Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahclarke5

Help! Front deck/porch color

ahclarke5
8 years ago

Can't use white except door color. Considering blue-gray, natural wood color (need suggestion on which wood color!) or red again. Could paint railing one color and floor another color. Mail box gray, lamp post previous red color. Trying to make my entrance come alive. Thank you for your help.

Comments (14)

• TanCalGal
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Front door bright green photo 1

Railing, porch floor, and mailbox post gray the same as house. Can chimney be painted gray too? Lamp post painted black to repeat window frames.

Buy some nice black numbers for the gray mailbox and letters too, as needed (no white paint). photo 2

Cloud Residence · More Info

13th avenue residence · More Info

• Jay
    8 years ago
    Door pale yello
  • ahclarke5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. Unfortunately, I am limited by my homeowners association to use brown, gray, blue, red, muted green, or wood tones. I am considering a cedar color.

No bright green or yellow. My windows are actually trimmed gray, not black. Black is not approved either.

Yes the chimney needs to be painted gray.

What can I do with these colors?

• derk5
    8 years ago

You have a lovely contemporary home in a wooded setting. Consider keeping the fence and deck in a natural cedar color to brighten the exterior. Can the front door be stripped and stained in a cedar tone as well? If not, consider a burnt red tone for the door.

ahclarke5 thanked derk5
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    Charcoal gray, darker than body of house would look stunning.
    ahclarke5 thanked kimberlysc
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    No red (dated) a gray blue door or turquoise would be very nice.
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    Not your style of home but this give you an idea.
  • kimberlysc
    8 years ago
    I looked at your pics again, railing would look good the color of your windows or shade darker.
  • claudette2402
    8 years ago

I agree with @derk5 and painting the chimney gray with the following additions. I would try to get the door, deck, railing and lamp post to a consistent stained color that is a red cedar toned. The open stair steps work with your contemporay home but I'm seeing the construction boards supporting the steps. I would add a solid facing piece to the front of the step supports to give a more finished look. Beyond this, which may need to be phased for budget reasons, I would replace/upgrade the lighting fixtures to a consistent integrated contemporary look. Using a bronze toned metal on the lighting would tie into the deck and door stain. Next I would make modifications to the landscape. You have a beautiful red Japanese maple that is partially hidden by two shrubs. This tree should be a focal point. The green hedge to the right of the deck extends the horizontal line of the railing but adds little positive impact. I would replace the hedge with more variegated plants in height, texture and color preferably using plants that are native to your area and do not require constant pruning.

• ahclarke5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like the idea of adding a solid facing piece to the steps. Have to get approval, no one else has done this.

My mailbox is painted gray. Can I leave it gray with a red stained lamp post?

I love your suggestions with the landscaping, but that will have to wait until next year.

I can replace the light fixtures. The light on the lamp post is relatively new and the association has not approved anything different. I can change the other 2 lights on the house to a more contemporary look with bronze.

• claudette2402
    8 years ago

I think it is fine to leave the mailbox gray because it is quite a distance from the porch. I see the two matching gray lights on the house, but I see what I thought was a third light that is a cream colored on the porch overhang just above the left edge of the hedge. If it is not a light but needs to stay, perhaps you can paint it gray to match the house and make it less visible.

• claudette2402
    8 years ago

Attached is a link to a light fixture my husband and I used for 3 locations on our house. This link is an led version which was not available when we bought ours. Something like this is a clean contempoary look, and with no visible bulb it will not compete or conflict with your post light.

http://progresslighting.com/products.aspx?product=P5675-20/30K#sthash.NK1NAsGT

ahclarke5 thanked claudette2402
  • elenigoritsa
    8 years ago
    r