Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karinenp

Need help to choose the best grow light

Hi! (sorry for my bad english :-P) I look for growing lights on the internet and I just don't know what to choose. I live in a semi-basement in Quebec, Canada, so most of my plants (succulent and cacti) are inside (I can't put them outside) and beside the window. I bought some seeds (Aeonium, Melocactus, Cactus, Ferocactus, Crassula and Rebutia) and I'm scared that they won't grow if I don't put them under good light for plants. Do you have any suggestion for me? Of what I've read on the internet, full-spectrum fluorescent light seems to be a popular choice, but I want to be sure before I buy anything.

Karine

Comments (14)

• breathnez
    8 years ago

I use fluorescent full spectrum lighting, but the newer T5 fluorescent, not the older T12. LED lighting has come a long way, so you might look into that, but I have not looked too much since I already have a system. Fluorescents cost less initially, but the frequency of bulb replacement and the amount of electricity used add up over time. LED's, conversely, cost more initially, but save in the long run.

• Pagan
    8 years ago

Hi Karine. I use three of those same exact fixture in my grow box, mounted side by side, right against each other. They are excellent for the plants you mentioned but the bulbs have to be no more than 6 inches from the top of your plants. At that distance you will get between 80k to 100k lux---more or less equivalent to being outdoors in direct sun in early morning.

The problem with those fixtures is that they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. As a result, you won't be able to find 18-inch, 17-watt replacement bulbs when you need them. I suggest getting the standard 2 or 4-ft T5HO setups. Or their metric equivalent over yonder.

Pagan

• Karine Nadeau-Paquette
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What is the lifetime of these lights? My problem is that the shelf where I want to put my seeds is 21" wide.

• breathnez
    8 years ago

Karine, here is a long, dense discussion about LED lights by bonsai growers. Lots to sift thru, but lots of up-to-date information also.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14788p165-indoor-bonsai-under-led-lights#170728

• Karine Nadeau-Paquette
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pagan, I want to buy those I showed you, even if they are discontinued (I'll buy extra bulbs), but I'm not sure because it will cost at least 100$. Do you think it worth the price? Do you think something like this could work also with a normal daylight bulb?

http://www.amazon.ca/Woods-2-Gauge-8-5-Inch-Reflector-150-Watt/dp/B000HHQ94C/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_y

• Pagan
    8 years ago

Karine, I've been using these things for 4 years now so they last at least that long. But when I tried to get reserve bulbs on Amazon, they were no longer available. Reviewers who contacted the manufacturer said the product was discontinued because the bulbs themselves were no longer available. I built a Japanese-style shoji lantern specifically for these fixtures so when they break, I'm pretty much screwed. I decided I will just replace the fixture with LED strips eventually.

That said, it was worth it for me. But if you have an open shelf, the 2-foot ones will work, they'll just stick out awkwardly on the sides. If it is a closed shelf, I suppose you're stuck too. There are LED strips you can install instead. They are more expensive, though and depending on the kind of shelf you are using, you might need to rig them a bit, i.e. tape them to a strip of wood that you can then hang (if you have one of those wire shelf things).

I didn't know much about LED grow lights when I got these T5HOs but if I knew then what I have thus far learned, I would have invested on the LED strips.

In point of fact, if you find replacement bulbs in Canada, could you get me 3 as well lol Because you just might have the last hoard of 17-watt T5HOs on the planet.

I hope this helps

Pagan

• Karine Nadeau-Paquette
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Can you buy from amazon.ca? Because I saw them there too! And wow 4 years! How many bulb did you used in that time? I was also interested in those LED strips: http://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Flowers-Vegatables-Greens-Growing/dp/B00N3HU908
  • Karine Nadeau-Paquette
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't know what to buy lol!!
  • breathnez
    8 years ago

This is something I would expect to be using 10 years from now, so would avoid discontinued products. The world of LED lighting is moving very fast, so a guess on my part is they are discontinued b/c of a combination of flaws(no disrespect intended, Pagan) and technology already getting outpaced.

The link you shared, Karine, allows you to use compact fluorescent full spectrum bulbs(which should be replaced annually I understand) without great expense, giving you time to research LED systems.

ez

• penfold2
    8 years ago

For such a small area, I would probably try some led spot/flood lights. You can find pretty cheap par38 bulbs on ebay. They do a good job of focusing the light downward, and thus don't require a reflector. I have a red and blue one in my greenhouse, but you'd probably want a more aesthetically pleasing white for indoor use. If you go this route, get the biggest one they have (typically 18 leds).

-Chris

• Pagan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No offense taken, ez. From what I can tell, the unusual 17-watt bulb fixture was specifically designed for something called Nano Dome, a seed-growing contraption. It's more likely that dome sales did not justify an entire production line of odd 17-watt bulbs.

But to address Karine's situation, I would just get the LED strips, like these. They work extremely well, they have very low profile for really small spaces. However, I have only been using them on a test plant in a terrarium for six months so I can not vouch for their longevity.

Good luck!

Pagan

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    8 years ago

I use a compact florescent light. It is extremely bright and gets my 40+ plants through Iowa winters.