Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njleegal

Should a keep the Uba Tuba green counter or go for white counter top?

njleegal
8 years ago

Should I keep the Uba Tuba green granite counter or get a new light counter top. I want Carrara Marble or Quartz Master Carrara (it looks just like Carrara and does not stain) Any other counter top ideas are welcomed. I will be changing the handles also. Any ideas or thought are greatly appreciated.

I also need a backsplash. Many suggestions ???? I was going to go with Subway tile. Perhaps carrara also. help

Comments (35)

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

If it is in the budget (I guess it is) go with a marble look quartz. Use the same look in porcelain subway tiles in a horizontal running bond pattern. Two or three strips of one inch mosaic tiles through the mid portion of the subways in a bit of a color would really set it off. Avoid the location of the plugs & light switch panels for the mosaic placement.

njleegal thanked sandradclark
  • njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Anyone have any opinions on the counter tops ????? Any suggestions ?

• njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am not planning on changing the floor. Everything to me seems too dark the way it is now. I was going to get a light backsplash to match the counter.

• njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Anyone for advice on the countertop???
  • printesa
    8 years ago

I like the white counter better...it might be because I am biased...I have the Uba Tuba, but with dark cabinets and I am fed up with them. If you want something with more color, here is an idea

Hayes Valley Remodel · More Info

njleegal thanked printesa
  • User
    8 years ago

Marble or marbleized quartz will not look good. Sorry, I think Cancork explained it well.

• Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    I prefer the Uba Tuba to the marble sample. I think it looks better with your cabinet color. If you don't care for it though there are many other granites out there that would pick up the tones of your wood. Take a drawer or door to the granite yard and you will immediately see the difference. Sample of your floor would be good to take as well if possible.
  • Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    For instance I like how in this kitchen the wood tone is in the granite . It might be a good option if you desire a lighter granite. http://houzz.com/discussions/1053470
  • carygreenleaf
    8 years ago

Lose the Uba Tuba! I think that your floor color looks very pretty and I wouldn't change it! I suggest that you consider two options: Either of the two countertops that you've already suggested and for backsplash, I would try to pick up the color in the cabinets by using a marble mosaic that includes white, gray, and apricot. Floor and Decor has one that I've used called Soho Ellipse Light Mix Marble Mosaic. (Sku: 931100224) $14.99 per sq.ft. You can order it and they'll ship it to you, if you don't have a store in your area. (Picture below.)

Soho Ellipse Light Mix Mosaic

Another option, which would look great with your floors is to use a Carrera counter and paint the cabinets white or gray. Classic white subway tile, or a marble linear mosaic, or a marble herringbone mosaic can add interest to your backsplash without adding color. You may have great options locally, but I suggest that you look at the options available at www.Floorand Decor.com. They offer tile that can give you the same look as Ann Sacks, etc., but at a fraction of the price. I don't work for them, I'm just a fan! Good luck!

njleegal thanked carygreenleaf
  • Patti Gagan
    8 years ago
    I love Quartz countertops. If you follow cancork's rule of three, which I like, then your white countertop might work if you paint your cabinets white. I love your floor, as I am all about taupe-y greige. Have you considered a Quartz countertop in a similar hue?
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

If you like quartz counters and marble, might I suggest looking at the Calcatta instead. The veining varies, of course, but it has some warm tones that are missing in the Carerra. It's my new fav and I don't even like marble that much!

Stanwich Road · More Info

njleegal thanked columbia93
  • Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    I agree columbia93. The warm tones are needed.
  • njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love carygreenleaf suggestion. Lose the ubatuba and find something with a blending of tile with light apricot. I will try to find something but in subway tile. Thanks !!! I hate that Ubatuba. I'm sick of looking at it.

• User
    8 years ago
    I like the green, it's colorful and different! I wouldn't drag it down with subway tiles. I think a pretty glass/mosaic look would be nice.
  • njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I actually don't like the cabinets but I'm stuck with them.

• njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's what it might look like. Yes or No.

• njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was hoping to get a look similar to this if I changed the counter and added a back splash. Plus add white knobs. Any thoughts ??? Am I going down the wrong road here ???

• PRO
    Tile Plus, Inc.
    8 years ago

Hello ngleegal

I think the kitchens pictures just above are very attainable.

Keep in mind that the samples you brought home were tiles and not slabs and have a sharp, unrefined edge. So the people above might not be thinking with that.

Add in the fact that you are currently lacking a backsplash, so of course it doesn't look as nice as the kitchens above.

Seeing as your floors are a dark brown, your cabinets are a light brown and your counter will be a light gray, I would suggest opting for a more earthy tone in your backsplash. It would help blend the colors. The grout you choose can also greatly affect the overall color too.

njleegal thanked Tile Plus, Inc.
  • Mary Nigro
    8 years ago
    looks like you are after a modern farmhouse look. If you hate the Uba Tuba change it. I would do bronze pulls however. I am not crazy about the white. Maybe because I have been there done that.
    njleegal thanked Mary Nigro
  • cpaul1
    8 years ago

Yes, you need to update those counter tops. You need bigger hardware on the cabinets. And you need a back splash.

• kellyzdesigning
    8 years ago
    Like the uba green granite. White is not good with the cabinet color. Backsplash maybe in a pebble rock with hints of the green, but bring in some other oyster colors.
  • kellyzdesigning
    8 years ago
    The right backsplash will make this come together. Why change the hardware?
  • njleegal
    Original Author
    8 years ago

pebble rock backsplash is too heavy a look. Can't do that.

• Linda Samuels
    8 years ago

I think your uubatuba provides a nice contrast with your cabinetry; if you really can't stand it, I'd still recommend going dark. I agree about changing the hardware; If you decide to keep the current countertops, you can purchase ubatuba pulls; just google them. If you do go dark on your countertops, I'd recommend light or even metallic for your back splash.

• columbia93
    8 years ago

If you can get a sample of the Calcatta, try it out beside the Carrera. It will blend better with all of the wood and give your space a softer look. With all of that light coming in - lucky you - the Carrera might be too harsh. If you decide on the Calcatta, I'd go with a beige subway tile similar to the picture and, with the Carrera, white. Keep it simple.

I like your current knobs - I actually have some that are very similar. I wouldn't go white - they can get grimy. Also, your cabinetry has a more formal feel and white knobs won't make it look country. They'll just look cheap.

You can do 3 things with those lonely little cabinets in the corner. 1) you can remove them and float shelves like the one picture (which, BTW, I had posted to another site a couple of days ago for someone wanting an open country kitchen, so I love the look), 2) remove the doors and paint the interior white or beige, depending on your countertop solution and 3) change both solid doors to glass. Additionally, you have that like wood piece at the corner. Even if you don't do any of the options above, consider removing that and making it a little display for pitchers or vases.

njleegal thanked columbia93
  • PRO
    Precision-Tops, LLC
    5 years ago

How did it turn out??? Would love to see pics of what you decided on!!

• njleegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I painted cabinets and got carrara marble counter tops.
  • njleegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like it better
  • Laura Mac
    5 years ago

Wow, 1000% better! Great job!

• njleegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don’t have any maintenance problems with marble. I clean it with Windex. Works great
  • PRO
    Joni Spear Interior Design
    3 years ago

Have you considered soap stone?

• Mary Nigro
    3 years ago

Very Nice! Thanks for posting the update!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I like light counters...and you can use the same slab material for the backsplash. I have done it twice and love the solid look: no grout lines. Your counter fabricator will do it all.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

The counters and backsplash in both cases are granite.