Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plan2remodel

LED vs Edison incandescent wall sconces

plan2remodel
8 years ago

In my remodeled master bathroom, I have a vanity to sit and apply makeup. I planned for two wall sconces to be mounted vertically on either side of the mirror. The Astor Double is available in LED (3000K), two 60 watt T-10 (tubular) Edison incandescent, or fluorescent lamping. There are recessed canned lights in the bathroom ceiling that are LED 3000K.

The salesperson suggested I order the incandescent fixtures - she says the lighting will be warmer. I'm more inclined to go with LED. What's your recommendation?

Comments (12)

• chispa
    8 years ago

It usually comes down to personal taste. I would go with the incandescent, but my DH would go with the LED! We've tested lots of lights over the last few years trying to find the ones that are acceptable to both of us. He got to pick what lamping went in his office and I feel like I'm walking into a 7-eleven at midnight! Way too cold/blue/bright, but I don't spend much time in that room.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

But that's not just an issue of LED vs. incandescent. Our contractor originally put "daylight" LED bulbs in our corridor ceiling fixtures and it was horrible - blue and ugly. We changed them out to 3000s (from 5000s) and they're great. Also, will incandescent be available down the road?

• measure_twice
    8 years ago

Go with LEDs. They now have a range of color and can be ordered as warm white, similar to an incandescent.

The incandescent bulbs will have limited availability and then disappear. From a Fox New article of 12/13/2013, incandescents are limited to stock on hand after 1/1/2014

"It’s lights out for the light bulb.

On Jan. 1 [2014] it will become illegal to manufacture or import traditional 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs, thanks to a 2007 bill that set strict minimum efficiency standards – and effectively outlawed the ordinary bulb."

A caveat: LED bulbs have short lives in totally enclosed fixtures. Heat greatly shortens the life of the LED. You may know LEDs work on 1.5 to 3V, so it needs circuitry to drop the house 120V to that voltage. LED bulbs styled to replace incandescents have the circuitry concealed in the base of the bulb. Both the circuit and the LED create heat. That 10 or 20 watts in a totally enclosed fixture can really raise the temp. LED dies in less than a year.

• This does NOT happen in table lamps with open shades because there is free air flow.
    • It happens less in open cup fixtures that face either up or down.
    • It does not happen in enclosed fixtures designed with integral LEDs because the circuitry is outside the glass enclosure.
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Nobody seems to have caught that you are talking about Edison bulbs, which put out much less actual light than the equivalent wattage regular incandescent. If the sconces are just mood lighting, okay, but you aren't going to see to apply makeup very well with Edison bulbs.

• amberm145
    8 years ago

"Edison" refers to an aesthetic style of a bulb. "LED" refers to the actual type of bulb.

They do make Edison style LED bulbs now, http://www.amazon.com/30W-Equal-Filament-Edison-Bulb/dp/B00QK84H1O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1434566246&sr=8-5&keywords=edison+led+light+bulb

• plan2remodel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I called the vendor, Norwell, to get more information. The Astor Double sconce (model #9652) is made in China. The LED version is 3440 lm 3000K CCT (24 watt each side) and is expected to be available in U.S. in July. The incandescent version is 2-60 Watt T-10 Edison. Neither the LED nor the incandescent versions can be dimmed.

I'm still undecided.

LED is more expensive and when the bulb "dies," the whole fixture needs to be replaced. The incandescent version is 2/3 the price of the LED fixture. I would have the option of replacing bulbs with lower wattage if the light is too bright; OTOH, if 60 watt T-10 bulbs are phased out, then I won't be able to use the incandescent fixture.

• Bunny
    8 years ago

I like warm light. It makes me feel good and is generally flattering. That being said, when I put on makeup, I want the unvarnished truth. Just me and a magnifying mirror and light that will show up all the flaws that will also be seen in broad daylight. If you can pass that test, then more flattering light will make you look even better. If it's for makeup and you want accuracy, go with whatever will give you the most accurate light.

• dan1888
    8 years ago

I'd get the incandescent version and save the money.

LED bulb development is in its infancy so more specialty choices are likely in the future. You can already buy LED screw-in replacements that are listed as non-dimmable. Dimmable should eventually be available. I can't think of a reason why the incandescent bulbs wouldn't be dimmable now.

• amberm145
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The bulb I posted above is dimmable. But it's probably the fixture that doesn't support dimming, not the bulb. Or maybe it doesn't have that built in?

But I agree, get the incandescent version, and put an led bulb in it.

• plan2remodel
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will get the incandescent version for the makeup area in the master bathroom. My electrician explained that I can put a dimmer on any incandescent, but that LED fixtures need to be dimmable to be able to dim them. I've read on GW that an LED bulb on an incandescent fixture will draw more energy than an LED fixture, and that it will wear out more quickly than an LED fixture.

I still have more light fixtures to choose in other rooms of the house; somehow, my bathroom remodel spread itself throughout the house. Next, I need 2 pendant lights over the kitchen peninsula.

• shedthechrysalis
    8 years ago

We just installed a new Sputnik style chandelier that came with 18 60 watt Edison bulbs. The light that it puts out is very warm - like a sunset on a hot day. Because of the heat it also puts out, we bought 18 replacement edison LED bulbs from Lowes, same "wattage" although the light output is not measured that way. The bulbs were from Feit electric, 2200k and $15.00 a piece. When they were installed, we turned the light on and our house was hideously orange with even less light output than the original edison bulbs. It also hurt our eyes to look up at the light when it was on. In my opinion, this type of chandelier encourages great bulbs. You can't just put in little white LED's - it almost needs the Edison style bulbs so when the light is on, you can look at the bulbs and admire how beautiful they are. To make a long story short, we returned the LED bulbs because they were terrible and kept the Edison bulbs. We just don't use the light a lot to notice a difference in the amount of energy it consumes it heat it produces. Then again - it's 18 bulbs!