Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky3135

Are these Growing too Well Part 2 & Wicking questions

Becky Florence
8 years ago

Hello! So I've been potting up and re-potting a zillion plants this morning. I need advice on one that is "mounding"? I've attached a pic of it.....should I take off a bunch of leaves and make it lay flatter or is it supposed to do this?

I also need to know about wicking.. I've followed the directions I've read, but the one question I have is whether or not to water the plant once after setting it up? so do I set up the wicking system, pot the plant and then water it well or just wait for the wicking to do the watering?

And lastly I've also attached a pic of a variety I have that has wavy leaves (I believe it's Cajun Royal Knockout?) Anyway, does it look healthy?

Thank you all for your help!

Comments (7)

• Harawlins
    8 years ago

You can either moisten the soil before potting or give it a good watering once it's potted. In order to get things started, the wicking material and the soil have to be moist. Otherwise, the wick won't draw water. You also have to check from time to time to make sure that the soil and the wick are still moist. For some strange reason, mine sometimes dry out even though there is plenty of water in the reservoir, and then it stops drawing the moisture up into the plant.

As to the "mounding", I've had violets do this before, and I'm not sure what causes it. The general rule with violets is that they don't need more than 3-4 rows of leaves at any time. So you might consider plucking off some of those bottom leaves. It would be nice to root those that you take off, in case anything happens to the mommy plant. :)

As far as I can see in your picture, the one on the bottom with wavy leaves looks very healthy. You'll have to post some more pictures when they get settled and start blooming! Good luck!

• Becky Florence
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you so much--I'll cut a layer or two off that mounder and see what happens!

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Hi Becky! As far as that mounding I have a question. Do you have a bare neck under the last row of leaves? When I get that answer I can offer the next piece of advice! Rosie

• Becky Florence
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Rosie--it does not have a bare neck--that's why I'm not so sure what to do?? If I cut back the lower leaves, then it will have a bare neck!

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Ok, that tells me where else to go with my answer. I would say your plant needs a little "training". Assuming it is growing ok, here is what I would do. As long as there is no neck, cut a paper plate in half. then cut out enough of a circle in the middle of the two halves big enough to fit around the trunk and slide both halves under the leaves one on each side until they meet and stay in place. The whole idea is to gently prop the leaves up and out instead of letting them hug the pot.

There are a lot of ways to do this. You can use popsicle sticks, paper plates or anything else you can balance on the rim of the pot.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much. And believe it or not a lot of growers who do shows have to do this with some of their plants! Good Luck!! Rosie

• Karin
    8 years ago

Hi Becky,

I've had one plant (mini minx) do the same as the top one you pictured - turns out it was getting too much light. on the advice of a friend who grows the same variety, i moved it to twice (!!!) the distance from the light, and it has spread out and is about to bloom. it may need a little more light now, since it is spreading to a size too large to be classified as a mini....

Your second plant would probably loosen up more with a bit less light as well :)

Karin

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Karin, absolutely right,,,,,I forgot about the fact of too much light! Try Karin's suggestion Becky and if it still needs a little support then "prop" it up some! Thanks Karin! Good Luck Becky!!!!! Rosie