Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckvar

Need help designing these side cabinets and walls behind.

ckvar
8 years ago

Custom-made to fit the space and to maximize storage in our small bedroom, I am at wit's end trying to decide what to do with my 36" wide side cabinets. I do like to read at night, and these humongous lamps need to go, as I can't reach them from the bed and because they are ugly. Putting them closer to the bed just looked weird as I don't know what to do with the empty space on the outsides. How would you style these custom nightstand/cabinets and the walls behind them? Help!! (Please don't mind the water bottles in the picture!) Thanks!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 years ago

I don’t think those lamps are right for many reasons , 1st they can’t be working as reading lamps they are a blah design and you think they are too big I think they are too small and squat I would look for some that are taller maybe with a glass base in the green and as for scaping the table IMO not every horizontal piece of furniture needs to decorated maybe a nice water glass and jug instead of water bottle an alarm clock if you need one and that would be it for me along with whatever book I am reading at the moment

ckvar thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

I would do wall to wall, floor to ceiling - very simple, plain drapes behind the bed - with matching side panels (floor to ceiling) on the other window (which we can't see much of).

White or off white.

ckvar thanked Angel 18432
  • ckvar
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It seems like you all just about said the same thing! Thanks for the pictures, they will help me convince the hubs, LOL! I think maybe I should extend the rod for the drapes all the way across, then I would also have blackout shading when wanted by just pulling the drapes. We live in the Florida Keys, and light control is important! Everyone around here uses the wide plantation-type or venetian blinds for that purpose, but I do like this wall of drapes. Hanging the light for the night stand never even occurred to me. Thanks so much for your input!

• Angel 18432
    8 years ago

Have you tried putting "film" on the windows. We have it in our Florida home and it almost makes it too dark in the bedroom - for my liking. Can't really tell how sunny it is outside with than stuff on the windows.

• ckvar
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, don't trust that the film will come off, Angel18432, so I don't use it. And it's sooo permanent!

• Carol Singletary
    8 years ago
    If you do the wall to wall drapes, you can't have wall mounted lamps. But there are so many nice lamps out there that you can buy to replace what you have. Hard to give suggestions since I don't really know the style/feel of the rest of your home.
    ckvar thanked Carol Singletary
  • Angel 18432
    8 years ago

It was suggested doing wall mounted lamps with the mounts being in between drapery panels. Also, film is not permanent, comes off quite easily, in fact mine is starting to peel at the corners, just have to press it down to adhere again.

ckvar thanked Angel 18432