Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

How did the Saturday night storm affect you?

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

We had small hail for at least 15 minutes. It shredded the leaves and flowers on nearly everything. The only thing left in the veggie garden left standing are the onions. Luckily, no damage to the house that I can tell, but there could be wind damage on the roof. Haven't had that checked. We lost power for about 12 hours too.

(Edited to change title because I just saw that San Antonio got it too.)

Comments (7)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1.5 inches of rain in a very short time and wind knocked down several of the bud-heavy tall bearded irises that were just beginning to open. But fortunately no hail, power outages, or other obvious damage around our neighborhood (far north side of Dallas). Imagine the lightning and wind were keeping the utility folks busy for your power to be out for 12 hours. Hope your roof is ok.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think your wind was worse. Our power always goes out when there is a big storm. Power lines go through a river authority area and there are lots of overgrown trees. I'm sure our roof is fine. New last year and a 30 year, so unless the wind lifted some shingles, it's fine. My irises were knocked down too and all the bloom knocked off except the very center. Looks like iris skeleton.

• User
    9 years ago

NW Austin (Anderson Mill/183 area) - Heavy rain (need to buy a rain gauge). No hail at my house but a couple of streets away got hail. So happy for the rain, but sorry your garden received so much damage. Hopefully your plants pop back stronger.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

we had hail, very very intense horizontal rainfall and supposedly the wind was over 75 mph
    results 8 10 gallon nandinas in a fairly protected place were separated from their pots, and pots and plants were distributed in an area about 50 feet in diameter 20 smaller plants were just dumped out of pots and the plants and soil were separated (clean roots)
    live oak trees didn't lose any limbs (thank goodness) but lots of leaves were ripped off
    tomato plants, within a foot of the house were bent double and many limbs lost
    many trees were uprooted, large limbs broken off and some places you couldn't tell driveways from lawns because there were so many shredded leaves everywhere
    our house was completed in sept, fortunately we didn't get enough hail to need a new roof but shingles may have been lifted somebody is supposed to come check that out this week
    wind blew rain through a twelve foot wide screened porch and was hitting a glass door so hard i thought for sure it would break all plants on the porch were moved around a lot and dumped out of pots we didn't lose power but most people in our area did and in some places it's still out...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Just before sunset, the storm started. I saw 100 year old oaks with their canopies swirling around, then the hard rain started! We have an odd leak around the skylight that we thought that we had patched successfully, until Saturday evening.

Only small hails hit here in my part of Azle. The wind scared me half to death!

• Shan G.
    9 years ago

We were driving home when it hit, so we ended up taking cover in Fry's. The power went out there (S. Arlington) but not at our house. Neighborhood doesn't look worse for wear. The wind knocked down some of my tall purple bearded irises and I had to restake the peas. The other plants and veggies were fine.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

lots of leaves torn off trees, flooding in LaPorte, tornado in High Island, damage to beachfront homes at Jamaica beach on the west end of the island, few branches broken off the trees. Hold on to your hats, next round starts tomorrow. Happy spring!

Tally Ho!