Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Best bathroom fan - automatic turn on/off?

steph2000
8 years ago

We are in the beginning stages of figuring out a bathroom remodel. It's classic project creep as the bathroom has gotten disgusting just as we gutted the kitchen (what's that about, anyway?!?).

Anywho, we are going to be doing a bunch of electrical and drywall work soon and it just makes sense to deal with the bathroom at the same time. We have a tiny standard bathroom (you know, the old small ranch bathroom that just fits a tub/shower, small vanity and a toilet all on one wall with just enough room to stand in the room in front of the mirror dimensions). I'd like to get a fan that will turn on and off automatically and detect humidity. Our current fan is on a timer, but it is not being religiously turned on and too often, people are only using the buttons for 5 or 10 minutes when they do use it. I'm pretty sure it should stay on longer than that...but not up to being the bathroom fan police. Thus, the idea that it would be great if it was automatic.

I'm open to having a light on it. Or even heat. Right now, the fan is centered in the middle of the small room, right under the only place to stand basically. I guess it makes sense to leave it that way and not have to mess around with the ventilation in the attic? Otherwise, I might prefer it in the actual tub/shower area.

Quiet seems appealing, though I get the point from those who want some fan noise so that they can allow some bathroom discretion for guests.

Any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

If you can't find an automatic one, know that our fan timer can be set for anything from 5 minutes to I think 90 minutes. We keep it set to 45 minutes, so when you enter the bathroom you press it on and that's it -- it stays on for 45 minutes and turns off by itself.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    8 years ago

I think there is an automatic switch that will sense humidity and turn the fan on.

• geoffrey_b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Timers

With Houzz, do you notice a lot of 'empty' responses? Not a link, not a model number, not a manufacturer - but rather 'I think' or 'I've seen'. Just fills the site with clutter.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

Panasonic has several models that would fit your criteria. Motion sensors, humidity sensors etc. Some are constant on that have variable speed and have built in countdown timers. Very quiet. Well worth the extra money.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

<i>With Houzz, do you notice a lot of 'empty' responses? Not a link, not a
    model number, not a manufacturer - but rather 'I think' or 'I've seen'.
    Just fills the site with clutter.</i>

I am certain this is directed at me and I feel like I need to defend myself. If I have not used or seen a product then I will not recommend it. However, it is possible that the OP did not know that sensor switches existed. If the OP feels that this is something they might want to look into, they have access to the internet and can google "automatic switch that senses humidity" as easily as any of the rest of us. And they can decide which one is appropriate for their particular situation.

If you don't like it, you can take your snark elsewhere.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

jerzeegirl, I wish you hadn't felt the need to defend yourself. There was nothing wrong with your post (or mine) - in fact, before I read your answer, I had no idea there was such a thing as an auto sensor fan. Frankly, that was more useful to me than a link to a site from which someone has purchased "stuff".

• Olychick
    8 years ago

You can also have the fan wired to the bathroom light, so when you flip on the light the fan goes on automatically. I suppose you could also wire it so the light and fan are on the timer, so the fan and light turn OFF automatically if someone is in the habit of forgetting to turn them off.

• numbersjunkie
    8 years ago

I've been considering this question for my powder room. Now we have 2 switches, and no one ever turns the fan on - maybe becasue the old one was so loud. But now that we have a new quiet fan (Panasonic), I debated outting it on the same switch as the light so it wouldn't get left on (can't hardly even hear it). But I'm leaning towards a sensor switch (Lutron version) because it allows you to set a timer so the fan stays on for a set amount of time after the person leaves - just in case its really needed!

8 years ago

Thanks, sjhockey. Of course, you are right - have to remember to just take a deep breath and recite "om mani padme hum". :-)

• jrb451
    8 years ago

Pardon my ignorance but for the in-line fans servicing multiple bathrooms, do all the bathrooms vent when the fan is switched on in any one of the bathrooms?

• User
    8 years ago

Jrb - yes all vent at the same time .

It's possible to install remote dampers , but it's quite complex and most contractors can't handle it especially at a price homeowner's feel like paying.

• jrb451
    8 years ago

Thank you. That's they way it appeared but I had to ask.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus