Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r2d2indy

Porch-- columns yes or no ?

Can you take a look and let me know if columns will look good or no on this porch and style of the home? We are confused, the architect had them in original drawings.

They are for pure aesthetic purpose only..

Thanks

Comments (14)

• Amber
    9 years ago

Also not a pro... Yes.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Personally I do not think that porch posts or columns would add anything to the look of this house and in fact look kind of odd. Again just my .02 cents.....

• cpartist
    9 years ago

Not a pro but a professional artist and I have to agree. Right now it looks like it's floating. Take a look at prairie style houses to give you an idea. Your house has the look of a modern day prairie home.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I don't know... I like it as is. Very cool house! Where would you place the columns? If you go to the end (corners) of the roof, then one column will be against the wall. If you bring it in, you cut off some of the openess of the porch. I think it's clear where the front door is. Here's a dodgy mockup:

I'm far from a pro so I'm hoping Renovator, Palimpsest, Live-wire, etc. chime in. Maybe x-post on the decorating forum.

• hancockheather
    9 years ago

You could also post in Landscaping. I think you could go no columns and do some type of tall landscape something on the end of the porch to define the edge, but that's just a thought and I'm really not a pro. They would have lots of ideas and probably have opinions about the columns.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Not a pro…I say no. No columns keeps it in line with all the other roofs you've got going there. Really cool house!

• hancockheather
    9 years ago

Is the bottom of the house (blue) going to be stone? If so you could do some really beautiful stone columns. That would swing me heavily in favor of columns :).

My only concern with the columns would be the symmetry of it. It looks like if you center them on the overhang so there are equal offsets on either side it might be off center on the door. Or to center it on the door it might be asymmetrical on the overhang. Not sure how to make that look right without a mockup.

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The

base or water table is going to be brick. I will post the drawings as the architect visualized it for further clarification.

Thank you all for your likes and comments really appreciate it.

• amberm145
    9 years ago

I was going to say no to the columns. But where is the water expected to go off that roof? I imagine you'll have gutters. Will the downspout run down the face of the wall? Do you maybe want something to hide that?

• hancockheather
    9 years ago

The asymmetry is fine I think - the overhang to the left matches your other roof overhangs, and the right "dies into" the wall which is fine.

I think your decision then is based on what you want the feel of the porch to be. No columns = some would say open and modern, some would say undefined or floating. Columns = some would say it gives the porch presence and coziness, some would say too enclosed with all 4 columns. I think preferences would generally fall along traditional/classic (columns) vs contemporary/modern (no columns). What's the style you are going for?

• Stanley Ridge
    9 years ago

I think the columns give purpose to the spaces between the door and windows at the entry. Without them it feels like the windows should have been joined to the door.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I vote no columns. I think it would take away from all the clean lines of the great looking house!

• Honu3421
    9 years ago

I will be the voice of dissent. I like the architect's front elevation. I assume the column detail will be in keeping with the clean lines of the rest of the house. You have a beautiful house. I would trust the architect on this one. It looks like he's done a great job so far.

r2d2indy r2d2indy thanked Honu3421