Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

Propagating Echeverias from Seeds

bernardyjh
8 years ago

Hi all Echeverias Loving Folks, I thought it will be fun to post a pictorial log of mine to keep track of my seeds germinating journey.

This will be a good place for an open discussion to share our experiences and practices in sowing succulent seeds in general - not only specifically to the Echeveria species, since there were much discussions garnered on my Echeveria Lauii's post on the most ideal or optimal conditions for the highest success rates.

Based on my personal research prior to starting the seeds, I find that resources and information on germinating echeveria seeds are extremely limited. I've searched through the forum (obviously), library books, journals and consulted other members experiences, but mostly returned with sporadic conclusions, with varying results effects.

My guess on why this species is more difficult to cultivate from seeds and challenging for most growers from seeds in particular are due to:

1) Prescribing the optimal condition for sprout and growths

The biggest problems for which most amateur growers like me can face is killing the seedlings before it reaching maturity, or seeds would not sprout due to poorly prescribed conditions, ie lighting, soil, temperature and humidity.

Keeping in mind with the sheer varieties of echeverias hybrids and names available, each types requires very specified conditions for the seedlings in order to promote healthy growth.

2) Minute nature in scale of echeveria seeds

When you think in terms of the science of seeds propagation, the smaller the seeds the higher of quantity you need to produce in order to achieve a higher success rate. In this post, a fellow grower had explained he had a 0- 4% success rates out of a hundred for echeveria seeds, in particular the Lauii species.

3) Shelf Live of the seeds

As most experienced echeveria growers have learnt is that Echeveria only have the highest success when seeds sown fresh, which also means, the longer you wait to start the seeds, the lower sprout rate you get from your seeds. This pose an added obstacle, as Echeveria seeds are a rarity in stores or the chances of you purchasing expired seeds are high.

Compounded by the rare occurrence of breeds such as Lauii to flower and produce seeds, growing from basic seeds doesn't sound so basic anymore.

Nonetheless, I did my research and I'm starting my experiment to test 2 pots to test which method will be best to sprout the seeds by adjusting the light conditions:

1) Placed indirectly under a grow light - with about 10-13 hours a day of constant light.

2) Placed it under a table in living room with further screened sunlight from a shaded tree.

Tracy and Howard both experienced higher success rate with seeds under a controlled lighting source.

Which Ryan from this post, had a better result by stressing the seeds with a lower light range - under the table sprouts.

The following elements remain constant:

1) I bought my seeds from a ESTY seller from Australia, shelf life of the seeds are unknown. I might email the seller asking for specifics.

I started with about 20+ seeds, as you can see how small they are in a mini 1x1 inch satchel.

2) I started with 2 regular terra cotta pots, both washed with dish soap and rinsed thoroughly to prevent un-welcomed bacteria or fungus growth.

3) The mix I've used is a seed starter mix from repotme, using equal parts of coir, vermiculture and perlite.

I filled both pots until I have about 2 more inches to the top.

I then sift the soil into finer pieces 1/16 for the next 1 inch layer as a top soil - as how this journal had done by removing lumps or hard materials - also incorporating Ryan's method leaving the last 1 inch of the pot as an light overcast to force the seeds to sprout better.

This is the excerpt from the journal to better help you picture my methods to his logic:

Germinating Unusual or Unidentified Seeds

Propagating seeds in general

When a propagator is asked to germinate unidentified seed or seeds with unknown requirements, he does the best he can, having to guess at the best methods to use. Recently the writer was asked to germinateseeds of what may be Echeveria bicolor from Venezuela. The collector found the plants growing near orchids, mosses, and ferns at an elevation of about 5,000 feet on Mount Avila, five miles from Caracas in a rain forest area. With this bit of information and with over 25 years of experience in germinating Echeveria seeds, I made a good potting soil in a clay pot, and the top inch or so was screened to remove any lumps or hard materials. The planting medium was firmed and made level, then covered with a paper towel. Boiling water was poured over the surface and allowed to run through the drainage hole. The paper towel was used to keep the surface level and smooth. As soon as the soil had cooled, the seed was planted and barely covered with No. 4 sand, then the planted seed was drenched with a mist spray of water. The pot was covered with glass and kept warm at about 65 to 70’ F. Daily application of a mist spray of water was given.

Thus, the growing conditions were similar to those existing on the tropical mountain. The small seedlings began to show on the eighth day and many more appeared on the ninth day. Evidently this home method worked very well for germinating the very small seeds.

4) Placed paper towel on the top of the soil, and flushed it down with boiling water to level the top soil, moisten the mix as well as sterilize the soil from bacteria or other pests.

5) Additional step, I wait for the mix to relatively drain as much as it could, then microwaved both pots for an additional 3 minutes to kill whatever that might have survived the previous precaution. - read importance of sterilizing your soil for seeds

6) Remove the paper towels

7) Moment of truth, sowing the seeds - I used a dried paint brush to gently tickle the seeds from the packets into the brush and gently flick the brush on top of the mix.

8) Lastly, I sealed the pot with a layer of cling wrap to ensure more humidity and placed the entire pot into a zip loc bag.

9) Now all I can do it wait, and I will open up the bag to re-mist every 2 days to ensure the mix and seeds are moist.

I'm not worried temperature wise, as my room thermostat hovers around 75-80. And I'm also not using a seedling pad which Howard recommends, but I guess I will take this one step at a time and see how it goes.

I'll also be back posting weekly updates, to show my progress. I know this my chances are pretty slim and it might turn up to not propagate at all, but that's the fun part about learning and trial and error.

Additional resources:

http://www.xericworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5994

http://www.mesagarden.com/

All thoughts and comments, especially shared experiences are welcomed!

Cheers, Bernard

Comments (36)

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    8 years ago

Terrific job documenting your process, Bernard. I hope you have high germination rates for your E. Lauii seeds. You also did your homework as I suggested. This will help you in making informed decisions about your process. I also look forward to the conversation that this will ignite.

Tracy

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Tracy, I need to put my patience belt on. It's been almost 2 weeks now, and they have been no update by sight yet. There seem to be a lot of condensation on the cling wrap, I might just remove it tonight and keep it in the baggie.

The drop in temperature for the past week wasn't welcomed too, I hope the sudden change would only stunt the germinating process for a few days.

Will continue to update again if there are any movements.

Bernard

8 years ago

Sorry to hear that Bernard. I will tell you that I have had similar results when sowing such a small number of seed. What I started doing is sowing larger batches, such as 100 seed at a time. This is a bit more costly but if you consider the time and effort that you go through to sterilize the media and such, it makes it worth the while in the long run and get some return on your investment.

Then once you do have seedlings appear, keeping them alive is almost harder than germinating them. The fatality rate for seedlings can be high. I just discovered 3 contaminated echeveria seedlings on Friday night when I got home from work. They caught a damping disease because I had too many plants on my grow rack and not enough air circulation. These are only 9 months old. I've washed them, quarantined them, and treated them with Physan 20. I do not expect them to survive but I have to at least try. Don't they look terrible?

Tracy

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Tracy, I still hopeful as the weather gets warmed this week. But if there are no action after a month, do you suggest I chunk them into compost? I mean it's all part of the learning process.

If I discovered that, I would have been absolutely mortified! I'm so sorry to hear about your plants infections, I hope some sun can cure and rid of the fungus.

Your echeverias leaves actually looks quite huge! Do you by any chance know the sub-species?

8 years ago

I would say give it 5 weeks and still nothing I would compost it. That is being optimistic of course. You did learn a great deal so if nothing comes of the seed there is that.

So the plants might survive with terrible scarring. They aren't in the sun, rather on a covered porch, as they are sensitive to sun after being treated. This is my only quarantine option. Yes I was mortified to discover this. The subspecies I believe is E. gigantea thus their size. I have a few more even larger than this on display in my moon window.

Take care, Tracy

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Tracy, I set myself up a little to high before I even begun, so no expectations just learning experiences.

Yea, after the window period, I hope they recover in time with more sun.

Best - Bernard

• meparisi
    8 years ago

Nice to see this discussion on Echeveria sowing. Last Auguest I got 20 seeds of E lauii from Australia purchased on ebay and got no germination. The seeds may have been old. With seed of E agavoides, using the same technique I got some germination but the seedlings didn’t survive. I kept the seed in plastic bags and they probably needed fresh air. Right now I have seed pods, still on the plant of a cross I made of two forms of agavoides. As soon as the seeds look ripe I’ll sow them. I think having a larger quantity of fresh seed will make a difference. Also this time I’m going to keep the seed in the open air with just some window screen over it. The problem I have with open air sowing is with sciara flies which in my cool area (near San Francisco) are a problem.

Best, Mary

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Mary,

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with sowing E. Agavodies (could you post some pictures if you have them by any chance) and I'm sorry to hear the seedlings didn't survive the humidity. I really do think the baggie method is great popping the seeds out of the bad, but once you see established leaflets, then it's probably time to remove them from the bag. I was thinking if you are worried about gnats and files, maybe you can cover it with a layer of cheesecloth and rubber band it on the rim, this way it as a mini insect screen, it can also protect your seedlings from wind and extreme light too. (just a thought)

Steps to my failure:

I'm guessing we probably bought from the same seed seller in Australia, I believe he have multiple selling portals ie Etsy, Ebay.

I believe it was multiple reasons for the failure, one with you being on point, as the packing and shipping itself took a good 3 weeks - 1 month in order to save on shipping cost, it was sent via snail mail.

Two, quantity is a factor too, 20 odd + seeds are seriously too little. I was in touch with the seller and he mentioned that I should have started with one batch and experiment first before sowing another batch. But I was thinking to myself, even at 10, the quantity is really to small to experience any success rate.

Third, I genuinely believe a heating pad at a controlled temp would greatly increase the success rate by providing a constant temperature for the seedlings to grow.

In the end, I just scrap the whole thing as I saw fungus beginning to grow on the surface of the soil. I guess better luck next time.

-Bernard

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

I have some succulents starting from seeds at home. I ordered them off Ebay from China and other locations. One order germinated really quick, but I don't think it's succulents (fake seeds). Another order I got from china (~1400 seeds) never germinated. I will update more when I get home from work. I have many different succulent type of plants growing from seeds right now. Lithops, Mix Agave, Agave attenuata, Agave queen Victoria, Pilosocereus Blue Cactus, Astrophytum Asterias Sand Dollar Cactus, Mix Golden Barrel Cactus, kalanchoe, and Mix Succulents. I will update more with pictures when I get home from work.

• chefmomster2
    8 years ago

Impressive, Tony! I'm looking forward to your photos.

• Tony Luong
    8 years ago

Blue cactus

Golden barrel cactus mix

Mix agave, agave queen victories, agave atenuata, succulent and astrphytum.

Kalanchoe

Mix succulent seedling from China. I think these are fake.

Another mix succulent seeds from China that I think are fake. They don't look like succulents to me.

• Krista Ex
    8 years ago

Have you ever had success germinating Echevaria seeds since this post?

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Krista, if you followed up on my comment back in July, none of the seeds had germinated and I had described the possible steps to my failure.

Either the seeds weren't fresh enough, or the conditions weren't ideal.

Looking back and reflecting, I would give it another shot from a different seed seller and sow them in Spring/Fall. I generally believe seeds enjoy a fluctuation of temp to ensure optimal germination. High temps in the day, low cool temps in the night.

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Sebastian! Thanks for such a detailed write up! I really wished I had such specific directions when I was starting these last year. I have since bought a seedling mat during the winter, but I used them mostly for some rarer cacti seeds now.

If you get a chance, can you shoot me an email? I would love to get my hands on more Laui seeds, I can definitely pay for shipping.

My Email -- My user @ GMail DOT com

Cheers!

• Sebastian (Jae Sun) Lee
    8 years ago

I will be sure to email you soon. If you have specific questions about growing, I can answer them (mostly). :)

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Got it! Saw your email!

• Jamie L
    7 years ago

hey guys, I know I'm joining this post super late! I just bought a couple of Echeveria seeds and the directions say I should sow in 62-68 F weather, otherwise the seeds won't germinate. I was considering putting them in the refrigerator with a little grow light (which I know is a lot less than 62 F) but my avg temperature year round is 80-86 F. So upon reading your process I was surprised you hope for more heat, so I'm confused now on what to do with the seeds. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

I would say just do with the room temperature you have. A heating mat might speed the germination process a bit, but I don't think it's needed.

• 미나 장
    7 years ago

Super late to the party, but online resources are so limited! I recently bought about thirty types of seed, including Lauii. I'm not experienced, but managed to get 9/10 seeds to sprout after ten days... can anyone confirm if these look like early Lauii sprouts? I know it's probably impossible to tell. They are super tiny, much smaller than the pic might indicate.

• ctnutmegger
    7 years ago

Hello,

Yes, these are most definitely Echeveria seeds. There are two cotyledons (embryonic leaves), which is characteristic of Echeverias and most other dicots. You cannot tell if they are Lauii seeds exactly until they grow more leaves, since the farina (white powder on the leaves) does not show up on the seedlings until a couple of months after germination.

If you need any specific help you can send me a private message and I would be happy to help you with anything related to sowing Echeveria seeds :)

• 미나 장
    7 years ago

ctnutmegger,

Thank you so much for your message! I bought several varies of Echeverias and it seems all have sprouted, so I'm very excited!

Right now my main concern is that I don't kill them off, of my ten Lauii seeds I got 9 sprouts, I've begun leaving the Ziploc baggies open just a crack as the seller suggested...

I think I got paranoid because the other posts I saw on here mentioned the low success rate of Lauii seeds, and as a newbie, I didn't think I would be the one to get such a high germination rate.

Thank you again for your reply! :)

• CCC Z6
    7 years ago

Hello, im curious of the seeds turn out in the last post. Im trying to germinate also and looks quite similar to yours. Post March 14th, 2017

• Jamie L
    7 years ago

hey! I know you weren't referring to me but it's been 48 days since I sowed my echeveria seeds, this is the best coming along from the batch, this is echeveria hakuhou although if I must tell the truth, I'm still in doubt if they really are...

• CCC Z6
    7 years ago

Hey those look pretty good... i mean it doesn't look like alfalfa as some refer to, I'm not sure what echeveria hakuhou looks like but it does look like it could be a succulent. Good luck

• mesembs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It is still way too early to tell which type they are, but those true leaves look like Echeveria to me...

• Jamie L
    7 years ago

echeveria seed update! so yesterday marked the 3 months since the seeds germinated, can I also start introducing them into more sunlight? they're currently underneath a table and receive only shade...but "bright" shade, or should I just leave them there?

• CCC Z6
    7 years ago

@Jamie L. I was totally thinking about your post yesterday and was gonna ask for an update! Thank you... giving me hope! :)

• Jamie L
    7 years ago

ah I see! do you have any pictures of your seedlings? I'll begin introducing them to the sun this week then to see how they react, I have two others that aren't as big as these are but they have the same "age" I know they take a long time but I'm getting desperate to see them get bigger lol

• Jamie L
    6 years ago

hey guys! just wanted to post another update for anybody who might be interested, i keep on misting them daily but with the heat i'm worried they actually might need two mistings per day???

• benemak
    6 years ago

Hi,

I am new to planting and really know not much so far. I have been researching succulents and find them very beautiful. I live in West Africa and would like to know if it is possible to germinate at temperatures above 25°C (77°F)? It doesn't seem so from the research I have done, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you

• bernardyjh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Benemak -

The hardest part about germinating echeveria seeds are to get them to pop. As the seeds are so tiny - almost dust like, the possibility of germination is about 60-70% if say you have a hundred seeds.

I would keep them in zip lock baggies are make sure the soil is always moist. I would say most echeverias, depending on species, will pop when it's warm and moist.

Jamie- great growing! I only been successfully growing the common echeveria seeds. I would still keep them on the higher moist side. Until you know they are about size bigger than a quarter, you can slowly introduce to more light and fresh air.

Happy Growing> B

• Suzy Que
    6 years ago

Where can you purchase Echeveria seeds :) Thanks!

• Dipendra Kumar
    6 years ago

I'm new to succulent germination but I got all the seeds sprouted.

Let me know are they Echevarria leaf is somewhat thick according to me but are they stretching as I kept them in low light

• Nicole Gill
    5 years ago

I know this post is pretty old, but does anyone know a good source to buy echeveria/ succulent seeds from? Also, what are some good ways you guys have found to actually make the seeds grow? As in best soil, best lighting, how long to keep a cover on the seeds once they germinate, all that good stuff!

• Aca Sin
    5 years ago

1. Sterilize substrate (3+ minutes in microwave or 50 mins in oven) 2. Planters should be about 1.5 inches deep. Fill a container with good draining soil. Good drainage is important, 50% regular potting soil with 50% coarse sand, perlite or pebbles (~0.15 inch) 3. Echeverias have tiny seeds which should not be covered with soil. They germinate best at 18-20 °C temperatures. 4. Equally Water the substrate with water - placie a piece of a napkin on top of the substrate and slowly pour the water over it. 5. Let the container soak up water for 5 minutes. Leave the container to drain out the water surplus. 6. Spread the seeds over the substrate, leave some space between them. 7. Put the whole container into a zip bag to keep humidity 8. Avoid exposing to direct sunlight, but provide them light on some bright place. 9. The germination process usually starts within 4 days – 2 weeks 10. Start opening the container gradually so that the seedlings can get used to the new air conditions. Seedlings need some moisture, substrate shouldn’t be dry, but don’t overwater. and they need an ample amount of light – but not direct sunlight 11. Repot them when you notice that seedlings are space-limited 12. Examine pots daily for fungus infection. Treat with fungicide if appears 13. Buy only fresh echeveria seeds, and only from reputable sources, like www.rareplant.me

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES