Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexamorrie

Where do you put the seam when your counter is longer than the slab?

9 years ago

One of my counters is longer than the slab. This counter is not in my main work area. It does have a large sink and it's where the toaster and coffee maker are located.

The counter is 150" long and the slab (Zodiaq Coarse Carrara) is 63” x 120” x 3cm. This is a faux marble look with veins which won't match up imperceptible.

I had assumed the most inconspicuous spot would be where the sink is but the man measuring the counters said it wasn't a good idea. With a large sink, he said you want some integrity/strength of the material since it will be holding up the sink - better to place it elsewhere.

Where would you put it? The company will be calling me to discuss where to place the seam.

Comments (12)

• 9 years ago

There are always several ways to do things. Sometimes you have to know things to realize one option is available.

If you listen to episode 12 on this site it talks about dealing with joints.

http://www.proconstructionguide.com/pod/

http://store.omnicubed.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OMNI3&Category_Code=SHS

I believe Joe Corlett is on this forum often.

alexamorrie thanked dan1888
  • 9 years ago

Thanks Dan, so the Original Sink Hole Saver is used to support the counters in transit and installation.

And thanks for the link to Joe Corlett"s Installing Granite Countertops pod cast - that is fascinating to listen too - clearly he knows what he is talking about. I see he talks about supporting that section - but it has to be done with the right material - to avoid a failing rod. Stainless or fiberglass rods and epoxy and silicone - or the more modern sink hole saver clamp. He doesn't address whether or not to seam there - but I realize from what he does say, my cabinet is also adding support to the stone.

The guy who measured told me clearly that he doesn't cut or install - he just measures so he may not know what they do. He did take a lot of time measuring and taking down all kinds of details, looking underneath and checking my supports on the island where the over hang will be. I asked him about where the seam would be and he told me that they people in the shop will be calling me before the cut the slabs.

• 9 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC, Oh, I was listening to your podcast when you posted. Thank you so much.

I much prefer it to be where the sink is located - less obvious. And the guy who measured stated very honestly that he has nothing to do with cutting or installing - so he probably didn't know the correct answer. The company will call me before they cut to go over everything, and this will be the person to ask where and why and how. Hercules Universal Sink Harness or a Sink Strap to the cabinets - yes, I've seen that mentioned here before.

Thanks Joseph - you've been so helpful - you responded to another of my questions to and I appreciated the professional advice.

• 9 years ago

My single quartz seam runs through the center of my sink. When it was proposed to me, I was against the idea. I have come to think it's the best location for my kitchen. It means the seam is very short. Half of it is hidden by my faucet. My counters are dark gray and maybe twice a year I hit the seam with a black Sharpie and poof! Gone!!

alexamorrie thanked Bunny
  • 9 years ago

Thanks Linelle I too think it's the best place and now I know that it's doable I feel more comfortable with this plan when I discuss it with the installers.

• 9 years ago

I just installed LG Viatera Rococo in my new kitchen. I requested the seam at the middle of the sink. My fabricator said they do it all of the time. He also said they used a joining system that put the two pieces together under pressure. It made for a seamless joint. I wish I could remember what it was called.

My cousin, who is a GC and not involved in this project advised me that the sink was a perfectly acceptable place. Joseph Corlett and I went a round or two about the fabrication. We all agreed that the sink is a good place for a joint. Because it's a smaller distance, it's an especially good place if you have a lot of movement in your pattern.

I don't know if Joseph will agree, but my fabricator said anyone that still uses steel rods and not fiberglass rods was lazy and wasn't using best practices. I thought it was an interesting comment from a professional.

Here is the seam up close. You have to look for it to find it. The casual observer will not see it. I'm really happy with my installation.

alexamorrie thanked homechef59
  • PRO
    9 years ago

"I don't know if Joseph will agree, but my fabricator said anyone that still uses steel rods and not fiberglass rods was lazy and wasn't using best practices. I thought it was an interesting comment from a professional."

I agree completely. Improper rodding can have catastrophic effects on countertops.

alexamorrie thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    9 years ago

The tool homechef59 is trying to recall is a Gorilla Grip. The latest incantation allows it to be clamped to each side of small sink rails, pulling them as tight as possible while flushing simultaneously.

alexamorrie thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 9 years ago

One thought - if your seam isn't the best, then putting it where the sink is will highlight it b/c people will look more at the sink than they would at an empty piece of countertop. I find that my eyes are drawn to where there's "action", so I would be more likely to notice the seam at the sink (ditto for a cooktop cutout). If you get a great seam and it is hidden well, then it's not an issue - but there are no guarantees.

alexamorrie thanked Buehl
  • 9 years ago

buehl, that's an interesting observation.

I think I would prefer a small seam in front of the sink as opposed to a long seam across the top from front to backsplash.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting