Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zachallen1985

We have had our house for sale for 6 months..why is it not selling

zachallen1985
8 years ago
Our house is 3 beds 2.5 baths 1550 sq ft with a one car garage. House is 4 years old located in New Town a new urbanism community in St. Charles Missoui. we have reduced the price twice and have little to know activity. any advice on having it sell. We have a realtor and this is our first experience with selling.

Comments (26)

• zachallen1985
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    It has a full unfinished basement as well
  • ispoildogs
    8 years ago

Are other houses in the neighborhood selling? If so, is your house priced competitively? Has your realtor asked viewers and other agents for feedback after they have toured your property? If not, perhaps he/she should to find out what people are thinking.

• zachallen1985
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the reply. yes the house is priced right at 204,900 and other houses are selling. All feed back has been positive. The only negative was one showing said they noticed a stain on the carpet in the 3rd bedroom.
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Is it a duplex? A shipping container home? Either way, it's Too non traditional for the South. A 1 car garage. No windows at all on that one side. And price. The price has to drop significantly below the comps to make it worth someone overlooking those incurable defects. Post the actual MLS.

• dirtgirl64
    8 years ago
    Dress up porch Add some potted plant to porch to look inviting, that might help get them to want to look inside
  • User
    8 years ago

The double front door is just wierd. Anyone vewing that from the exterior shot would assume the same thing I did about this being a duplex. Additionally, it cuts into the interior usable space because it limits furniture placement, which is already down to the minimum of a loveseat and chair. The public space is just too small for a 3 bedroom house. Replace one of those doors with a window ASAP to be able to create more seating and flow. The carpeted living room that you walk directly into from outside and that has no hard surface material at the entrance to protect that carpet would immediately have me pricing hardwood and deducting that from the asking price. All I can think about is how dirty that carpet must get from that.

The whole development seems like detached rowhouses, but the whole point of them being detatched is so you can have windows on 4 sides of the houses for air and light. Otherwise, the development might as well have been done as a rowhouse and eliminate that bit of nuisance yard. Put in some windows. It will make the interior more appealing.

The interior shots are too many of the same small living space and not enough of the rest of it. The colors are too bright and distracting for most. The bones of this house want to be contemporary, but that spirit isn't carried out through the home. The small colonial base molding is at odds with the no crown, and then there's the traditional kitchen thrust into the mix. it's all mxed up stylistically, and I'm not speaking of the furnishings.

The odd fenestration, space allocation, and overall style of the home will limit viewers. Repainting, and a window addition, or hardwoods, can only help so much. It is what it is. Only price can help in he long run.

• vp_78
    8 years ago
    I'd think about investing in some landscaping at this point. You also can hire a professional home stager that should be able to help you achieve more of a contemporary feel (or whatever buyers in your area are wanting).
  • kittnkaboodle
    8 years ago
    It's very odd looking, small and your neighbors are right on top of each other.
  • User
    8 years ago

A price reduction often creates appeal that overcomes buyer's objections to unchangeable features, such as size or architectural style. I would think that a reduction to the next search tier's top price would be in order rather than being the lowest in the next upper tier.

• User
    8 years ago

Price. It's always price. Put a $100 price on a 10x10 cabin in the woods miles from nowhere and you'll have folks lining up to bid. You have to reduce the price substantially in order to generate enthusiasm about a product that needs a hard sell.

• lorewren
    8 years ago

I agree adding a bit of greenery to the front is a positive step making it more inviting. How about hanging Kimberely Queen ferns. As the entrance is very very symmetrical place boxwood shrub arrangement in tall planters on the two platforms. Planters like this

If you want to invest a bit consider a modern horizontal railing same colour as the pergola.

Bon Chance

• Depo
    8 years ago
    I just looked at the listing photos and I wonder if your paint colors are turning people off? They are very taste specific. I think there are a number of buyers who want to move right in and not worry about painting every room first. That is something you can fix. Go with more neutral colors. You can not change the very odd architecture of this house, however, and that is your main culprit. It is strange that the only windows on the side of the house look to the neighbor who appears to be about five feet away, yet the other side has no windows at all. The front is confusing, as someone else pointed out and the two doors make no sense whatsoever. Good luck with this hard sell.
  • zachallen1985
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Added things to the porch. there is houses on both sides now. Houses are built on the property lines in New Town...this is not unusual.. A lot of houses in the neighborhood only have windows on the side yard that is theirs. We plan on painting the bathrooms soon.
  • Depo
    8 years ago
    That helps, looks more inviting!
  • PRO
    younis
    8 years ago

Its really very nice. Bu do not know why you are facing difficulties for selling this.
    If i live their, Then definitely i will buy this.

• jlo267
    8 years ago
    I'd lighten the color, to make the home appear to stand out, instead of fade back. Perhaps paint the outside walls a celery green, and the trim molding and the 'porch roof' a creamy light beige. Add two potted trees, on on each side of the front door to define it. Soften the look with a climbing vine-type of plant, against one wall.

House is actually charming!
  • jlo267
    8 years ago
    Oh, you might also consider staining the cement entry patio a creamy beige color.....
  • jlo267
    8 years ago
    I agree with the idea of changing one of the doors into a window, still rectangular, but definitely defined as a window. Does look like a duplex now...
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    Great area. I checked out display homes a few years ago. I thought that I would enjoy living there. Best of luck. I thought the St Louis area was enjoying a nice market for real estate sales lately.
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    What much are the HOAs? I am sure that you must be limited on any outside alterations without approval from a Board
  • stlouisgaltoo
    8 years ago
    This is in a "planned" community. Yep, repaint those bright walls. Love the grey neutral walls in the common areas.
  • vp_78
    8 years ago

Wow, looks much more inviting! Maybe also some boxwoods or hydrangeas along that long side yard? Just something to make people want to hang out there. But IMO it already looks more inviting! Best of luck to you!!!

• Lauren Getchell
    8 years ago
    You need some kind of hardwood flooring, maybe engineered. Get rid of that sad love seat and get one that doesn't sit on the floor. get rid of ottoman. Remove any personal pictures. Rmove large photo over couch and find one more colorful. Paint walls white, get rid of small shelves.
  • Lauren Getchell
    8 years ago
    I have more to say. Get rid of kids toys and remove shelf with clock. Get rid of black bookshelf in dining room and put a small buffet with a pretty tray. You want to make show people there will not be any storage issues.