Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinas15

Help! Need help in rearranging or decorating narrow nyc living room/di

tinas15
8 years ago
Help! I need to revamp and/or re-arrange narrow living room space -am attaching pictures the only thing that can't go is the coffee table (I know it's too big for the space but my husband loves it) and obviously the TV , i'm planning on doing a bit of a gallery wall behind the TV console area am thinking wall art and maybe family photos I'm just trying to make more space and make them more aesthetically pleasing!if anyone has any ideas how to please let me know soon! Thanks!!

Comments (28)

• W
    8 years ago

Backless seating options are very helpful in narrow spaces because they don't block your view from one side of the room to the other.

Berkeley, CA · More Info

Do you want to stick with the same color scheme and style you have now? I think you can work around a lot of your existing pieces. But the sectional is going to give you the most limitations. I'd start by replacing that with a more flexible seating arrangement like the image above.

• PRO
    Lori Falk Interior Design
    8 years ago

I think a gallery wall would be great but I would do it over the sideboard. Get rid of the sconce shelves and let the gallery wall fall down each side of the sideboard or float into the mirror. Difficult from the photos to advise on furniture. I would lower and move the mirror over the armless chair down and two the right. Create a grouping with the chair, table and mirror. You mentioned everything could change except sofa table and TV. If that is true it might be time to evaluate life today and what life looks like in 5 and 10 years. I know storage is important from the pieces but life changes. Have fun and enjoy the process.

tinas15 thanked Lori Falk Interior Design
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your advice & I am not afraid to hear brutal honesty about what has to go-and yes I know the furniture is too big and dark! thanks Lefty47 for that! I also love the gallery advice from Lori :) what do you think about using the sideboard for my Tv and eliminating the dark low tv console stand? I would have to move the sideboard into living area-what do you think? also in terms of gallery wall -I was thinking of building one around the wall surrounding the tv-using wall art, prints and a few family photos. Also if I move the sideboard into the living area I would move side table and ottomon out of that area...any ideas as to what I should move into the space left behind by the sideboard.(which I will be moving) Let me know your thoughts great people! :) ? thanks a million. and oh, I also have a 2 year old who toddles around and could probably benefit from more space :)

• PRO
    Lori Falk Interior Design
    8 years ago

My only concern about using the sideboard is the height. Most don't want to look up that high to watch TV in such a short distance. It's ok if you are sitting back farther. Try putting something solid under the TV to raise to see if the height works before you start moving. I would leave the sideboard where located w/gallery. You don't want a gallery wall around the TV to much happening. Best advice purge create more space with less. Do you need all the seating in the living space? If yes than scale down. With a toddler I would get rid of the hard edge coffee table (I know your husband loves it) but a smaller ottoman w/ tray or oval shape would be better. Obviously there are options.

• acm
    8 years ago

You haven't really said what your goals are in "revamping" this space -- more storage, more walking space, change in color scheme, just a fresh feel, or what? Hard to give advice when everybody's just throwing a dart at the first thing that occurs to them...

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Really, this is pretty nice. I would definitely agree on side board being too high for TV (also, too massive, etc.) You need lighter, smaller pieces in general. First suggestion would be to get rid of the two chairs in LR. their companion tables and the shelfy things both above sectional and near DR area. Two large canvas above long side of sectional on wall One that matches existing one in some way (size for sure) and lower them both a bit.

You have a lot of family photos. Maybe, rather than doing a gallery wall you could have most of them reframed in one (or two or more) large frames . to reduce the "busy-ness" of multiple frames or mats, I'd mount them on a single mat with a wide mat border. e.g.

• columbia93
    8 years ago

Don't put the pics around the TV, too distracting. As you know, you have too much furniture - dark furniture and not much vertical storage. In small NYC apts, you need to look at going UP, not out. I think the chairs don't work - one looks squished into the corner and the other looks like the sad last minute thought! While a sectional doesn't allow for a lot of movement, you aren't looking to move it around, just looking to maximize seating without a huge visual impact. That said, the right sectional would be great. You could even pull it away from the back wall enough to accommodate that sofa table, as it stops the eye where it is now. The little end table could then be placed at this end of the sofa.

You might want to look for bookcase/cabinets that match the TV stand to place on either side of it - it would be make the TV area more substantial as well as giving you a lot of storage. Are you okay with letting go of the knick-knack cabinets and candle shelves on the wall. I think your room is too narrow to have those on the wall extending into the room. Another option would be to make the wall behind the sofa the gallery wall - art, pictures, etc. - and move the wall storage to above the sideboard. Take the pictures from the top of the radiator thing under the window and move them to the sideboard or sofa table. Keeping that shelf open will keep the eye from going there, also making the room look longer. Try to get the eye to go toward the adjacent walls.

Does your dining table break down? How often do you use it and how many seats do you typically use. Maybe you can remove a leaf or push it against a wall? You have a lot of long rectangular pieces, including this table, and that just makes the room look even longer and more narrow. If you are considering a new table, think round, or at least oval. Can you move the sideboard over to the mirrored wall? (Is it a mirror wall?) Is it possible to center the table with the sideboard or is there a door that is making you push the sideboard toward the living area? If you can't move the sideboard toward where you are taking the picture, can you move the table down and put the china cabinet toward that wall we can't see?

Lighting - need more. How attached are you to the track lighting? They now make more attractive track lighting with really cool pendants, if this is what you like. It actually would look cool in your room except with the track going parallel to the window and the sofa wall.

It's tough not knowing where doorways, entries, etc. are. I can't tell where you have room so I hope I don't confuse you too much with my terrible direction giving!

• tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I ❤️you Houzz people! Thanks so much for all of your advice I probably will incorporate bits and pieces of the advice you all gave to make my living/dining area more livable! Believe it or not this really looks a lot better than it used to-I already removed a big dark armoire that was where the sideboard is-sideboard with more towards the living room! The issue is when I moved into my husband's place he already had a few pieces that were large and dark so when we added we went w same color etc! A mistake ! -first --Lori F , your advice is great! I will incorporate many of your ideas as I'm rearranging I like your idea of where to position the gallery wall and also that I should leave the side door where it is :) and, less is more I love your ideas as well and I know I should declutter as much as possible!
    And @columbia 93: thanks for taking the time to give me lots of advice and your opinion I would also use your great advice is well-you were so very descriptive which helped out a lot! Your advice about the sideboard cabinet is great however, I have nowhere else to put it there's no wall long enough to accommodate it I do have a mirrored wall but it has an indentation and it's just not long enough I would love to put it there that would be great but it's just not going to fit! --I've also already removed the leaf from the table I did that almost immediatelyafter I took my picture because I realized from even looking at the pictures that the table is just too long
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    .cont'---93-your ideas for decluttering are very good as well it's not enough I get right now to purchase the furniture looking like to rearrange and pieces !
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    sorry that my last line of post may not make sense I'm having trouble posting the rest of my information and/or questions probably because in chasing my toddler around while I'm doing this LOL I'll try and post more later but thanks so much again everyone
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    But one of my lingering questions is what to do with the wall behind the TV area I'm going to do a gallery over the sideboard might frame some prints some art prints and put on that tv wall let me know if anyone has any ideas out there thanks! :)
  • potchiemagoodleberry
    8 years ago

consider fabric roman shades to help control the light and add some softness...then consider flipping the sofa to the opposite wall, so the ceiling light doesn't shine right onto the tv screen. if you are planning to invest in new furniture, go with a slightly lighter upholstery and don't get a "set". buy a sofa and a pair of comfy chairs instead or maybe even an apartment scaled L-shape sectional and a chair. this space needs color, so bring in an accent color with the roman shades, toss pillows, accessories and wall art . no table cloth until dinner time ;) and add in more table/floor lamps to warm up and cozy the space. be sure all art and accessories are large in scale...large art makes small walls feel larger and small acessories look like clutter. if you do a gallery with photos, make sure all the frames are identical (i'd go for black pre-matted frames) and print all your photos in black and white and all the same size. hang them in a geometric arrangement...like a straight vertical line or a grid for maximum effect. this is a great idea, because the mismatching photo frames you have throughout seem to be cluttering the space a bit (sorry). try to aim for clean lines in a smallish space to help it feel larger and more open. keep us posted and have some fun with it! :)

• Wendy Hamilton
    8 years ago

I like it with a few small changes - the chair on the other side of the sofa looks forced into the spot. I would eliminate it and mount the tv on the wall and change out the tv stand. I would also put the other chair at an angle on the far side of the tv to open up the space. Also lose the end table next to the chair.

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

For above the TV ... It's hard to tell from the angle of the pix, but it looks like the print you have there is off center to the TV? Could you take a pix of the TV & wall head on for us?

• tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks again guys and lessismore
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ...don't know what's going on but it cut off the rest of my message anyway....See above the pic of the wall-head on and the placement of everything I already took two sconces to the right of the mirror down!
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago

Thinking :-)

• columbia93
    8 years ago

I lived in NYC for 3 years so I know a little about those narrow apartments. I was afraid you would get back to me with the bad news that the walls were too short. Poor you. And I didn't mean to sound so harsh about the furniture - you said something about my saying to declutter so I reread my post - geez, sorry. That's the unfortunate thing about these forums, it sometimes comes out different than we mean. You've got lovely things, it's just a fight to find a different way to mix it so the room doesn't seem too dark or heavy or unbalanced. For the TV area, I still worry that prints might be too distracting. Would you consider hanging a wall unit in the same color as the TV stand? You could then move that cool print over the chair next to the TV and still be able to add some tchotchkes to that corner. Is that a mirror over the little chair or art? It has looked like both depending on the picture. You know, it's neutral enough it might work for over the TV. Try swapping the poster and that mirror/art piece and see how that works for you. If it's a mirror, it might be too high on the wall but ya never know.

• er612
    8 years ago

Reduce the amount of furniture in your space. Console table isn't too tall to use as a TV stand IMO but if it's an issue for you, I would sell the TV stand and console table in exchange for a larger TV stand. I would decide on furniture arrangement before addressing wall decor. This space has so much potential.

• er612
    8 years ago

Can you post the room dimensions?

• tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks again you guys! And lessismore: here is a more straight on picture of the wall/TV situation thanks again for your advice! ;)
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love the Dietrich print (love old movie/travel posters in general). So I'd be inclined to move the mirror to over your sideboard in the dining area and incorporate it into the "gallery" you plan to have there. In its place, if you move the chair and table, I think a open shelf case would give some balance to the TV area. Your TV stand would work better if it were slightly larger than the screen. This is a very rough rendering of how you could set this space up. I know it would be difficult to get a wider angle photo so it could be more realistic, but something like this (doesn't have to be white) might work here?

• tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks again so much less is more! Amazing rendering
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ...is amazing
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Love the tv console & all of your ideas about wall!
  • tinas15
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for taking the time lessismore ! ;)
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago

:-) Hope some of this works for you.