Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

This bud's for YOU! ....

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This bud's for you ... to figure out ... LOL I thought it might be fun to have a guessing game on what flower the bud will become. Some will be easy, especially if you grow them. Some maybe not. We'll see. Some of the photos were taken on a rainy day so don't let the presence of water standing in the bud fool you.

As long as it will let me edit the following post will show the correct answers as they made.

Everybody play. Let's have fun. Then start a guessing-game-post of your own! :-)

Comments (27)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The correct answers will be listed here with the name of who got it right -- at least for as long as it will let me edit:

#1 Crinum - Omar !!!

#2 Phlox -- Omar !!!

#3 Texas/Mexican wild olive -- Brian !!!

#4 Thyralis -- Chitralekha !!!

#5 Desert Willow "Bubba" -- Brian !!!

#6 Brazilian orchid tree -- Jolana!!!

#7 Verbena bonariensis -- Brian !!! and Omar !!! (sort of :-)

#8 Purple cone flower (one of the new colors) -- Brian !!!

#9 Wooly Bee Bush -- Omar!!!

#10 Bromeliad -- Brian !!!

• Ready
    • Set
    • Go
  • Vulture61
    8 years ago

# 1 : Crinum

#2: Phlox

#5: Iris (?)

#7: Rough verbena

#9: Wooly bee bush (Aloysia m.)

#10: Tillandsia (?)

Omar

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Vulture61
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Omar, you done good! :-) See 2nd post above. Even the ones you didn't get right are good guesses!!! Whoo hoo!

I'll be looking forward to some more IDs, but I won't be able to reply until Sunday evening.

• chitralekha
    8 years ago

4. Thryallis
    8. Dahlia

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked chitralekha
  • briaustex
    8 years ago
    1. Verbena bonariensis
    2. Purple Cone Flower
      10. Some kind of bromeliad

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked briaustex
  • pinkkpearls
    8 years ago

No idea on any, but how fun and what beautiful buds

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked pinkkpearls
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow -- y'all are good! Chitra, dahlia was a good guess, but it's one of the Purple cone flower cultivars.

Brian, I was wondering if there would be many people that were familiar with broms. I have no idea of the varieties I have, but I love them. They would be a wonderful plant to specialize in -- if this were Florida ... :-) Oh, and Verbena bonariensis (I'm going by your spelling ... lol) is a favorite of butterflies.

Only #3, #5, and #6 are left.

I'll give you a hint: All of them are flower buds on ornamental trees. Hope that helps!

I'd love to see others posting some guessing game photos. We all love to solve mysteries.

• briaustex
    8 years ago

#5. Desert Willow

I have verbena bonariensis around the yard. It usually self-seeds in inconvenient places and I'm one of those gardeners who will usually let a stray plant grow.

I grow bromeliads, too: pineapples. I've gotten them to fruit, and pineapple fresh from the plant is amazing.

Here are some photos of it progressing from bloom to fruit:

Here's one of the ripe fruits:

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brian, Desert Willow it is. It has a funny little bud, right?.

Thanks for your progression of pinapple photos! It's amazing to me that we can get fruit from rooting the top. Patty gave me a pineapple she had grown and it was good! Not too large, but very sweet which I didn't expect. It's a pretty plant as well.

Same here with verbena bonariensis. It comes up in all sorts of strange places, but I usually leave it.

Okay, anybody got any guesses on #3 and #6?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jolana! You are late to the party!!! But once you got here you're on it.

Yep, only #3 is left. Y'all polished them all off very quickly and are just a short synapses away from #3.

Here's another picture of more mature buds. The buds around them have opened.

I'm trying on the Orchid tree, but limbs near the ground I buried didn't root and it seldom produces a seed pod. However, this is a banner year for flowers so maybe it will make some seed too.

• briaustex
    8 years ago

Texas Wild Olive?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Brian -- you nailed it!

You all are amazing. I'm impressed with your plant knowledge, but not surprised.

Thanks for playing!!! ... :-)

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

I protest! I said #7 was "rough verbena", but no, it was "verbena bonariensis" :p

Omar

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

I was waiting for this and I protest with GT, : p, lol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Omar, I don't blame you for lodging a complaint. The two verbenas are so darn close except for the height of Verbena bonariensis. Thanks to Lorelei I have rough leaf verbena, also known as Verbena rigida growing here too. The flowers on each are very, very similar.

For your consolation prize you get to come this weekend and dig up all my seedling Arroya sweetwoods and take them home with you ... :-)))))

Plus I've given you due credit above.

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

HAHAHAHA, what a deal Omar, lets go, I'll help you dig

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked jolanaweb
  • Vulture61
    8 years ago

Roselee, I do not have a space for Arroyo Sweetwood anymore but I will dig out an established tree from my yard if "somebody" gave me a rooted start of Bauhinia forficata (I think that is what it is..) . Just saying....

Jolana, knock it off!. You even have an Arroyo S. that you don't even know where to put it! A row of of Arroyo S. trees against your fence would look awesome, though.... :p

Omar

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

HAHAHAHA, I have more than one now, : p BTW, it has been in the ground for 2 yrs, lol

you should have seen it

I will definitely help you dig the Bauhinia, both of us should be able to get a lot of the root ball and Ragna has umbrellas we could shade it with till it get established, hehehe

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

Did you already move it?

I already told "somebody" how to propagate it, but..nah!... She already has her awesome tree..

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

(((( Shhhhh -- whispering .... I can't wait until they encounter the thorns on the 'awesome' Bauhinia when they try to dig it out ... hahahahohoho ... )))))

• jolanaweb
    8 years ago

HAHAHA

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

Thorns? People called me " The Thorn Master" for a reason...

Omar

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

Hey, Roselee, I found this in a blog about B. forficata " every time you edge around this tree the cut root will sucker and give you a small tree". Hint, hint, hint....

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Omar -- actually I have a surprise for you. But you have to talk real nice to me ... LOL

• Vulture61
    8 years ago

Yes, Oh, sweet almighty garden Majesty!! ?

Omar

PS: Is it a rooted start of B. forficata?

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Vulture61
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well Omar, that's pretty dang nice. You've been well trained. You could have left off the PS, but we'll overlook that for now ... ;-)

I'm on my way to send you a message through Howzz.