Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portarossa14

Kitchen cabinets and beamed ceiling

Li
8 years ago

Hi there. We are building a home with an open concept. The style will be Mediterranean/European...but lighter in feel and color than I sometimes see. The great room will have a 15' ceiling with beams. Kitchen has a max 12' ceiling and my plan was to include beams here as well, although slightly smaller scale. There will be two walls with upper cabinetry...one with sink, window above and upper cabinets flanking the sink. Opposite that wall will be the frig/freezer columns and a combi steam wall oven. Our architect has suggested that the beams should run parallel to these walls and we should lower the ceiling.

My question is where to put the ceiling height, given the beams. I really don't care for soffits....though MAYBE if they were flush with the upper cabinets, with molding sitting proud. Alternatively, the beams could run above the cabinets with a gap between the ceiling and top of cabinet, but I've read many here do not recommend this due to the accumulation of dust, etc. I would want to minimize the gap because I don't like to have the upper cabinets appear to be "floating".

What are your thoughts? Any other ideas?

Comments (10)

• Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Example 1 with beams dying into soffit (though our beams would only run one way):. http://houzz.com/photos/11752409

• gwlake
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My house will have 12 ft highs ceilings with beams also. my first question. Will you have complete custom cabinets? If so this is a tad more workable. Looking back. The 12 ft ceilings have been a huge design issue regarding the range hood. I am going to the house later this afternoon. I will take some pictures. We are at framing. So no actual finished product. If you want 42 in uppers with the 12 inch stack on top. Plus whatever molding on top....I would have the ceiling touch the cabinets like your 2nd picture.

7 months ago when I started this process, having space between ceiling and the cabinets didn't bother me at all. But now thinking about my overall look. It is on my list of learning curves.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago

I had dust-catcher uppers once. Never again.

• Li
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ha! Yes, there are so many details I never thought much about until going through this process! I agree...I don't want dust and cobweb catchers, but does that mean I need some kind of soffit? Ugh. Gwlake...would love to know how high you took the range hood. That is definitely an issue too! Did you lower your ceiling down at all?
  • amykath
    8 years ago

Not sure this will help. We have beams in both our living and kitchen/dining. We have a space above the wall cabs. Still need to add the crown. I am not sure if this is anything like your house.

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

• gwlake
    8 years ago

Love those pictures.

It was so hectic, we did the electrical walk through today. I didn't get a chance to get the pictures. Okay...no we will have the 12 ft ceilings. It is open concept. Ceiling height was important because I love all things southern and grew up with super high ceilings. Your best bet is to vent hour hood through the wall. You need a certain amount of space if it is and interior wall. I didn't have that space. I have to vent through the ceiling. Here are my pictures for inspiration and potential problem solving. :)

This picture I would actually build out a soffit This doesn't have soffit but it could be a realistic plan

• gwlake
    8 years ago

As far as dust goes. We get dust on built-ins. We get dust on fans and light fixtures over bathroom mirrors. Cleaning is part of life.

• funkycamper
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If someone likes the look enough to dust, sure, go for it. I am minimizing dust collectors and love the free time I have gained so I can do other things.

• dilly_ny
    8 years ago

I opted to have space between my cabinets and ceiling because my ceiling is not flat and I would have had to get different height cabinets and soffits to enclose or just lower the entire ceiling. I just Line my cabinet tops with Old newspaper and swap it out twice a year. Quick and easy.

Since taking this picture, I have stained the beams to match cabinets. One beams is a real support beam for my upstairs and we added extra faux beams to make it a more cohesive design.