Brushed Stainless Finish Blender · More Info

Yes.
No.
Other - tell us below

Comments (43)

• makaloco
    9 years ago

No. I have a basic simple blender and have used it maybe 4-5 times in eight years.

• Sally Pascale
    9 years ago

Nope. Have a fabulous old Waring that I inherited from my mother in law. Works great. Vintage looking. I don't even make smoothies. Margaritas on the other hand...!

• User
    9 years ago
    Vita mix.
  • Ann Danielson
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

nope, used mine maybe 5 times in 15 years and finally took it to Goodwill.

• alicejean
    9 years ago
    Use my Ninja nearly everyday. I've had a VitaMix but prefer the Ninja.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago

never used since i got an immersion blender.

• bbarick
    9 years ago

I was given a Ninja blender as a gift...it is fabulous! I use it mostly for bread crumbs, almond butter and pesto, once in awhile a smoothie, so it isn't worked hard but it still performs much better than the KitchenAid blender I used to have.

• OliviaZoey Reef
    9 years ago

I'm not an "appliance" person but I think a VitaMix should be at the top of every gift registry. It is the best--I've used it daily for the past 18 months. Best kitchen purchase ever!

• Craig Merrow
    9 years ago

I still use my old (must be over 25 years old by now) Hamilton blender...haven't killed it yet!

• Average Jo
    9 years ago

I didn't buy a fancy blender for smoothies but I did treat myself at Christmas to my first ever food processor, which has a blend function. I bought it chiefly for slicing (being a fan of dauphinoise potatoes) and for the citrus press. Quite a lot of research went into finding that combination of tools at a price I could afford. Now the dough hook has me thinking about homemade bread rolls again... to go with a blended soup, perhaps.

• whocareswhoiam
    9 years ago

Vitamix is worth every penny I spent...its a chefs workhorse quality machine. I use it almost daily for smoothies, soups, sauces, almond butter, and sorbet desserts. Prior, I owned a Kitchen Aid that not only was NOT capable of doing all this but it was challenging to clean and did not hold the seal. Before that, an even cheaper blender lasted about 3 years but was only used for making margaritas!

• beverlynn
    9 years ago

Nope, still have my Hamilton blender. I don't use it often, so it still works just fine!

• keyblueprints
    9 years ago

I purchased a Waring a few years ago. It died after 3 uses and customer service was horrible. I then purchased a Vitamix, made in America, phenomenal reputation and customer service. I highly recommend one to have for years of great cooking.

• fnebuiders
    9 years ago

I've had a Vitamix for about 6 years & love it! We use it A LOT: smoothies, soups, blender batter pancakes (google it…), and, with a 'dry' blend container, have ground grain. I've read that the grains lose quality when ground in a blender because they get too hot…so cool them in the freezer before grinding and they don't get as hot!

• kcren
    9 years ago

I'm happy with my Magic Bullet. :)

• Becky Harris
    9 years ago

I was just struggling to make a smoothie on my not-fancy blender this a.m. and wondering if I should invest in a Vitamix. In fact, my friends and I were just discussing this a few days ago as well. I would probably make a lot more smoothies if it weren't such a pain, and I'd be able to put real greens in them instead of green juice.

• apanza
    9 years ago

Purchased a Ninja last week. It's on it's way!

• empresslockness
    9 years ago

I was given a Vitamix as a gift about 4 years ago. I used to use a Black and Decker blender and I really liked it. Then I received my Vitamix. This thing blends stuff in no time at all, and I can even make hot soup right in it. Since receiving my Vitamix my life has only improved. :)

• jannie
    9 years ago

I don't have the need for the volume that a fancy blender puts out. I have a KitchenAid Immersion Hand Blender with attachments that does everything I need in terms of making drinks plus it is incredibly flexible for doing multiple meal prep tasks. I use it daily.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    9 years ago

I did not buy "an ultra fancy blender"; I bought a blender that met my needs, a Vitamix.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    9 years ago

Love the Ninja, and at only $100, it's a great deal.

• backsplashideas
    9 years ago

A gift, but I love it!

• Melynda
    9 years ago
    Five years ago my husband ordered a BlendTek - and I was furious he spent so much money on a blender!

I have humbly apologized many times since then...

We use it at least once a day, it powers through whatever I need it to do (with a 3 HP motor I could strap the darn thing to a boat and motor across the lake!), and never leaves frozen strawberry lumps in our smoothies. My sons all want their own as they leave home (sorry, you guys get the K-Mart special until you are paying for your own).

Best kitchen investment, after our cast iron, we have ever made.
  • jdsb2
    9 years ago

Love my Vitamix. We use it daily (often multiple times a day) and have had it for years with no issues. One of my best kitchen purchases. After going through several less expensive blenders I decided to splurge and it was well worth it.

• Gloria Valencia
    9 years ago
    I have a vita mix and I love it, I 'be been having it for 10 years and still works perfectly fine.
  • jenny
    9 years ago
    I used to have to blend wood peices all the time for my research in university, and I consulted many people on the heavy duty scientific blenders and the sort. and I ultimately learned that there's almost no difference between any of them and ended up buying a magic bullet.
  • lettersfromtheshore
    9 years ago

I make smoothies almost everyday and I wish I had a really good blender. I get frozen lumps of strawberry left in my smoothie. My blender does not like ice cubes either. I used to use it to make breadcrumbs but the food processor is better for that job. I make mac and cheese on the stove top and I use my blender to make the sauce. I tried to make a vanilla frappuccino the other other day; it tasted great but there was a lot of ice left in the bottom of the blender. I guess hp is the key.

• Emily
    9 years ago
    I have a Vitamix and it works great
  • coldus301
    9 years ago
    The "ultra fancy" blender is way easier and faster to use, but if you don't blend much stuff, you shouldn't buy one
  • ilovecontemporary
    9 years ago
    I have gone through three magic bullets with their chip plastic gears! I use a blender once or twice a day and now I'm on the $150 blender which is also on its way out after only a year. A vitamix it will be for me!
  • Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    I have a ninja, great for chopping up ice for smoothies ,but not much else. The square corners collect everything. I use my Cuisinart food processor for everything else but soup. For soup it's the stove and immersion blender. Maybe the Vitamix could replace all this stuff but the cost is prohibitive.
  • mamadubbs
    8 years ago

For blended drinks I have a bar blender. No idea what brand - its a fairly simple chrome base with only 2 settings. I love it! For smoothies I have a Nutribullet which is awesome as well.

• albemech
    8 years ago

got the Oster 4093 Classic, vintage look with a simple on/off switch.

• frigon
    8 years ago
    I just got a Vitamix for my birthday and I love it!
  • PRO
    Nandina Home & Design
    8 years ago

High-end blenders have their purpose, but they aren't needed in all (or even most) cases.

• 1domesticdiva
    8 years ago

Bought myself a Vitamix a few years ago and absolutely love it. Was well worth the wait to purchase a high quality blender I'll use for years to come.

• 2bclutterfree
    8 years ago

Invested in a Vitamix 5200 several years ago and use it almost daily, primarily for smoothies and soups but also nut butters, spreads, and black bean brownies (surprisingly ooey-gooey delicious!). Busted it once (long story!) and found customer service at Vitamix to be outstanding -- they quickly replaced it at no charge! Highly recommend!

• makawao96768
    8 years ago

I had been researching green smoothie blenders and decided on a Vitamix because of the capabilities of breaking down raw vegetables. Trouble was, I had a hard time spending the money. Fortunately, my next door neighbor had a garage sale and lo and behold he had a Vitamix for sale! And only wanted $100 for it! It is a 5000 and an older model but it runs and works great! I ordered some tampers for it and he had a brand new recipe book that had come with it and I'm in business! I can say without a doubt that when this one breathes its last, I will be investing in a new Vitamix for sure!

• Cheryl Lee
    8 years ago

You can't beat a Vitamix!

• butterflycrest
    8 years ago

Yes and love it! Expensive, but well worth it, as I use my Vitamix every single day.

• PRO
    DaVill Blinds
    8 years ago
    Used it once so money well spent ;-)
  • Alena Lohan
    5 years ago

Well, ultra fancy or not, if you spent good amount on right product , it will worth it.